Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by noxxle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jmbeca

jmbeca Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the fingerprint reader come standard and could someone tell me where it is on the tablet? Never notice it in any pictures.

2. bizhub55

bizhub55 Pen Pal - Newbie

Haven't seen a model offered with the fingerprint reader yet. Might be one of the higher priced systems that also include things like NFC. I don't think they are available for sale yet.

3. bizhub55

bizhub55 Pen Pal - Newbie

The tablet 2 has 3 radios enabled by default. You can turn them off individually or all at once using airplane mode. I found that the GPS is of limited use as I don't have mapping software installed and all built in maps require a wi fi connection to download the map data, so location services can use your wi fi data for basic location info. To turn off GPS or Bluetooth, access the Wireless setting under PC settings. I don't know how much of a power drain the GPS is, but disabling it should help somewhat.

4. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

I noticed a high pitched whine noise when the tablet is plugged in and charging. The noise sounds like it is emitting from around the middle of the tablet. The noise stops completely, if and only if, brightness is set to 100%, or the screen is turn off completely.

Can anyone else confirm their TPT2 does the same? If you are not in a quiet room, put your ear next to the center of the tablet.

5. Burd

Burd Pen Pal - Newbie

That sounds like the standard 500mA @ 5V, same as one of my laptop's USB 2.0 ports. That spec shouldn't be the reason.

6. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

I had exact same experience with first TPT

7. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I was packaging off my Acer W510 today after I sold it and man, it feels SO much more solid than the TPT2. I don't know what it is but it just feels a little more durable and less "plasticky". Good Atom tablet for those who aren't sold on the TPT2 yet!

8. makiyum

makiyum Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my tablet today, and the pen slot has some sort of "dummy" rubber pen inside of it wich is really hard to get out. Has anyone else had experience with this?
    Also, I have an Wacom intous 3 and 4 pen. How do I enable these with my TPT2?

Thanks!

9. noxxle

But not your TPT2?

10. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure, but I think that the pen isn't a Wacom Pen. On the drivers page you can find under "Mouse and Keyboard" the Atmel "Touch Debug Port Driver" so maby it isn't a Wacom.

Anyone tested 64GB oder 32GB cards. Still asking cause im not sure if class 10 cards are fast enough :x
    And anyone can test if a 32 or 64GB USB 3 Stick works?

11. manuelcalavera

On vehicle for delivery via TORONTO (NORTH/NORD), ON depot

It is discussed that the touch panel is Amtel and the Digitizer and Pen itself is Wacom.
    Amtel is the manufacturer for capacitive touch layer and Wacom has provided both Digitizer layer and Pens.

64Gb cars has been installed. Works OK. SanDisk SDXC Ultra which is 30Mb/s Class 10 UHS-1. I'm not sure about SanDisk Extremes which is 45Mb/s.

USB 3 does not work with TPT2 and other Clover Trails.

12. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

You mean SanDisk SDXC Ultra or the microSD version? Thought TPT2 supports only microSD?

13. manuelcalavera

Of course we're talking about microSD .

14. noxxle

I'm obsessed with battery tests. Turned on airplane mode and read a book in Calibre while I monitored the battery gauge drop from 85% to 75%. Brightness at 33%. Play Time running in the background to keep track of minutes. Got 65 minutes during that 10% drop. That calculates to 10.83 hours total battery life from a full charge. With WiFi on, doing nothing other than sitting on google's homepage, I'd get about 50 minutes for every 10%, or about 8.3 hours total.

*edit*
    Getting the same 10+ hours of battery life reading in Calibri with WiFi on, but no web browsing.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  15. manuelcalavera

Really apperciate your reports.
    I think it gets better in time. And of course with better drivers.

16. noxxle

I'm noticing some unusual behavior if I leave apps running before putting the tablet to sleep. For example, if I leave the stop watch running, when I wake, the system interrupts process may consume 5-10% of the cpu until I close everything down, re-enter sleep mode and awake again.

For those of you having issues with sleep mode and inadvertently entering a deeper sleep/hibernate, make sure you have everything closed before sleeping.

17. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I doubt battery depletion occurs at a linear rate. You got 65min while going from 85% to 75%. But maybe you would get only 30min while going from 20% to 10%.

18. noxxle

That is possible. However, I've run countless tests in the 100-50% range. 50 minutes of web browsing consistently drains 10% of the battery at 33% brightness and about 12% drain at 50% brightness.

I've also calibrated the battery twice by draining to 0% and fully recharging.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  19. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

It is Wacom.

20. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

Can someone post a You Tube video review of this. Would people recommend it as a replacement for an X220T?
    many thanks