Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by noxxle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got my TPT2 in from B&H.

It's going to have to go back because of some nasty yellow discolored streak in the bottom left LCD.

2. Edwood

Anyone able to get smooth playback with MPC-HC and 720P x.264 MKV files?

I tried every setting I could think of and it either has nasty gray blocking messy crap that unwatchable, or it's stutter city with audio out of sync.

Very disappointed with this thing. I really wanted to like it. But as it stands, it can't even do what my 2 Year old Sony Vaio P can do. Perhaps there's a video driver I need to install to get it to work with DXVA?

3. SeaNut

SeaNut Pen Pal - Newbie

@Edwood

Don't have any of the file types you refer to handy, or I'd try playback on my tablet. However, back on 1/19 manualcalavera and I discussed how to make sure your drivers are up-to-date. You cannot trust the Lenovo updater or Windows updater to pull down the most current drivers. My tablet needed at least a half a dozen drivers updated. That was the first thing I did and I haven't had any of the issues others are dealing with (except for the unpowered USB port). Hopefully getting your drivers updated will get you the playback you're looking for.

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Might not be the solution you want, but you can try VLC and see if the playback is better. I've seen cases in which MPC-HC would stutter with a given file, but play perfectly on VLC. If it doesn't work, try the tips posted on the threads below:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/55046-guide-smooth-video-playback-vivo-tab.html
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/53988-500t-dxva-not-working-h264-videos.html

5. Edwood

6. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep this works well with MPC-HC but the problem comes in when you try to output to a 1080p TV it starts dropping frames because the GPU is being overworked I think. The CPU is only being utilized at around 10% to play it but the GPU is probably near 100%. So for watching just on the tablet it's fine, but for outputting to a 1080p TV via HDMI we need a different method.

8. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

So it drains more battery when we use that method for watching movies in the tablet ?

9. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure how much power the GPU and CPU consume separately but since they're both on the same chip I don't think you'll ever find out. I think you'll get better battery life using the GPU for most of the work though. I'll test this eventually to confirm.

10. DNAlx

DNAlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Have to send mine in for repair for the screen blotches when pressed/misplaced front facing webcam anyway. Hopefully the pressure sensitivity magically appears when I get it back.

11. dart22

dart22 Pen Pal - Newbie

12. bem

bem Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone here have the tpt2 with the model 3679-23U or 3679-3G can confirm if a wacom pen works with it?
    I know that it doesn't come with the stylus (but can we open and use the sylo?) but maybe it has wacom support and if i buy on wacom digitizer maybe it works no?

13. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...Does anyone here have the tpt2 with the model 3679-xxx...>>

bem: I'm not sure if this comment is relevant, or not, but I happened to test-drive a TPT2 at my local Micro Center last weekend. Although I didn't notice the model number, it was a TPT2 version without a pen. (Looking at the pen silo at upper left, the hole was filled by a black plastic cap. The cap didn't come out (and I tried pretty hard).)

Anyway, it was next to a Samsung ATIV T700, which had the S-pen still installed. I took the S-pen and tried several times to make the TPT2 react, either by mousing on the desktop or inking in Journal. Nothing worked. From this, I conclude that TPT2 SKUs that do not come with a pen (or don't offer the pen as an accessory) don't have a digitizer installed...

Again, not sure that this applies to your unit...

14. Ihmotep

Ihmotep Pen Pal - Newbie

The 3679-23U is not a penabled tablet according to my information. the 3G version I have no idea on.

15. bem

bem Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I do not own this unit. but i was wondering about this... Because there are 2 models here in portugal, and this is one of them. Ok thanks a lot Steve

16. bem

bem Pen Pal - Newbie

lhmotep the 3679-23G is not 3G version. I think the first is the serial in USA and the second is the serial number in western europe

17. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

The 3679-23G model not only comes without a stylus - it is built WITHOUT the Wacom active digitizer layer inside the unit. So buying a TPT2 pen, or trying to use a Wacom pen, is pointless - it won't work.

The European TPT2 models that are listed in the Lenovo document here (the ThinkPad Notebooks PDF) that come with the pen are the ones built with an active digitizer. Those listed without a pen are built without the active digitizer.

I have a 3679-25G model, and that comes with pen, active digitizer, WWAN (3G) and NFC.

This thread on the Lenovo Community Forum contains a post from a Lenovo employee confirming that if a TPT2 hasn't got a pen, it also hasn't got an active digitizer, it's purely a Touch screen.

18. ats0909

ats0909 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my TPT2 for almost 3 weeks. Here are a few notes for those thinking about purchasing one.

- It's very light and thin. I've seen the complaints about build quality, but so far the build quality seems fine to me.
    - After calibration, inking works fine. And other Wacom pens work. (Tried a pen from an old Thinkpad X201 tablet, and it worked well, including the eraser.)
    - Windows 8 has some nice features, but it's buggy. I've had to force reboot many times.
    - Processor is OK but occasionally sluggish.
    - The built-in Windows 8 Mail program is awful. This is probably one of my bigger pet peeves, but obviously this is not the TPT2's fault.
    - But Outlook works well in the desktop mode.
    - I purchased two mini-HDMI-to-VGA adapters, but I still can't get the unit to work with a projector.
    - I haven't had any problems with WiFi range or connectivity -- that's been pretty smooth for me.
    - screen auto-rotate is not real smooth. Sometimes it's slow to respond, sometimes it flips on you when it shouldn't have.
    - the slim case is OK, but not great. Not real sturdy when you're using it as a stand.

Overall it's a fairly impressive device. Just wish it had all the same features and functionality but with the smoothness and reliability of an iPad.

19. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

I tested CPU playback with codecs vs. GPU playback last night and here's what I found.

I used a 1 hour clip with MPC-HC. First without any external filters, just codecs. CPU was pegged at around 30% utilization during playback (1280x720 x.264 video). Screen brightness was at 50% (with auto screen brightness OFF) playing audio through the speakers at 50% volume. The second time I used the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder external filter which pegged CPU utilization at around 7-8% during playback.

For CPU playback I extrapolated about 6.5 hours versus the GPU playback which I extrapolated to be a bit over 8 hours. So I think with regards to just watching videos on the device, GPU is the preferred method.

20. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

Just received my THIRD TPT2 today and this one has wifi issues. I actually compared my old one and new one side-by-side and it's glaringly obvious. The new one loses connection through a thin wall, while the other stays strong. This is infuriating... sending them all back. I don't think it's worth trying for a fourth at this point.