Thinkpad Tablet and OneNote

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by hajensen, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panzerfan

panzerfan Pen Pal - Newbie

N-Trig does have a significant lead comparing to Wacom in ARM support, which will be important. Having said that, it remains to be seem how these digitizer firms will move when demand for their digitizers balloon. I fully expect Wacom to work on edge sensitivity and the matter of power consumption for one in the coming year if not sooner.

PS: Lenovo... use X220 platform and make a slate out of it, with AFFS this time ~

2. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Can an entire OneNote notebook be exported as a pdf? This would allow it to be viewed on the ThinkPad. I use my OneNote mostly for reference material

Also, I received a quote from Lenovo for a ship date of Sept. 15 BTW.

3. cfdevkev

cfdevkev Scribbler - Standard Member

You can right click a notebook and save as a PDF. Appears to break out the sections and pages/sub-pages individually into separate PDF pages.

4. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Just received mine--It has a lot of strengths but android leaves a lot to be desired. Not very many good inking apps at all.

I mostly purchased it for reading the dozens of journal articles I read every week, and annotating the PDFs. It works okay for this purpose, but it's still not even in the same league as Onenote.

I'm excited to see samsung's new windows 7 slate. I love Onenote but I hate fans....Battery life and fan noise were the primary reason I ditched the EP121 and wanted to try the Thinkpad.:(

5. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

you seem to be one of the early recipients of the Thinkpad Tablet.... please, more comments, speed, productivity, etc. etc.

6. Abor

Abor Pen Pal - Newbie

I also received my Thinkpad Tablet today.

There are plenty of resellers online with stock. I think people don't know this and think ordering from Lenovo is the only option. I canceled my order Wednesday because my ship date got pushed to 9/12. I checked today and it's been pushed to 9/24. I ordered from another retailer with the pen included and it was about $120 dollars less than from Lenovo, so I opted for next day shipping. I would recommend buying it elsewhere because of cost difference as well as getting the unit faster.

This is my first tablet; I waited specifically for one that had pen input so that I could work problems on it instead of carrying around loads of paper. Moreover I wanted to pdf all my coursework so I wouldn't have to carry around tons of material.

Initial thoughts and impressions:
    • Looks sleek and professional IMO
    • Screen has nice viewing angles and is a pleasure to use.
    • If you have several apps open then switching between the main screen panels will lag slightly. This seems to be an issue for almost all Honeycomb tablets from my reading. Hopefully this is remedied in an update.
    • Netflix streaming works well if you switch EVERYTHING else off.
    • The note taking app works just as well as the preview videos. I'm crossing my fingers they'll update it with landscape orientation and additional options. As it stands now it's just a glamorized scratch pad you can doodle on.
      If you seriously want to take notes I think you'll use the keyboard folio or type instead of writing, waiting for the system to translate, cross out mistakes, rewrite--it gets tedious very quickly. Not to mention if you cross out words sometimes it'll delete half a word, insert a backslash or some other weird symbol you didn't intend. If you want to doodle or sketch drawings it works great for that.
      Another advantage is the recognition supports a plethora of languages. I tried with Chinese characters and it worked as well as you'd expect.
    • Not enough cool apps in the Android store. I've used an iPhone for the past two years and this is my first time in the Android store. I hope people switching will allow the Android store to catch up eventually.
    • The default Google browser works well for most sites, plays flash and youtube. However there are certain sites that you have to manually readjust the zoom.
    • Sometimes the auto orientation will bug out. Hope this is fixed in an update. Going into settings and manually checking and unchecking auto-rotation usually fixes it.
    • The dedicated buttons on the side are very awesome. I keep forgetting they're there and how useful they are.
    • The pen is great to use. I can see them squeezing more usability out of it in the future. The click button doesn't do much now.
    • The GPS is superior to my iPhone. It literally knows which direction I have the tablet pointed in.
    • The 802.11n adapter doesn't support 5Ghz signals, only 2.4. Neither does the iPhone 4 in that regard. My wireless signal seems to fluctuate (as seen on speedtest) but doesn't impede function. I wonder if it's just isolated to my unit though. *Edit* I tested at school and got some amazing sustained speeds. I'm assuming the fluctuations at home are due to my router.

That's all for now. If you have any specific questions let me know. I posted some pictures to wet your appetites.

Overall I'm very pleased with this tablet and hope OS updates will fix some of the issues I've pointed out. I think there is a lot of potential here, especially with a company like Lenovo who is willing to invest the time and effort to improve and support this product. :)

**Any weird discoloration in the images is purely due to my camera flash or my crappy color adjustment skills. The screen is very nice and is a large source of the battery drain according to the battery meter.

PS the pen includes two replacement heads as well as a little tether. I tried the tether but it makes the unit look like it has black floss hanging off the side. Not very aesthetically pleasing.

Attached Files:

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

How is the battery life in your preliminary testing? What about the color accuracy?

8. cfdevkev

People know - happy to hear you have yours in hand.

Welcome!

Nice write up; definitely do some more testing and post your findings as you go along.

9. richman

richman Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the write up cfdevkev. Regarding note taking, Evernote seems to get a lot of good press on the Android. Did you try it? Does it support pens and inking?

10. cfdevkev

Abor posted the write up above, not me (yet)! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.