Thinkpad Tablet 2 - connected standby on broadband issues

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Schlave, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Schlave

Schlave Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys - bought a TT2 with 3g recently, and am absolutely hooked. compared to the ipad, I really can get a lot more done.

however, I have had teething issues with the broadband internet connection that make this machine unreliable as an "always on, always connected" device for email, background downloading etc.

1. on default settings (factory settings ie selective suspend enabled, allow windows to turn device off to save power) my broadband connectivity drops to "limited" almost inevitably after an hour or so. this occurs whether I am actively surfing or have turned off the screen. putting the tablet in airplane mode and back restores the connection, but this is happening 7-8x a day, it's frustrating

2. i've tried various things - turning off selective suspend, turning off real time windows defender protection, manually installing the intel SST audio driver (which solved some sleep problems for certain people, I understand) - no effect

3. i've tried turning off both selective suspend and "allow windows to turn device off to save power" - then the tablet refused to go to sleep when i pressed the power button, wtf? this always happens!

4. there was one time when I managed to put the computer to sleep after turning off both selective suspend and "allow windows to turn device off to save power." this must have been a bug of some sort - when i plugged the device into the mains with the default charger, the screen went black and I had to do a hard reset. then it would no longer go back to sleep when I pressed the power button.

please help me. all i am looking for is an always-connected windows device. how can i rely on it when i am fretting everyday if it is receiving my mail or syncing my mission-critical documents to the cloud. it's a device i'd love to love, having had a history with windows tabs, but has so many teething problems!

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Schlave

Schlave Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for pointing it out, can't believe I didn't catch that topic on the Lenovo boards. I'll follow up there.

4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I get the same problem with 3g, but oddly enough it only happens at my gym. At times I can uninstall then reinstall the 3g card and it works, but sometimes even that doesn't fix it. Very odd and annoying.