Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by noxxle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. blkrx7

blkrx7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Worth a quick read if your having wifi issues,

Thinkpad Tablet 2 Wifi Issue - Page 10 - Lenovo Community

2. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

I wont risk my 800€ for that... . And its kind of sad that you have to do such things for a expensive lenovo tablet :s

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed, but on the other hand, if this internal connector snagging against a plastic ridge is the cause of the problems, then at least Lenovo now know what to do. They should allow customers who have the issue to return their tablets for fixing free of charge. This is a product recall situation for those tablets with this issue, IMO.

Thankfully, my tablet doesn't have the issue - whoever built mine was taking more care than some of his/her colleagues.

4. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

These issues are pretty much normal for Lenovo these days - my T520 had a crooked hinge because one of the WiFi antennas was stuck underneath... luckily nothing was damaged, so after loosening the hinge from the base unit to pull out the wire, everything works perfectly. This is NOT acceptable for expensive equipment though...

5. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

If you get lucky and get a unit without build problems like m then this is a great unit unit. Light and great inking which is what I need. Software glitches seem to have abated on mine-with careful attention to drivers and all lenovo and windows updates.

6. elusionz

elusionz Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased the TPT2 on Lenovo Canada's website last week, and it looks like I have to wait until early March to receive it! Unbelievable! I am thinking of cancelling my order, but I cannot seem to find a better replacement. Also, did anyone notice the TPT2 was removed from the microsoft store (US) website? I inquired about this and they coudn't provide me with a reason but they said it is NOT likely to ever come back in stock. After hearing all the wifi issues, build quality issues, and constant shipping delays, I hope I am making the right decision to stick with this tablet. I could easily go and pick up the HP Envy X2 at Costco now for 800 bucks, but I can't seem to bring myself to purchase an HP product...that shiny hideous logo on the back just ruins it for me and the keyboard looks cheap with all these chrome accents (call me crazy!). I was thinking of going with the ATIV 500, but it has gained such a bad rep that I just don't know what to do anymore. Why is buying a good windows 8 tablet with attachable keyboard so difficult??

7. gcoupe

8. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Why dont you try Newegg or PCCanada or DirectDial ?

Same here. This USB issue has not hurt me yet. I wish calibration was precise though.

9. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd recommend Newegg because of their customer service. I ended up receiving 4 (that's right, FOUR) of the TPT2's from them. The first three had issues which I sent back. I finally got the 4th one today and it seems to be the best out of all of them so I'll probably keep it. So yeah... thumbs up for newegg, thumbs down for Lenovo quality control.

10. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine that has worked very well came from macmall. They have a good return policy but involves a restocking fee. Maybe their "batch" are good?????

11. PLinga

PLinga Pen Pal - Newbie

Does your model have the fingerprint sensor? Would you comment a bit about the workings of the 3G and NFC feature? How much was the device?

12. gcoupe

No - it does NOT have a fingerprint sensor. In fact, I don't think that any models do - it may be a myth. Perhaps Lenovo were talking about this before the models ever came to market, and it got dropped in the final design.

The model came with a Lenovo SIM card designed to work with the Lenovo Mobile Access App. Unfortunately, this App always claims that there is no WWAN hardware or SIM card present. It lies. I replaced the Lenovo SIM card with a pre-pay Vodafone SIM card, and it works perfectly. Vodafone also have a Mobile Access App which does the job.

The NFC sensor shows up in the Windows Device Manager as working. Unfortunately, I don't yet have another NFC device that I can test it with.

I got my ThinkPad from TabletXL here in the Netherlands. Current price is 879 euros.

13. Wupaz

Wupaz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I'm looking for a tablet for sketching, TFT2 is it good for that ? Any one try Sketchbook Pro ? Is it usable or lag is too important ? Or I have to buy a Surface Pro ?

Wup

14. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

I've installed Sketchbook Pro 6 on mine, and it works great.

Pencil lines are very fast, very little lag. You'll definitely see some lag with really large brushes.

15. manuelcalavera

And the calibration is not precise.

16. Edwood

Make sure to run the Pen calibration in Tablet PC settings. The default calibration is waaaaaay off.

17. manuelcalavera

Yup but it just makes it better, not precise.

18. Edwood

What kind of precision are you comparing it to? It's noticeably better than my Galaxy Note 10.1. And on par if not better than my Asus EP121.

Of course there's no comparing it to my Cintiq 21UX (2nd Gen Intuos 4 based), that one just blows the TPT2 out of the water, but the Cintiq 21UX is not exactly portable.

19. manuelcalavera

Edwood,

In some areas, the pen pointer (cursor actually) is one or two milimeteres out of its correct position.
    And the angle of this dislocation depends on the area, which means sometimes its in my sight, sometimes it goes under pen and I cant see it. If this is the calibration you're consent with, and its better than EP121, then I should no longer complain.

20. Edwood

Where is the cursor drifting happening? If it's happening all over the place, it's not good. If it's happening at the very edges of the screen, it's unfortunately the norm for Wacom digitizers. It's magnified by the fact that the screen is so small. But actually, the cursor drift at the edges is a lot better than other Wacom based Tablets I've tried that are larger (mainly 12")