Thinkpad Tablet and OneNote

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by hajensen, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea, from ALL the posts I have read, nobody thinks N-trig is even in the same league as Wacom when it comes to pens... but it seems N-trig may have touch input down pat while Wacom's seems to have some bugs from time to time (though more time is needed to see if the N-trig ones prove to be as buggy over time or not)

One thing that may be a big put off on these android tablets, even if they have a USB port capable of reading a USB drive, you will likely need to connect it up to a full computer more often than you would like to get stuck doing (not that often, but it is a PITA when you have to)... point is these devices are meant as secondary devices to supplement your main computer (or almost replace them for simpler tasks, or ones that don't need a better pen/ pen support)

So what I mean to say is that while these android and other 'entertainment tablets' are getting ever closer to a ultimate Tablet PC with the addition of active digitizer pens, they are still nowhere near as far along as a full Wacom/ N-trig Tablet PC (which can be gotten for near dirt cheap if buying used) in all areas except size, and battery life for that size... but if you need those features and can sacrifice the others then it is likely a decent device that will do 90% of what you need it to

Look at moderately new Wacom equipped Tablet PC's that have Core 2 Duo [or better] processors, you should be able to find them for $300-500 on the low-mid end for the HP 2730p, Lenovo X200 tablet, Fujitsu T4410 & T5010; the newer Core-i based ones are the HP 2740p, Lenovo X201 tablet, Fujitsu T730 & T900 which should be from $500-800
    They aren't as small or light as the Flyer/ Thinkpad slate, but the user experience with it will be much better as they can do everything, have a ton more horsepower, and are loads cheaper :)

2. richman

richman Scribbler - Standard Member

Theres also the IdeaPad Win 7 P1 coming out later in the year which will probably run OneNote just fine. Then you can run Bluestacks on it at some point for droid stuff and then maybe next year windows 8.

Lenovo trio

Random thoughts about some points in the posts above.

Regarding workflow - it's such a relative term and ultimately depends on the company, their infrastructure, staff, security needs, and then the individuals workflow. So difficult to generalize about how a tablet would fit in. I know as many people who could live completely with a tablet as I do people who would see it, at best, as a supplement to a laptop or desktop.

Personally I'm shooting for more simplicity and sameness so I would favor the Win 7 P1 with 64gb. Individual office apps run really well in 2gb of ram and I wouldn't be asking it to do heavy lifting or extreme multi-tasking. I also can't think of a "must have" droid only app (or iapd app) or anything a droid can do that win 7 can't also do. There's no way the tablet could replace my desktop or even my t901 but I can see how it would be nice to have in many situations. I might lose my desktop at some point, but if I'm going to have 3-4 devices - laptop - desktop - tablet - cell phone I'd rather have the apps and interface more similar than different. Bluestacks does look pretty cool too and would let me run the few droid apps I do like and still be able to keep an eye on the droid world.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. cfdevkev

cfdevkev Scribbler - Standard Member

About the N-trig versus Wacom, in my experience (generally note taking, diagrams and wire framing) the N-trig is absolutely good enough on the Q550; maybe 85-90% of the precision of the Wacom. OneNote on the Q550 works great as well. Assuming the Thinkpad works in a similar manner it will be a great addition.

As for device capability, it definitely depends on your intended usage - I will always say that. I write software that I test on my tablets for use in remote field locations; having a larger sized tablet like the Touchpad with the keyboard folio case and N-trig is everything I have been waiting for to proceed with some testing. Properly designed software really allows these types of devices to shine.

All that said, I agree that in many cases tablets in the factor are absolutely not full replacements for a full laptop/desktop computer. I am happily awaiting Windows 8 and am so far hopeful that it will lead the way to some excellent tablet hardware.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

5. cfdevkev

Thanks for the link... Nice to see some hands-on information before it comes in; I definitely take any of the objective views with a grain of salt though.

Still looking forward to it!

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So you have one on order then? I'll be eager to hear your comments. This is my favorite design of the 10" fanless tablets so far. I really like the look of the thinkpad keyboard in the folio.

Hopefully, the inking is decent. I think i'll be keeping my slate for now but like the improvements i'm seeing in small slates. When is your delivery date?

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I would have to agree this is one of the better designed 10in tablets, and I kind of like the unique touches Lenovo made to this. This maybe my favorite tablet on the market right now. However, with that said I ordered the HP Touchpad as a stop gap until a quad core Thinkpad tablet(either Android or Windows 8, but dual boot preferred) like this comes out. Then again played with the Playbook today and loved how the hardware and the user interface feel, and all that is missing is a pen(and may sound like a broken record, but a quad core cpu).

8. cfdevkev

I do indeed; the current ship date is "estimated 9/12" so we will see. Hopefully everything will come in one package. I think this will be my favorite one so far, and hopefully the inking will perform a bit better than the Q550.

I did just see the Samsung Series 7 (link) as well - that looks pretty sweet, albeit expensive. I need to work overtime getting the wife onboard for that one though :cool: . For the enterprise world (or my enterprise world) something like the Series 7 is what I need... but to stop hijacking ThinkPad...

I wanted to pick up the ThinkPad to do some testing for field usage. Having a capable device with inking and supposedly decent handwriting recognition, plus all the goodness of Android, could make a number of emerging technology solutions come together.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Abor

Abor Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually the device is out now. A quick google shopping product search for 183822U (16GB) will result in many sites that have it in stock.

I originally ordered off the Lenovo product site the day pre-orders were offered but they've been pushing back the shipping date since. I called and canceled then ordered from Provantage yesterday and will be getting the device tomorrow afternoon.

The online site also are $50-100 dollars cheaper than the Lenovo store, stylus included. ;)

10. cfdevkev

Yes, it is out now. I ordered the 64GB model and the dock and keyboard folio and my shipping date has been the same since August 23. It does not appear the accessories are available at all now, so I am not super concerned.

The price difference for just the tablet and the pen would be about $30... adding the folio and dock probably narrow that more due to shipping costs (direct from Lenovo is free shipping).

I guess YMMV!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.