Thinkpad Tablet and OneNote

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by hajensen, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hajensen

hajensen Pen Pal - Newbie

Seems like Lenovo is one of the few to focuse on productivity when releasing a new tablet (not convertible). I am therefore quite excited about the new released tablet.

But my main questions about enterprise productivity is how this works through an Android tablet:
    1. Is exchange fully supported?
    2. Can office applications be worked with
    3. Will pen support be as good as (better) than W7?
    4. What about notetaking - which to me is the most important productive tool - will this be supported fully?
    5. What about my 5 years of OneNotes!??!
    6. What about Remote Desktop?
    (7. I see that a keyboard is already an option - wonderful)

Henrik

2. Vandyu

Vandyu Pen Pal - Newbie

Your questions are right on and hopefully someone has some answers. I have been watching the tablet market develop and have been underwhelmed for their use except as entertainment devices. Now, however, Lenovo seems to have put all the right stuff into the ThinkPad. I, initially, thought the price might be sky high, but it looks like it will attract a lot of professionals and business people, including me, who do not care to spend $2,000 on a tablet. I'm excited and look forward to good reviews. The fact that it has a keyboard that can be attached and carried is a major plus for me since I write.

3. hajensen

I am also curious about how to implement the new enterprise tablet in the excisting work with computers; should the tablet replace my excisting x61 which I always carry with me? should it be connected as an additional unit to my x61 to sync info before meetings/commuting home and home work? Or are we only talkning about a bigger and - a bit more businessfriendly - smartphone/ipad?

My main question is if this tablet is ment as a replacement or an addition to excisting work-flow?

And again; whats with the one and only tablet application; OneNote...

Henrik

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think Lenovo has hit the design mark with its Thinkpad tablet. As far as the device itself, it is probably the best overall design on the market today. Where it fails for me is its operating system.

I love the keyboard/case idea. To have a thinkpad keyboard on my tablet when I need it would be really nice and make it a perfect travel business device. I have to pack a separate BT keyboard with my slate when I am on the go and it's a PITA. The N-Trig pen frees you from the extra weight of the case and keyboard when you don't want to lug them along in the briefcase for a meeting.

The matt black design is perfect (it really does look like a Thinkpad). The display is beautiful (IPS) and the aspect ratio (16:10) gives you more room in portrait mode than my 16:9 slate.

If the Thinkpad ran windows instead of Android, I would have already had my slate listed on fleabay and my preorder made for the Thinkpad. Android is a non-starter for my business needs. I have been using my slate everyday for 8 months in my professional practice and it meshes seamlessly with my office because it runs the same software. There are no compatibility issues and no need to ever convert anything. I use an SD card as the storage in my Notebook (which I still need since I use it as a mini workstation to edit aerial images) and simply sinc it with the Notebook and Network using Synctoy. I do a lot of remote editing with PDF annotator and handle all of my billing electronically. AFAICT, I would have to completely revamp all of my software. My main wordprocessor is Wordperfect:eek: and my office uses the Corel Office Suite:rolleyes:. There is no Android App for them AFAIK. So, we would have to change over to Office 2010 and I hate Outlook. So you can see that the Android OS might be a problem for enterprise users under certain circumstances.

Shame too. I really like everything else about the Thinkpad. BTW, there are 7 apps offered with the device. Documents to go is one so you can use that as a basic editor or dl Evernote, which I'm sure will work with the Thinkpad.

Here are my thoughts on your specific questions.

I am watching the development of this device with interest. W8 on a Thinkpad would be perfect.

Bronsky:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  5. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for all the info on Android vs Windows. I too am watching this ThinkPad with much interest. I might eBay the Q500 if this looks like a winner. This time however, I will test the water before I jump in. I preordered the Q, based on all the available info at the time. I'm very disappointed however, in the Q's processor speed which does not perform up to all the Intel hype. I'm with Bronsky all the way with Windows as the best OS for business. Windows 8 can't get here soon enough and is the only thing that would keep me using the Q, or another Windows tablet.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The lack of turbo speed on the oak trail atom stopped me from considering the Motion CL900. I can't see selling my slate for a slower CPU. I can actually run my Z540 Atom at 2.25 ghz OC'd and it could probably run at 2.5ghz if the HD 500 driver wouldn't go kaflooey at that frequency.

Bronsky:cool:

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

That is a shame to read about the Q550 as that looked nice. I was thinking about getting the Thinkpad Android tablet as it should be fine for my needs. However, what is stopping me from taking a good look at it is, mainly quad core nvidia and mobile cpus, and to a smaller extent W8.

I have right now quick office natively installed on my Droid 2 and from my minimal use, it seem pretty full featured for office usage. Plus, it support Office X files. Only downside I guess would be the fact it only supports Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

8. mittmark

The quad core Tegra 3 does make you want to think twice before buying ANOTHER tablet!. What a great tablet that would be though. Also, maybe it would support more than 1 GB of memory. Things are looking up for business slate tablets, more than every over the last 5 years. Today I took notes in a 12 person meeting using OneNote and nobody even batted an eye or noticed that I was using a windows tablet (Q550). The pen makes all the difference in the world and I couldn't have taken notes with a keyboard or typing on the screen without disrupting the meeting.

9. hajensen

Found this from IT Wire;
    "...There’s also 2GB of free cloud storage, and an ability to automatically “sync key files and folders” every time the ThinkPad Android is plugged into a Windows 7 PC...", which means that the tablet is ment to be an addition to the main windows7 (tablet)-pc:)

Henrik

10. mittmark

Can the Z670 be overclocked too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.