Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by noxxle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. philo

philo Pen Pal - Newbie

got mine today, answered most of my own question: windows 8 pro can do bitlocker just fine, tpm activation and drive encryption was as smooth as silk.

i won't be installing enterprise as i don't expect to need anything beyond bitlocker...

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting, I wonder if Internet Explorer would cause that. The vast majority of the time when I leave my tablet it is only running IE10 and nothing else except for background stuff like dropbox.

3. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

Booo! Had my first screen freeze after resuming from sleep. Seems more like an inherent Windows 8 problem than a tablet problem. I think the OS and drivers for it and for the Clover Trail processor are not optimized yet.

EDIT: Uh oh, looks like it happened again...I might return this and wait for the Surface Pro...ugh!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. ettescott

ettescott Pen Pal - Newbie

ai
    The TPT2 has been a wonderful inking device for me. It also has no problem running office applications, browsing the web, and running mobile applications. If that's what you do with your x220t, then yes the TPT2 could easily replace it. However, Clover Trail tablets like the TPT2 are not laptop replacements. Performance is somewhat dismal compared to a core processor. Hard drive space and performance is quite limited. The screen size is tiny (compared to the x220t). I have a desktop that does all my heavy lifting and the TPT2 is a great companion since I don't need power on the go.

BTW someone asked about the recovery partition earlier in the thread. There is a recovery partition and it is about 8GB in size. You can create USB Recovery media from that partition by going to the RECOVERY section of control panel. Upon completion, you are given the option to remove the recovery partition freeing up an additional 8GB.

5. seebeyond

seebeyond Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone's tpt2 showing yellowish dot on the bottom left corner? I am wondering if it's normal (maybe a subtle indication on where to 'slide') or it's a screen defect. I can see this yellowish color (half circle only on white background or very light background (like skype). I will try to post image later.

6. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone with the Acer W510 and the TPT2 compare the screen and build quality? I'm deciding between these 2 but I saw the Acer W510 in the store and I'm not too convinced about the build quality. Also the screen seemed a bit dim and slightly washed out, also un-evenly lit from edge to edge.

I do wish the TPT2 had a docking keyboard like the Acer though...

7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

8. DNAlx

DNAlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for this! I've been waiting for so long for a decent video review. Mine's suppose to ship on 1/28. Was hoping I'd see some good reviews by then to be sure I didn't want to cancel my order.

9. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

for those already have got tpt2:

how many of you have wireless connection problems?

thanks

10. lx93

lx93 Pen Pal - Newbie

the machine doesnt seem to be beefy enough to drive an external monitor at 1920x1080. things tend to lag quite a bit. though its very snappy without attaching an external monitor..

11. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

None, but I'm connecting to a router with great range (Asus N66U) and I don't use encryption (home network). Doesn't drop connection, maintains signal quality comparable to my ipad mini. This is about 30 feet from the router, through 3 walls.

12. philo

philo Pen Pal - Newbie

i've been seeing some oddball connectivity issues. bios is updated, all drivers are current as of 2013-01-16. sometimes i see normal speeds 2-3mbps from my nas, but mostly it's in the 150kbps range. i've tried turning off other wifi devices, no luck. interestingly, a speed test shows 3mbps down, so it's capable of more from the browser. i am wondering if there's something about the smb connections. from another win 8 pc i can get 3mbps to the tpt2, and on that desktop i get 25mbps from the nas.

sadly no real thoughts on why this is happening...

13. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not impressed with battery life either.

I have a question, is it possible to disable visibilty of pen's cursor ?

14. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I have got to say i'm fairly impressed by the battery life thus far. I am not getting 10 hours but with regular use I'm probably getting 8 hours. I've been using the tablet all day today and I still have 40% left. I went to work, surfed the net for some time, went to a lecture and took notes for an hour, then went to the airport and went web surfing for about an hour before boarding, and am now on my flight from Chicago to LA. I have in flight wifi which I have been using for the past 2 hours, plus I watched a movie during that time. Not bad so far!

I may keep this as a daily road warrior and get the Surface Pro/Taichi/Helix/Transformer Book as my low battery power device.

By the way, I tried playing Bourne Legacy in 1080p on the tablet...it kept freezing. Seems like it is too much for the graphics processor.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  15. manuelcalavera

I read 20 pages in Reader and surfed the web for 15 minutes.Then it went to sleep for 2.5 hours and the battery dropped from 95 to 80. I dont think thats good enough.

16. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

That's horrible. Same scenario drops about 3-4% on my ATIV...

17. bam3000

bam3000 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having now another problem with my TPT2 (added to USB and Sleep mode problems).
    Rotation button now stuck inside and didn't to come out. If need to stop rotation,
    I have to do it from Windows 8. Is this a sign for BAD qualitty?

18. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an Asus Vivotab tf810c but I just noticed, and that is important, that the process "system - ntoskrnl.exe" sometimes keeps the CPU AT 25% even when the tablet is sleeping, because I have seen the battery getting draining fast after some hours of sleep, so keep checking if that process is consuming CPU, because when all is ok, my tablet barely drops a few %s during the whole day.

So I recommend everyone to check regularly the Task Manager for the System process, and close it if it's consuming CPU (it should be at 0% all the times). It happens even after I upgraded to Intel Chipset HP drivers.

19. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Something isn't right. Is everything updated? Some of the windows updates, such as net framework, will run a one-time optimization service in the background, consuming a lot of cpu, upon reboot. Also, a windows search service might be indexing in the background.

Give it a few charges. Be sure to run it down to zero at least once.

20. manuelcalavera

Yeah definitely not right. It is like a 1971 Dodge Charger in consumption!

Everything is updated. both Lenovo Updater and Windows itself.
    Is there any update/driver in Lenovo's website which is not come up in Lenovo Updater ?