Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by noxxle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually yes. I recall that the updater didn't pick up the latest from the website.

2. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

How can I know what version of driver I'm using on my Tablet so I can decide whether to install it or not ? Some of the drivers in Device Manager are written in codes :(

noxxle and every other TPT2 owner

Please fully charge the TPT2. Then report how many percentage does it drops in 1 hour ? Both Wifi on, and Wifi off. ( I have turned off GPS and BT )
    These kinda statistic would help everyone.

3. noxxle

Search my posts, I conducted many, many tests. Web browsing should get you about 8 hours if you have brightness around 40%. Wifi off, or on but not in use, should get you 10 hours.

4. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a question about the case/sleeve. The two compartment one for tablet and keyboard. If anyone has one can you say whether or not the keyboard compartment would hold another device, instead of a keyboard, if that other device was about half an inch longer. Looking at the pics it looks like the sides of the case are elasticated (?) and might have some give. I appreciate it might be a tight fit but any info would be appreciated.

5. SeaNut

SeaNut Pen Pal - Newbie

There are instructions in each README file associated with each updated driver on the Lenovo site. Inside the readme file is a section that explains how/where to confirm the current driver version. Here is an extract from the README for the Graphics driver update:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
    Version 9.14.3.1099

[Important updates]
    Nothing.

[New functions or enhancements]
    - Improved driver stability.

[Problem fixes]
    Nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DETERMINING WHICH VERSION IS INSTALLED

1. Press the Windows logo button to display the Start screen.
    2. Swipe in from the bottom edge of the touchscreen to display the App bar.
    3. Select All apps.
    4. Select Control Panel.
    5. Select Programs.
    6. Select Programs and Features.
    7. Select Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver.
    8. Check the product version in the Details Pane shown at the bottom of the
    screen.

Some updates have to be installed as a set w/ others, and the README explains which drivers need to be done together. It's pretty tedious, but that's how I updated mine the day it arrived, file by file, carefully comparing the drivers I had on the tablet w/ the ones listed on the Lenovo site. For what it's worth, I haven't had any of the problems that others are reporting.....so far. I haven't put the tablet through its paces yet, so that is subject to change, but so far (four days and counting, with intermittent use) I haven't run across any glitches yet.

Hopefully updated drivers can provide you w/ some improvements in performance and stability.

6. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

@SeaNut

Thanks for your answer.

I updated everything last night. The update utility was not getting any update at all! I updated 7 drivers. So what is update utility about ?

7. Ihmotep

Ihmotep Pen Pal - Newbie

Well my Tablet arrived this morning (Not bad since I ordered it Friday) and I have spent the day playing with it. I took time to charge it as well as do all the updates (automatic as well as manual) then loaded some apps and Sketchbook pro v6 (my preferred drawing program). So far I love it! I have a Motion computing L series pen with a felt tip and am really loving the tablet as a sketch pad. I fiddled with the calibration a bit and while it is still a tad ff from where I would be happy, it is not too bad. I did notice there are 2 calibration routines - you can run Tabcal and get 8 data points (only worked in landscape mode for me though) and the tablet calibration where you could set if portrait or landscape (I did that one in portrait). It only had 4 data points.

I had kindle, nook, program updates, etc. going while I was sketching for a little over an hour and burned 10% of the battery. Not too bad so far.

8. mdonahuerib

mdonahuerib Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I've had my TPT2 for nearly a week. I will post fuller first impressions later, but here are a couple of remarks and questions.

1) Not sure about the build quality. Looks solid enough, but yesterday it fell from my hands to a wooden floor, while protected by the Lenovo slim case. Result? No damage as such, but the case cracked open, resulting in the USB port protector detaching. The case went open most of the way around, at least a couple of millimeters wide. Easy enough to pop back together (lots of satisfying clicks afterward) but this would not have happened with an iPad, or heck, even a 1st gen Kindle Fire. Actually I speak from experience, as I have both.

2) Lots of bugginess with software installs, including from bundled software like the System Update utility. Weirdly, even the initial MS Office installation caused the system to lock up while installing updates. Result: lots of system instability. I've reset to factory twice now, and will probably do so again before too much longer, as leaving the machine on overnight results in a crash (black screen requiring reset button). I've used Macs for years, and I have to say returning to the PC world has been somewhat frustrating. You can have plenty of problems with Macs, but not generally with the bundled software, and if you have a crash, you usually get more information. Win8 helpfully tells me my PC encountered a problem (I noticed) and asks whether it can send a crash report (tells me which files it will send). However, nothing about what was happening when the PC crashed.

3) DRM-protected Flash video doesn't work - at least not well. I get lots of frame-dropping, sometimes even in SD, from Amazon Instant Video, Vudu and CinemaNow. What's strange is the CPU never goes much over 30%. It's not Flash video itself - I've streamed 1080p YouTube video with no issue. Frustrating.

Despite all of the above, I find plenty to love about the table. Light, enables me to install desktop apps such as Lotus Notes and proprietary work apps, nice to have a full-size USB port (would be better if it powered external drives, though). Seems to work flawlessly running Plex Media Server (Win8 Plex Client is awesome). I just wish the solution as a whole worked better ... feels like Lenovo didn't test the full software installation of everything they bundled.

9. mdonahuerib

Maybe I should ask my question more directly ... anyone have any luck with Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, CinemaNow or any other DRM Flash video? What's disappointing is that even my BlackBerry PlayBook can stream from these sites ...

10. noxxle

I can stream from amazon. Works better in IE10 than Chrome. 480p streamed steady at 30fps. Didn't try anything higher.

11. mdonahuerib

Can you try 720p? Are you using Metro IE10 or Desktop?

12. noxxle

No difference in Metro vs. Desktop mode.

When trying to stream 720p, I get a message from Amazon that my device is not supported. Youtube streams 720p fine (near 30fps).

13. mdonahuerib

I think only TV shows work in HD on a PC (on Amazon).

14. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

Git tiday my 25G and have a few problems with my wifi. It works, but the range is really bad. My old Sony Ericsson Xperia can handle the wifi from downstairs great but my thinkpad tablet 2 doesnt even find a wifi.
    Cant believe that the wifi is that bad. I try now system restore but I bet it doesnt help. Will return mine :/

15. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

There's a big thread on this over in the Lenovo Community forum. I have to say that I'm not seeing the problem, but that might be down to either the router I'm using (a Fritz!box 7340), or the fact that I'm living in a farmhouse, and the nearest other WiFi networks are 500 metres distant...

16. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

I mean i can connect to wifi but the problem is that the range with my TPT2 is rly bad. My cell phone (like i wrote above) have a much better wifi range, my notebook as well. That cant be normal.

17. mdonahuerib

The digitizer on my TPT2 suddenly died last night. Rebooted, refreshed, reset ... nothing worked. Status message in Device Manager: STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE. Opened a support request to IBM

This morning I rebooted the machine again ... and suddenly the digitizer worked again. Anyone else with digitizer instability?

18. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've had the digitizer stop working a couple of times, a reboot always fixed it though.

19. noxxle

Has anyone noticed the back plate coming off when pressure is applied on certain areas? Specifically, near the bottom about 2-3 inches from the power plugin port.

20. chaose

chaose Pen Pal - Newbie

yep, you can snap it together again.
    Poor quality check on Lenovo's part.

I also have some backlight bleeding through the windows button. There appears to be a small gap between the windows button and the bezel from which a spot of light is showing through. Also, the camera does not seem to be aligned properly with the camera opening on the top. I'm not sure if these things are worth sending my unit in for a refund though.