Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by noxxle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Please post those reviews/reports about battery life of TPT2.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Can any of you run the WPrime and WEI benchmarks on the TPT2? Post all the scores here or on the Benchmark thread. Thanks! :)

3. mios2

mios2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you, that sounds better, taking into account that Office 2010 and Chrome are more power hungry than Office 2013 and IE10.

4. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just got mine from UPS, very nice little tablet although I don't see it as miles above the Acer W510 in quality at all, they both creak although the Lenovo feels more solid, the screen on the Asus was nicer IMO and much brighter, the Lenovo seems kind of dull. I really wanted the digitizer though, otherwise I think I would have kept the Acer, I also hated the micro USB on the Acer which forced me to carry a cable, but hey at least the USB on the Acer worked with DVD's/hard drives. Quality wise it's miles ahead of the Samsung 500T, but what isn't?

6. noxxle

The Asus is 600 nits, while the TPT2 is 400. I'm content with the TPT2 set at 200 in most environments. Might be very hard to view outdoors, but I'm always indoors.

Spine, would you be willing to do some battery tests? There is a handy stopwatch in the "Play Time" app. I've tested with and without the app to make sure it doesn't consume additional battery life. It doesn't.

A very simple way to test the battery is to start/stop the watch whenever you use the device.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  7. mios2

mios2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you all for your comments on TPT2. I have some more questions:

-Any problem using the 3G network connection?

-Does the micro SD supports SDXC? (more than 32 Gb)

-Slim case ergonomics: From the pictures, I can see that it has some kind of flap on the back (back surface is not flat). I'm concerned about the tablet stability when you place it on a table and writing with the pen while resting your hand on the screen. If it is a problem, could the flap be easily removed?

-Does anyonw knows about the TPT2 availability dates in Europe?

8. spinedoc77

That explains the brightness. It's good and bad, the Asus was WAYY too bright even at the lowest setting, but it looked nice outside. The Lenovo is much nicer inside, although whites have a grey tinge and overall colors are dull, I guess that's more business like.

I'll try and see how the battery life is, I've been playing on it and installing stuff non stop and after 3 hours it's about 70%.

9. spinedoc77

No 3g on mine, I don't think the 3g ones are out yet. Anyone know what size SIM it uses? I'm tempted to pop a SIM in, I was prompted by the Lenovo software updater to download and install drivers and a management program for a GOBI 4000 WWAN card, interesting. Will have to play with that.

I have the slim case as well, it's quite nice. It's very stable but does have a bit of "bounce" to it at the top where the soft material of the cover connects to the plastic of the backing, I can see this becoming annoying if you are inking with the unit on a table, but it won't be unstable, the flap cannot be removed although you can lay it flat.. The tab in the back is ok, but IMO over time it is going to lose stiffness and not hold the flap in tight, although I might be wrong. I love the case though, it's one of the reasons I went with the Lenovo.

Oh and the case flap also turns on and off the tablet like the ipad ones do !!! Very nice.

10. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo Staff didnt say anything, but some guy at the online store said about 26. January in Europe.

I have a question about the microSD Card. Does anyone knows a rly good 64GB? I can find only the Class 10 SanDisk but im affraid that its too slow? Better get the Premier Pro microSDHC UHS-I U1 32GB? Im also not sure if 32Gb is a bit small :x

11. bizhub55

bizhub55 Pen Pal - Newbie

Received the Thinkpad Tablet 2 from Newegg this morning and wanted to share some initial impressions as I am updating, charging and installing apps.

Very Thin and light. Much thinner and smaller than I imagined. Build quality is good. No appreciable flex in the body.

Screem is clear and bright. Working from the desktop is difficult with your fingers and even the stylus as everything is pretty small. I can't image a FULL HD display on this size screen
    The case is nice. Better than the one for the Latitude 10 (I have that tablet coming on Thursday). I haven't figured out how to change screen angles with the case. Its a little too upright in its default position. It doesn't add too much thickness to the whole system.

Charging is VERY SLOW thorugh the Micro USB connection. It came with about 50% charge and is now at 84%, almost 3 1/2 hours later.

As previously mentioned, USB port only will work with specific peripherals. The users guide mentions its supports a mouse, keyboard and thumb drives. No mentions of other types of devices. I confirmed a mouse and thumb drive work and an external USB HD is not connected, but does show power indicators.

The stylus is too small, but as its docket the system, can't expect it to bee too large. I have another Wacom pen that is much easier to use. Had to calibrate the pen as it was way off from the factory. Still a bit off but much better.

System seems pretty responsive and haven't noticed any real lag. Word 2010 and other office apps load in a few seconds.

Ran Lenovo updates from the tablet and had no issues, unlike those found from some other individuals. Updated everything that was available.

This unit is for use by my department for support purposes and the Dell Latitude 10 that is coming on Thursday is for my personal use, but I wanted to compare the two. I mainly picked the Dell for its removable battery and am also glad to know it supports other USB devices as that is a feature I need. I'll post comments on the dell, as it compares to the TP2 when I've had some time with it.

12. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

I forgot .. does the Thinkpad Tablet 2 supports UHS-I?

13. bizhub55

]
    Upon further testing I found that if I connect a powered USB hub to the Tablet, I can connect pretty much any device. I connected 2 external hard drives and the other things I had previously tested.

14. noxxle

I appear to be getting better battery life after reverting to bios v1.10 from the newest, v1.20. Previously, I got around 8 hours. Now I'm close to, if not slightly over, 9 hours.

This is based solely on draining the first 15% after flashing and charging to 100%. I'll have to do more testing.

When posting your battery life, please note your methodology and bios version.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  15. e-schreiber

A battery Designer/Engineer posted on these forums once. He said that because of impurities in the battery, the first (dis)charges aren't very efficient. After a couple weeks of constant use, the battery reaches the peak of its performance. So perhaps, you are getting better results now because the battery has...let's say, "broken in"...?

16. e-schreiber

I'm gonna try it again.... :)

The TPT2 has been out for a while now and we still don't have its WPrime and WEI scores on the Benchmark thread. If any of you, TPT2 owners, finds some time this week, please, head to the thread, read the guidelines (their goal is to increase the accuracy of the results), then feel free to post your scores there or here. This is a "crowd-sourcing" project, so every submission (or correction) counts!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  17. philo

philo Pen Pal - Newbie

has anyone tried to install windows 8 enterprise and turn on bitlocker with the tpm?

18. noxxle

After additional testing, I'm back to 8 hours on 1.10 bios.

19. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Pen Pal - Newbie

I see in the User Guide it specifically states that the USB port is limited to a max of 2.5 watts. Could this be why it cannot drive the various devices already mentioned?

20. bizhub55

Posted with updated results