Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by noxxle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

I noticed the misaligned camera too. Doesn't affect photos that I can tell though.

2. mdonahuerib

mdonahuerib Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed the backlight bleed-through on the the Windows button as well. Maybe it's a feature so you can find it in the dark :) Haven't used the camera much yet.

3. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my replacement TPT2 after sending back the first for some screen issues. The new one doesn't have the ripples nearly as badly as the old one so it's acceptable for me. However, what the new one does have is a physically bent casing so the screen is actually coming out of the frame slightly in the lower part of the device (left of center). It doesn't seem to be a problem that would interfere with use but it is kind of annoying... your nail would catch in that spot where as the other edges it wouldn't. I'm just wondering how these things manage to leave the factory unnoticed, it's seriously sad. Sigh... I don't know if I'll return the new one since everything else seems to be fine... will just wait and see I guess.

4. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't really want to re-read all 20+ pages of posts, but what are the still unresolved issues with the TPT2?

From memory, I know that the USB port only works on thumbdrives, and not optical drives or external HDD. Do devices like a mouse or KB work?
    Also, from my recollection, the impression is that the TPT2 is not really well-built as one would expect for a business class tablet.
    Then, there is the issue of being unable to boot from USB, something about the secure UEFI crap, which apparently is present in all Clovertrail tablets...

Are there any more issues a buyer should be aware of?

5. Ihmotep

Ihmotep Pen Pal - Newbie

The USB does not put out enough power to run external HD or Optical drives - BUT you can use a powered hub and they work.

Mice and keyboards do work. I have hooked up via a non powered hub a thumbdrive, keyboard and trackball/mouse and they all worked (at the same time).

My Tablet seems pretty well made to me. It has a nice feel and I have not had any issues yet (But then I have had it only a few days so far).

Booting from USB I have no idea on. I honestly got my tablet mainly as a note taking and sketch pad, so was/am not too concerned with that.

6. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

I've no complaints about the build quality. The USB power issue doesn't affect me. I've attached a Microsoft Arc keyboard via the USB port without issue. I have an issue with the Lenovo Mobile Access app, but that's not a showstopper. Either Macheen fix it, or I switch to another service provider.

On the whole, I'm still delighted with the Thinkpad 2.

7. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok either I'm unlucky or these things have some serious build quality issues. This is my 2nd TPT2, after I sent back to replace the first one for screen problems. Here are pics of the new one that seems to have the glass separating from the rest of the body... (last pic is the right side which is fine)

Question is should I send it back for another replacement or just get a refund and go for a different brand?

Attached Files:

• gap1.jpg
      gap1.jpg
      File size:
      82.8 KB
      Views:
    • gap2.jpg
      gap2.jpg
      File size:
      29.9 KB
      Views:
    • gap3.jpg
      gap3.jpg
      File size:
      95.8 KB
      Views:
  8. DNAlx

DNAlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got mine and also have awkward build issues. The front facing camera isn't completely centered in opening of the bezel, so much so that you can actually see around one side of it into the tablet itself. It's annoying because it's the front camera and you see it all the time. I don't want to wait for a new unit to come in, and the camera still works, so maybe I'll just deal. Probably will hurt resale value though if there will be any at the end of this.

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Re: the Thinkpad keyboard- I know it's not a clamshell, but does it magnetically "attach" the slate when you dock the slate to do typing? My mother in law has an iPad with a Logitech keyboard, and it's a fantastic pairing. The keyboard functions as a light magnetic cover, you then have to detach it and the iPad physically locks in place at a fixed angle (like the TP2), but the connection is also magnetized enough that you can actually lift the keyboard up by grabbing the IPad only. The connection is that strong. Its simple, elegant, and functional on a lap. This is the sort of tech the TP2 should have, if it's not going to be a clamshell. How does it actually work though?

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I read somewhere (probably around here) that the slate merely sits on the keyboard and that any wide movement can make it fall off. If true, that's pretty sloppy for a "business-grade" machine. The TPT2's keyboard is quite disappointing.

11. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep. It just rests on a small plastic lip that folds up from the keyboard. It really needs to be used on a flat surface. I guess Lenovo didn't think users would want to do much typing with a Windows tablet. They have really dropped the ball with this product.

12. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Logitech K810, excellent keyboard that also pairs to 3 different devices simultaneously. Still not ideal for directly on the lap use, but table top use I prefer to have the tablet propped up in a case or Arkon stand, with Keyboard on table in front of it.

13. Windu

Windu Pen Pal - Newbie

the keyboard works fine in your lap, I use it all the time like that.

14. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

I have used probably 20 tablets beginning with when tablet pc first came out. I was always waiting for a big enough, light enough, balanced enough tablet pc that I could ink for hours on student papers, dissertation chapters etc. The TP2 is perfect for that (except for the 16x9 but there is none that isn't except the elitepad and it does not have wacom pen/digitizer but a different one I don't trust. The atom processor can be slow--mostly noticed on 3+ desktop apps open or installing apps. A little fiddling with drivers but all has gone well. I don't have the problems with sleep, build quality, battery life (I got 8-9 hours the day I was updated, rebooting and installing all day!) and I don't mind the unpowered usb port.

So all of you inkers---take a look at this one. I abandoned the surface pro because I both got tired of waiting and was concerned especially about how it weight almost 3/4 of a pound more than the TP2, seems more elongated (is longer), and of less concern is half the battery life. I am very pleased--only had 3 days but all signs are good for how I use it (inking, email, internet, some word processing). I have not tried the external monitor or projector yet--but even if that is problematic---I think it will be a keeper for me. I can use my zenbook for powerpoint.

15. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

Short question. When you got your TPT2 was there a normal "screen protector" on the display to take off? Like on cell phones, ...?

16. bam3000

bam3000 Pen Pal - Newbie

No. Only one nylon bag covering the whole unit.

17. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

Not on mine - the whole tablet was in a plastic bag. The Windows button had a clear plastic protector on it though...

18. bam3000

bam3000 Pen Pal - Newbie

19. DNAlx

DNAlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you getting pressure sensitivity in Onenote/Journal/any program?

20. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

I get it in both of them.