Thinkpad Tablet 3

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by vinuneuro, Aug 29, 2013.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there any word on when the Thinkpad Tablet 3 will release? I'm contemplating using single machine for everything, and while I like just about everything about the current tablet, it needs a bit more power if it's to replace my X220. I'm hoping Haswell's energy characteristics mean it'll be in next gen tablets. Afaik, know no Haswell tablets have been launched yet.

I'd also appreciate any comments on consolidating the tablet and notebook to one device. Is it a good idea or not? My usage is 95% internet, email, MS Office. Right now I'm only using the X220. It's served me exceptionally well with it's portability and battery life, and ability to drive a large high-res monitor. The alternative is to keep the X220 and get an iPad (which means the X220 will be end up being docked a lot of the time). As someone that has never owned a tablet, I'd appreciate all of your feedback.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If there is a TPT3, it would likely be a Bay Trail Atom device. I use a Thinkpad X301 at my desk and a Fuji Q552 as note taker in the office and for everything on the road. If Bay Trail performs as Intel suggests, it might be powerful enough in its quad core configuration. I'm skeptical. I think Haswell "Y" series units will power serious hybrids. A Haswell Helix might be a better option for you.

I've given the one device concept a lot of thought and am starting to think that a more powerful notebook hybrid and small (8") tablet might be a better combination. The 8" tablet will primarily rely upon Wacom pen input.

3. ibmthink

ibmthink Pen Pal - Newbie

The ThinkPad Tablet 3 won´t come until Q1 2014, thats for sure.

4. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd buy a tablet from a company that knows how to make tablets well.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I agree. Don't buy them from companies that don't know how to make tablets well. Buy them from companies that make good products.

I know you detest your x230t, Zero, but it does seem that many others have had very good experiences with the newer Tablet 2 and Helix. Have you tried either of them?

6. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

12.5" is already kind of small for me. Even if the Helix and Tablet 2 had better digitizer performance than the X230t they wouldn't suit me. If the Helix was around 13-14" I would have given it a try since I heard the digitizer is better than the X220t/X230t.

I've become an even bigger fan of Fujitsu because of the failings of Lenovo. I think I spent a total of $1400-$1500 on my X230t (that's including a coupon and buying upgrades myself when they were on sale) and I regret it.
    Instead of buying an X230t , I should have been patient and bought a T902 when it came out. I don't want people to make the same mistake I did. With that being said , old things can be way better than new things.

The used T5010s that sell on Ebay for ~$200 are nicer to write or draw on than my X230t. Who would have thought that a tablet from 2008 would easier to work on ( and more accurate) than a 2012 tablet that carried the legendary ThinkPad name?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  7. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Although I love my TPT2 I think I would be VERY hesitant to buy another tablet from Lenovo again. They are horrible at driver updates, and the TPT2 has had some pretty critical issues that they have just blatantly ignored. I semi follow the other tablet manufacturers drivers because sometimes they can be used on the TPT2 and most other tablet makers are fairly good with driver updates. It's a shame because I think the TPT2 is really the best Atom tablet out there.

The other option is a Haswell surface Pro 2, but I worry that it will be the same thickness and weight of the Pro 1. Why MS doesn't put it's weight behind BayTrail is really beyond me.

8. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Yea I have a similar feeling. And after experiencing such a sleek and light device, I cannot risk using any other size. But just like you I'm living in such a dilemma for buying another Lenovo device, though I'm really happy with TPT2.

9. Vogelbung

Vogelbung Pen Pal - Newbie

Obvious isn't it - BT is not a 'do it all' SoC. It's still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind an i5.

10. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah it is, but why not have the Surface RT, the Surface (Bay Trail fanless) and the Surface Pro (Haswell). Atom is definitely good enough for a secondary device, but it will not replace your main computer, I don't think I'd last a day with the TPT2 as my only Windows device.

11. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Its certainly behind an i5, although I wouldn't have used nearly as many a's. I was frankly amazed in the Anandtech article about how close the Baytrail devices came to matching the U3317's performance in some of the benchmarks. I still would need to actually use one of these Bay Trail devices before I can pass judgement for my use case, but I'm really encouraged by what I've seen so far.

I am in the same camp with tijo that it wouldn't replace my "main pc", but I could see it doing so for others. There are millions of people out there who have gone all iOS (and I think legitimately for their use cases), so its not hard for me to imagine that there are a lot of people out there who could have a Bay Trail device as their main PC.

Honestly though I don't know which way is better for MS to go, but I think since they started out i5 they have to stay i5 because not doing so would upset too many existing customers. I think they should make a Bay Trail Surface but as an additional device. Not as a upgrade to the SP1.

In the long run, I think the coolest running and most efficient processors should be the iSeries not the Atom. With the atom chips selling for ~$30 and the iSeries chips at around ~$300 the only advantage Atom should have is price, and I think in a few generations we may get there. Haswell Y may have brought us a lot of the way there. With an order of magnitude more money Intel should be able to create a more efficient chip.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  12. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Actually, my i5 in my Fujitsu Q702 and the older style in the T731, run very hot and use a lot of power. In the Q702 I have it throttled to 'low power' and it still gets hot enough to affect the touch screen performance. Yes, the Haswell will be much better but the power consumption is still higher than the Atoms. I still have my single core Q550 and I recently picked up a dual core HP Elitepad 900 and both run very cool and the EP 900 especially has unbelievable battery life.

For those that say 'I will never have a Bay Trail Atom since it is not powerful enough' I have to ask what the heck do you use a TabletPC for. The single core Atom in the Q550 runs all the Office programs, plays all the music, and displays 720p video just fine. I have loaded and marked up 1000 page schematic decks, edited photos, and taken care of huge Project files for multi-million dollar projects. The only thing it was not capable of in my usage profile is video editing. I expect nothing less from the dual core in the EP900. In fact, I have already tested the EP900 and it runs video on my TV over the HDMI pretty well (I have no idea at what resolution yet but it looked good for the fast check that I made). Looking at the specs for the new Bay Trail I would say it may do everything AND do the video editing to boot.

I know, based on the usage survey, that probably 35-40% use their TabletPC to draw and there may be limitations there, but other than that, what intense operation does someone need to do with their i3/i5 TabletPC that the Bay Trail likely will not be able to do?

13. Mesosphere

I think Bay Trail may work for me on my next tablet. I just meant that Bay Trail cannot cover all of my computing needs (I need a desktop). As far as heat/efficiency, I know we are not there yet. I think Haswell Y is likely very close, but I was speaking to the future. One of the things about my Pro that I really don't like is the heat it puts out. It is light years better than the old convertables, but it is still not at the Atom/ARM level. I'm just saying that I don't think there is a reason for things to stay that way and the trajectory looks to me to be heading towards iSeries being more efficient. With significantly more money Intel should be able to make its efficeint iSeries chips better than its Atom chips.

14. spinedoc77

I've been very impressed with clover trail, it's exceeded my expectations, which honestly were probably not that big anyway. Baytrail will just be that much nicer, it's supposed to be a major revamp to the Atom line. Initial benchmarks are quite positive as well, I think it's going to be a VERY nice alternative to the i5, not as powerful, but allowing a thinner lighter package with more battery life and less cost.

15. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Exactly. Having lived with a two device setup for a while I have found that remote desktop on a lowly clover trail can feel as though you're working directly on the remote machine. That plus ubiquitous WiFi means that the issue of computing power becomes largely irrelevant for my use case.

16. Bronsky

While that may be true, it has announced the Mix. The question about that tablet is whether or not it will have a Wacom digitizer. So far, other than the Surface, most Bay Trial announcements have had N-Trig or Synaptics (which looks identical to the N-Trig design) digitizers. Hopefully, the 8" mix has a Wacom option. It's a shame that Lenovo will miss Q4 with a Bay Trail version of the TPT3. Even deeply discounted, a Clover Trail device can't compete with Bay Trail. Sales of the TPT2 will grind to a halt in Q4.

17. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

In your opinion guys, what's the best tablet this month?

18. Bronsky

Surface Pro 2. Most promising Bay Trail so far is probably the 8" Dell but I'm skeptical of the pen, which looks like a retreaded N-Trig under a Synaptics brand. The Dell also lacks a HDMI or DP out. Two significant flaws. I like the look of the Lenovo Mix but there is no news of a Bay Trail release. So, for now, I don't really like anything being released except the SP2. I'm probably revamping my equipment to include a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and 256/8 GB SP2. I was truly interested in 8" Bay Trail tablets but I don't see anything I really like coming to market. The Mix was closest but Lenovo's silence has put me off. Bay Trails are available and should be in circulation soon after WP8.1's release later this month. Where is the news of new models?

dceggert and JoeS like this.
  19. Mesosphere

Just take everything he said, and write my name on it... except the note 3 because I have 1.5 years left on my contract.

Bronsky likes this.
  20. spinedoc77

That's extremely exciting to me. As happy as I am with Clover Trail, I can't wait to get my hands on the power of Bay trail.