Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by noxxle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

That's quite frightening, tbh... I've been using the Samsung version (ATIV) pretty much non-stop since 9AM this morning (it's now a bit past 5PM now, so about 5 hours if I subtract lunchtime) and I'm only down to 70%... OneNote and browsing (some Flash video in there too) over WiFi on mid brightness... there's something wonky going on with your tablets, you should be seeing similar battery life since it's all the same platform and same 30Wh battery capacity...

2. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

You may be right. A popular tech website (can't remember the name) benched the samsung 500t at 10 hours of web browsing. TPT2 should be getting the same unless there is a driver issue. Or, I have a defective unit.

3. bemymonkey

I'd bet it's a driver issue. The same thing happens constantly with regular Thinkpads... I get about 12 hours of mid-brightness web browsing on my T520 with the 9-cell while many other users get 8 or so... Usually a clean install fixes things.

4. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

does tpt 2 come with Norton security? If so you may want to replace it with a more light weight one.

5. noxxle

I spend much time in desktop mode. Could that be the problem, even if I'm only using lightweight apps?

Does an app like Google Chrome consume more power when run in the desktop environment vs metro?

6. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

Although you've got to remember Samsung milks batteries. The Ativ Smart PC Pro schools the Sony Vaio Duo (7 hours vs 4). I did have the Ativ Smart PC (500T) and I concur that the battery life on that unit was much better doing the same tasks as the Lenovo and Acer. They've perfected something.

7. TheGuac

No it doesn't.

8. bdbdbd

bdbdbd Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm kind of wondering why people are comparing the TP2 to a mini-iPad in regards to battery life? They are not in the same market segment. If you want your long battery life in a Microsoft device, the Surface is the direct competitor to the iPad. If you want full Windows 8 Pro, there will definitely be a battery and weight penalty.

9. bemymonkey

Very unlikely... I've been using OneNote and Chrome in desktop mode all day.

Because the other Windows 8 Atom devices are (mostly) on par with iPads in battery life...

10. rzp2003

probably it has something to do with the constant interrupts that take about 10% of cpu.

11. noxxle

After the factory reset, the interrupts generally sit around 0.1%. Someone in the Asus 810C thread commented that he also noticed the interrupts process on his device and that it sits around 0.1%. A certain number of interrupts is probably normal.

I may try reverting to a previous bios.

12. mios2

mios2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Chrome (both metro and desktop) may be power hungry. Please, take a look at this chrome issue: Issue 153139 - chromium - Google Chrome is not battery friendly on Windows - An open-source browser project to help move the web forward. - Google Project Hosting

In order to check it, you can do the following check:

- run powercfg /energy at the command prompt
    - copy file C:\Windows\System32\energy-report.html
    - edit file. The clock tick rate should be 15,6 ms.

If you observe a lower value, probably chrome is changing the clock, causing lot of interrupts that prevent the processor to enter into low consumtion idle states.

I've observed this problem (other people too as commented in the above chrome issue) after playing a youtube video in a laptop from chrome. When playing videos, chrome (possibly other applications) lower the tick rate in order to prevent lost frames. When video is not playing the tick rate is restored to its original value, but chrome does not always restore it.

13. mios2

mios2 Pen Pal - Newbie

My laptop (core i5) shows 0.1 cpu (system interrupts) even when chrome has lowered the clock tick rate (see my previous post), in TPT2 it should be a similar number.

Have you issued a SPR to Lenovo?

14. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For those that have their tablet, how is the windows refresh/reinstall handled? Is there a separate partition for the window reinstallation? Is there any way to transfer this to a USB drive, similar to the recovery app Acer has for the W510? Hoping we can reclaim this hd space.

15. rzp2003

what is spr?

16. mios2

mios2 Pen Pal - Newbie

17. TheGuac

Only the 32 Gb model apparently has a flash recovery disk. It seems like there is a recovery partition in the 64 gb model but I don't see a way to put it on a flash drive. With only the OS and Lenovo software installed, you have about 34 GB free.

18. rzp2003

I am still sitting on the fence between tpt 2 and helix. If helix does not come in Q1, I will probably go with tpt2.

19. TheGuac

Does the Helix come with a digitizer? If it does, I may return the TPT2 and get it but I was under the assumption it didn't.

20. rzp2003

I think it does, but it's a different animal: i core cpu but weights more than 2 LB (1kg), and more than 3 LB with keyboard.

I guess this is off the topic and I will stop.