Thinkpad Tablet 2 Factory Reset Reinstall Windows

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Fastestflash, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmbeca

jmbeca Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Yes, running Win 8.1 Pro 32bit and downloaded all the 8.1 drivers from Lenovo and installed all (except a couple that wouldn't install because they said the device wasn't available eg Bluetooth). I'm wondering if order of install may matter here. Does anyone else have any thoughts, particularly whether this sounds like a driver, OS, or hardware issue?

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Odd that you're getting a message saying that Bluetooth isn't available - the hardware should be present on all models of the TPT2.

Order of install does matter. I think that you should be installing the Intel IO Driver and the Intel Platform drivers packages first, while making sure that your BIOS is at least at 1.32.

The rest are probably not order sensitive.

jmbeca likes this.
  3. rab

rab Pen Pal - Newbie

is is there anyway to get the original lenovo OEM back or how to access it.
    or if someone can help sending me or direct me to how to get a recovery copy i will really appreciate

4. jmbeca

jmbeca Pen Pal - Newbie

I checked my BIOS version and it looks like it is 1.31
    I got the BIOS update utility from the Lenovo site and ran it. It is failing with the following message: "This process requires a charged battery to avoid an accidental power-off during an update. Turn off the system and install a charged battery in the system."
    I have had the tablet plugged in all night and it is currently plugged in now. But the battery status indicator on the notification area and when you pull up the charms bar is missing. So something is up with the tablet not recognizing the battery, although it is physically connected and being used. The battery charges too, since the device is still running (and has been for more than a day so it is not just running on reserve power).
    In device manager I only have Microsoft AC adapter under Batteries.
    I looked up the power management driver options and I can do power management driver, but not DPTF without the BIOS update.

Update: I got the Battery status back (detected in Device Manager as well) with the IO Driver. I also got touch screen sensitivity back. Re-ran BIOS utility to get BIOS update, which worked. I'm going to go through the rest of the updates now and will post any remaining issues, but hopefully networks, brightness and sound are restored too.

FINAL UPDATE:
    Everything is back to running normally. Just want to say in case anyone else has this problem, gcoupe's advice was spot on. I was having trouble because the IO Driver from the initial installs (I didn't have Lenovo-specific recovery media) were actually newer versions than the Lenovo one, so had to manually permit it roll back to the older version. When I first ran through the drivers I must have assumed newer was better, but that's not the case here -- needed the appropriate one for the system. Then the BIOS and Intel Platform drivers addressed everything else.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  5. FelixTCat

FelixTCat Pen Pal - Newbie

Can I PLEASE get the recovery USB image ? I picked up a used PW tablet2 and I just want to wipe it and start new. Thanks !

6. clabr

clabr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everybody,
    I came here trying to find the TPT2 Recovery Partition Image or Recovery USB
    (I am looking for the one with Win 8.1 Pro).

I bought a refurbished TPT2 recently which only had a fresh Win 8 installation, without any Lenovo Software Utilities (metro apps, etc).
    Though the tablet has Win 8.1 Pro sticker on it, and also checked the OEM-DE, and the pro key is there.

I want to be able to adjust Power Manager options (power plans, etc) and also to set charging limits for the battery, so I really need the original Windows 8.1 Lenovo Image.
    If anybody could help me out, would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.

7. rab

rab Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    i did ask for the same thing few days ago but unfortunately i got no answer or help, anyway i just want to shear my experience
    that's what i did i remove the recovery partition is s**t anyway and that will give you extra 10GB in top of that
    i install a windows 8.1 pro, i had all the drivers ready and everything work's fine
    after that i installed the utility software available in Lenovo website as follow

lenovo Quickcast
    lenovo settings
    lenovo system update (this one is very good it will pull all the rest of software's and update the existing drivers)
    lenovo messenger
    lenovo password manager

by the way as far as i know all the lenovo TT2 comes with win8 pro only and after the updates you can download 8.1 for free from win store and ur existing win8 pro licence will be changed to ur new 8.1 pro licence automatically

8. clabr

clabr Pen Pal - Newbie

There is no problem if it's only Win 8 Pro. I'll do an upgrade like you said.
    The problem is I have downloaded all the Lenovo Drivers,
    but there is only Balanced power plan available and I am not able to customize or chose any other
    and I guess this is because of the fresh Win 8.1 installation.
    Previously on it there was a Win 8 Core (not 8.1) installation (no recovery partition) with no Lenovo software and it was the same problem. That is why I have installed Win 8.1 Pro.
    I would like to be able to have "High Performance" or "Power saver" plans available to chose from
    I can't understand why there is only Balanced available
    I could do well without the recovery partition, like I do now. But I can't set any power options with a fresh install and all the drivers installer (DPTD and Dynamic power aswell)

Do you have the other power plans available?
    Did you install Lenovo Setting Dependency and Lenovo Dependency Package?

9. rench

rench Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the image if you want then inbox me your email address

10. rench

rench Pen Pal - Newbie

Send me your email i will send you the iso

Whare and rab like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.