Thinkpad tablet 2 shipping updates

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by philox, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Jeremyp

Jeremyp Pen Pal - Newbie

2. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Pen Pal - Newbie

I used a rather ancient powered Sony external DVD burner to install both programs. Worked perfectly. I am sure there are also work-arounds using a usb thumb drive, but I had the old burner, and it was quick and easy to use.

3. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Pen Pal - Newbie

If you are in the UK I see the TPT2 is now in stock at two places I checked out: Dabs.com and PC Business World.

4. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to add to the experience pool, I installed Adobe CS4 last night using my external Samsung DVD-RW drive via USB Y cable, one end in the tablet, one end in a wall socket adapter. Less than ideal, but worked great. When attached via just the tablet, the LED on the drive came on, but it would only let out a soft grunt when I attempted to eject the disc tray. :)

5. Windu

Windu Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got an email saying my tablet+keyboard will be delayed at least 30 days. Also got an email about a week ago that my dock was to be delayed at least 30 days. I am going to cancel the tablet+keyboard order tomorrow from Lenovo. I am going to order the tablet from some place else. Amazon looks like it has it, but its from a third party seller.

Amazon.com: ThinkPad Tablet 2 10.1-inch 64 GB Tablet: Computers & Accessories

says the model # is 367923U. Is that the one with the Digitizer and Pen?

6. ats0909

ats0909 Pen Pal - Newbie

I cancelled my order from Lenovo last week. Every day the ship date kept getting pushed back one more day. Tried to order from Newegg, but that didn't work out either. (After 3 days they still hadn't shipped it, even though they said they had it in stock when I placed the order.) Two places that seem to have it right now are pcRUSH.com and Provantage.com.

As best I can tell, the model numbers are:

367923U: no digitizer/pen
    367926U: digitizer/pen, Win8 (not pro)
    367927U: digitizer/pen, Win8 Pro

(anyone else who knows for sure, please correct this if it's wrong)

7. ats0909

ats0909 Pen Pal - Newbie

I cancelled my order from Lenovo last week. Every day the ship date kept getting pushed back one more day. Tried to order from Newegg, but that didn't work out either. (After 3 days they still hadn't shipped it, even though they said they had it in stock when I placed the order.) Two places that seem to have it right now are pcRUSH.com and Provantage.com.

As best I can tell, the model numbers are:

367923U: no digitizer/pen
    367926U: digitizer/pen, Win8 (not pro)
    367927U: digitizer/pen, Win8 Pro

8. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. Windu

Windu Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah I ended up first ordering from newegg this morning and then a few hours later getting a VOID notice saying that they were really out of stock. After that I ordered from Amazon and got the 367927U model. Amazon.com: Lenovo IGF ThinkPad Tablet 2 64GB WIN8 367927U: Computers & Accessories

When I canceled with Lenovo they told me that is was supposed to ship on the 15th (at the start of the month they said the 8th). This was after I had already received a 30 day delay notice from them the night before. (I have also received a 30 day delay notice for my dock earlier in the month as well). At this point, if the customer service person said that it was shipping in an hour I wouldn't believe them. Anyway, I canceled with Lenovo and ended up paying a cheaper price with Amazon with $10 1-3 business day shipping. My Amazon order shipped about an hour after I ordered it today, estimated to arrive between Friday-Wednesday.

Also this Lenovo PDF says 3679-27U has the Pen so I think I am all good. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...HrLPbQ&sig=AHIEtbSL0OXyXVAWAlGslrViJDkQUB51_Q

I still have the keyboard to get which was part of my original Lenovo order but I am willing to wait on that.

10. Resilient

Resilient Pen Pal - Newbie

Ordered Tabet With Pin on the 20th, Regular Windows 8.

Just got shipping confirmation last night. Scheduled for delivery on the 15th.

Have any of you had luck getting UPS to hold the package for pickup? I wont be around that afternoon to sign and it looks like signature is required.

11. alphaOri

alphaOri Pen Pal - Newbie

I was just able to order my Thinkpad Tablet 2 here in Germany from this site.

Its supposed to arrive Monday (14.1.2013).

It has an SKU of N3S23GE. I'm pretty sure that comes with digitizer/pen. Can anyone verify and put my mind to rest? Thanx

12. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

You can give UBS a call the night before it arrives. What I normally do is to ask they to leave it at my neighbor.

13. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I strongly suspect that what you have ordered is what Lenovo calls the 3679-23G. This comes without the digitizer and pen, and without WWAN or NFC capabilities either.

You can see the five Thinkpad 2 models in the 3679 series that Lenovo are shipping to Western Europe by downloading the Thinkpad Notebooks product book on this page:
    Personal Systems Reference (PSREF) sheets for Western Europe

View attachment 3026

14. alphaOri

I just had the most ridiculous conversation with a Lenovo representative. Read it below.

Please wait while we connect with you with a Lenovo Chat Representative.
    You have been connected to ^Gnanendra Kotaredu.
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. My name is Gnanendra and my Rep ID is 2900713382. Happy to help you today.
    David: hello
    David: I currently have an order in germany for a thinkpad tablet 2. However, it wasn't clear if it had the digitizer + pen. It was the thinkpad 2 3679
    N3S23GE
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: Hello David, how are you today?
    David: the sku was
    N3S23GE
    David: Do you know if that model has the digitizer + pen
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: May I know where you purchased it from?
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: From a reseller or from Lenovo Germany website?
    David: sorry took a while to get the link
    David: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 3679 - N3S23GE
    David: its is from a reseller
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: Thank you for your time. It comes with Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Wi-Fi, 2GB RAM, 64GB.
    David: yes, does it have the digitizer and pen?
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: On the Lenovo US site we sell them with standard stylus pen.
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: I assume it should be a stylus pen that's shipped with this model in Germany as well.
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: You need to purchase the digitizer pen separately.
    David: But the digitizer probably isn't included if the pen isn't included.
    David: Do you have a link to what this exact model contains? I want to make sure that it has a digitizer.
    David:
    David: Hello?
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: Checking that for you.
    David: oh ok
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: I apprecaite your patience
    David: no problem
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: David, tablets don't ship with digitizer pen. Only Stylus pen comes with this model.
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: There are two options for pen for ThinkPad Tablets
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: One is the standard Stylus pen and the other is digitizer pen.
    David: I think there is confusion between us. There aren't 2 different pens. There is a pen and a digitizer. The digitizer is a part of the screen that detects the pen. So if the tablet doesn't have a digitizer, then you can't use a pen with it.
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: The stylus is shipped with the tablet, not the digitizer. You can purchase the digitizer separately.
    David: that is not possible... you can't install a digitizer... it has to be installed inside the tablet by Lenovo
    David: I don't think you understand what a digitizer is.
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: David, here is the link for digitizer pen. This is different from standard stylus that the tablet is shipped with
    The agent is sending you to ThinkPad Tablet Digitizer Pen | Lenovo | (US).
    David: Yes, that is the pen
    David: and it is called a "digitizer pen"
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: Digitizer pen comes with digital tip.
    David: but the Digitizer is different\
    David: The digitizer is a component inside the tablet which is required to use the digitizer pen
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: Only ThinkPads Tablets come with pen calibration feature.
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: Well, digitizer is a standard feature and all ThinkPad Tablet - 2 models comes with it.
    David: That's not true, in the US, some models come with a digitizer and others do not
    David: I can share a link with you
    David: Lenovo Solutions Center
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: I got you meant. All the ThinkPad Tablets sold on the US Lenovo website comes with digitizer support.
    David: choose product line-> thinkpad
    David: then go to Thinkpad 2
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: You are chatting with US Lenovo sales. I will be able to help you with Lenovo products available in US.
    David: ok
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: I'd suggest to contact Lenovo Europe sales support, they will be able to help you with products and specs available in the Europe with Tablet - 2
    ^Gnanendra Kotaredu: I am sorry for not enqurining your location. I could have saved a lot of time for you by enquiring so.
    David: There is no difference between the tablets being sold in the US and internationally. I think the biggest problem is that you don't understand the product and its features. I think it would be basic knowledge to know the difference between a pen and a digitizer. I'm not trying to be mean - I'm just very suprised. Sorry we could have a meaningful conversation.

Please tell me, am I off my rocker here?!! Can a lenovo representative really be this ignorant about their own product? So confused...

Oh and I love their ratings system afterward:

They ask the following questions:
    How satisfied were you with the chat?
    How satisfied were you with the chat representative?s knowledge and accuracy?
    How satisfied were you with the chat representative?s desire to help you?
    How satisfied were you with the length of time it took for the chat representative to handle your chat?
    How satisfied were you with your ability to understand the chat representative?

And you can only answer with bubbles that say
    Strongly Agree
    Somewhat Agree
    No Opinion
    Somewhat Disagree
    Strongly Disagree

What the hell?! These are questions, not statements!!!!! I can't agree or disagree with a question!

I'm going to go cry.

15. alphaOri

Yes, I finally realized that and cancelled my order. Thanks for clarifying this though! You are a the first rational/helpful person I've talked to today...

16. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

LMFAO !

How can someone be a Lenovo/ThinkPad rep and not know what is digitizer and what is pen ? How can someone be a rep in general and not know the difference ?

And the questions! It seems that the one who designed the ratings has never read the questions. LOL

I suggest you to create a topic in their official forum. This matters should be investigated.

17. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Tech support people don't always get good training. And because of the quick expansion of Lenovo's market, it's possible they are experiencing a deterioration of their products and services. I've seen many people saying that, while still sturdy, ThinkPads aren't as tough as they used to be. Maybe your story shows signs that their customer service is going down as well. The fact that there are so many different models of TPT2's just makes the whole thing more complex for customers and customer service staff.

And the guy might be right about the machine coming with digitizer. I'm very suspicious of that meager $30 difference for the model with Wacom Digitizer + Pen. Maybe all those machines ship with the digitizer built-in, but it's somehow disabled.

18. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

You might think that with only a $30 difference. However, it has been confirmed over at the Lenovo support forum that models are being built without the digitizer...

19. makiyum

makiyum Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm this.
    I have a tablet with a rubber plug where the stylus should go. As well as a stylus which doesnt work. :(

So yes, some models are being built WITHOUT the digitizer, and this is horribly informed on resellers website. They only seem to have a default description of the tablet. The one I baught from claimed that all the models had a digitizer and pen. But nope...

20. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

I had essentially the same conversation on multiple occasions... in chat, no the phone, etc. with HP rep about the envy x2 and its fabled optional pen / stylus. I think in alot of instances these folks are either reading the same literature we are or they have less knowledge of the products than we do.