Thinkpad Tablet 2 Factory Reset Reinstall Windows

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Fastestflash, Jun 3, 2014.

1. foxxiu7

foxxiu7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there.
    While I was trying to install Windows 10... accidentally my tablet get bricked :(
    Now I can only see the Boot Menu.
    Tried hundreds of USB, CD Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 (as well as Ubuntu) with no success at all. Nothing seems to boot anymore.

Can anyone post,share or PM me with solution, image... anything which let me bring it back to life.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. verylarry

verylarry Pen Pal - Newbie

I am also looking for this USB ISO for the TPT2
    mobilmedics@gmail.com

3. verylarry

verylarry Pen Pal - Newbie

Please Help. I have tried the Megoopad T02 restore and it loads the 8.1 x86 OS with no drivers. SDI will install what looks to be most then when it reboots, it goes to black and never returns.

4. jamesblack

jamesblack Pen Pal - Newbie

I know that this thread is a bit old, but the tablet is still pretty popular. This thread is one of the first websearch results for OS installation problems on the Tablet 2.

I encountered many problems & finally conquered them, so I would like to add what I learned:

1. My tablet was purchased from a friend with a seriously cracked LCD. I can only see the middle half of the screen -yay! I was hoping that the HDMI out would give me an option with an external monitor, but that turned out to be false; the HDMI port needs a driver to function (there is no systemic constant VESA out). So, HDMI out requires an OS to function.

2. The tablet had seriously corrupted Windows/boot files. The boot process could not get to the point where I could even get to the Windows Recovery procedure.

3. Use a POWERED USB hub. Get a mouse, keyboard, and USB drive (thumb/flash drive). I initially was using a Mac keyboard. It has two USB ports built in, which I thought would be great for the mouse & USB drive. Unfortunately, that threw errors in the Windows Installation (it requested media for installing drivers). I suspect it might have been a power issue (limits of the USB port), but I do not know for sure. With a powered USB hub, the power limitations of the USB port are not a problem.

4. Do not try to install a x64 version of Windows. The Toshiba support site said that my Tablet 2 (after entering the serial number) was x64, but it was using the web browser to see what system I was browsing the site on (different computer). Oops. The user manual: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tablet2_ug_en.pdf

5. I used Rufus ( https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ) to create the bootable USB drive with my Windows 8.1 x86 ISO that I downloaded from Microsoft (using their cute little mediacreationtool.exe program). It took some tweaking of settings to make the USB drive recognizable as a UEFI-bootable device in Rufus:
    a. Be sure that you set the type (partition scheme and target system type) to UEFI GPT mode.
    b. Be sure that when you load the ISO that it does not change the type back to MBR. It did that to me (unnoticed during the first two attempts -AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGH!).

6. In the BIOS, you will need to disable Secure Boot.

7. In the BIOS, you can change the Boot Options (I do not know what the submenu is called, as I can not see most of the screen). It is the section with boot order. Enable the boot list to come up by pressing F12. This means that when the computer is booting, you can tap F12 (and I had to click F12 REALLY FAST) to bring up a boot selection menu (choose USB or HDD or ...). Save and exit the BIOS by F10 -> Yes.
    ...So now when the computer is booting, you can tap F12 to select your USB OS installation drive. Yay!

8. Post OS installation thought: I still have the recovery partition. Should I restore it to factory image?

9. If I had the dock, I would have tried PXE booting using Serva PXE or Aeomi PXE Boot. Anyone have a dock lying around that you do not use?

5. oplya

oplya Pen Pal - Newbie