Thinkpad Tablet 2 - 3 months in

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ecoeco, Mar 25, 2013.

1. panzer06

panzer06 Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately, Microsoft started with the very expensive Surface Pro line for the first attempt at a full Windows 8 tablet and it was too thick, heavy, and had poor battery life compared to other options. With the advent of Atom-based Windows 8 tablets it has become a lot more reasonable to select a Windows 8 tablet and receive the full Windows functionality.

Also, Lenovo and other Atom licensees are not properly advertising this to existing Windows users. There are legions of Windows users that don't have a tablet and are sitting on XP. For light browsing and the occasional resume or spreadsheet a Windows tablet occasionally connected to an external monitor and keyboard could replace that old XP machine and sill offer the lightweight untethered functionality of a tablet.

There may not be the vibrant app market place yet but if Microsoft had spent that $900 million paying iOS and Android devs to create Windows 8 versions of their apps and just offered them up as low cost computers that can double as a full PC they would have been a lot more successful. Not everyone can afford an expensive secondary device. Even households that have a single computer but want to add a tablet could consider one of these Atom based tablets if they are already Windows users.

There is absolutely no reason to buy an Android tablet now that Windows 8 is available. People who like the simplicity and app rich iOS (Apple) environment and have the money to buy into that market are fine to do so but for the vast untapped Windows consumer market that hasn't bought or can't afford an iPad, an inexpensive Windows 8 (not RT) tablet fits the bill nicely.

Cheers,

2. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

For the most part I agree with the points made, except that there's no reason to buy an android tablet. As you point out the MS app store isn't nearly where it needs to be. This alone is a major reason to have an android tablet, around 750,000 more available apps. Plus there are some decent apps in the MS store that are fairly expensive while android has the same app for free.

sent from Nook HD+

3. panzer06

panzer06 Pen Pal - Newbie

After years of living with iPad (and a brief fling with the LTE Moto Xoom) compromises I decided to try a Windows tablet and while there are a few apps I miss from the iPad (most notably iMessage) I've found using a real full blown computer that works on most any site is preferable to the proprietary ecosystem. I use an Android (HTC One) phone and for a phone I prefer apps since they fit the limited screen and the web experience isn't as nice. I also use a Mac as my primary PC but since Apple refuses to give me a full OS X tablet I believe this windows device will do nicely.

If I'm going to run a device that requires apps to run, I prefer the iPad but given the choice I use my K3011 much more frequently.

Full Windows device is a big reason so few Windows apps. Even apps available on windows phone aren't necessarily available on windows tablets. No real incentive to develop an app if you can just hit the website.

As soon as there is a Windows tablet with Verizon LTE this iPad is getting sold. Apple's last of choices has annoyed me for the last time. My Apple fanatic friends like to tell me if I don't like tiny phones and locked down tablets that can't be upgraded I should go elsewhere and I have. No that they have sealed the laptops and iMac I will probably head back to Windows when this Mac dies. I've been with Apple for 10 years but the walled garden is pretty much a fancy rock garden now and I'm about to close the gate behind me.

Cheers,

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is the stupidity and complete lack of foresight (and hindsight with their previous tablets) that got Ballmer fired. They should have put their FULL weight behind the Atom tablets. Can you imagine how incredibly competitive a MS branded Atom surface tablet would have been? They could have still did their i5 surface Pro and of course Surface RT should never even have been born.

Even now they should put their weight behind Baytrail. The surface Pro 2 will most probably be the same weight and thickness, with better battery life but still less battery life than Baytrail. Windows RT will continue to be the same consumer confusing, app starving product which should be replaced by an Atom tablet.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    panzer06 likes this.
  5. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Intel has struggled and if the early reports on Bay Trail are true, they still struggle with drivers and power management on the Atom Platform. The Surface Line are considered Lighthouse Devices, meant to drive the OEMs out of the comfort zones and offer a pure MS vision of what the Platform can be. I know I'm one of lone voices but I love my RT and still use it for about 95% of my personal computing needs.

6. spinedoc77

I hear ya, but I'm curious what does RT offer you that an Atom tablet wouldn't? The latest batches have had free Office 2013 bundled in, and you still have Metro, and they cost about the same even with RT's recent discount.

I just think MS did irreparable harm to consumers perceptions with RT. I'm honestly completely baffled why they are going to release a Surface RT 2. Why try to out ipad the ipad?

Interesting stuff, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in MS corporate meetings. I wonder where their massive disconnect between the company and the consumers really begins.

7. jnjroach

RT has offered me a much more stable platform than the Intel Atom based tablets, I get 7-9 hours of continuous use or 11-18 of off and on use, Connected Standby works great on the ARM platform. I use my RT as my mobile office including making Voice Calls. The other day I had a customer meeting with 5 in the conference room and a couple of attendees who were remote, I used my RT to project the meeting notes onto a 60" LCD on the wall and used OneNote for collaborative notes, showed a slide deck and hosted the conference bridge using the Lync Mobile Client plugged into a Lync Enabled Polycom via the USB connector. None of the Clover Trail Atoms I've used could do this, as VOIP usually hogs up 100% of the CPU.

Also, the lack of backwards compatibility is actually a plus because I don't load a lot of crappy legacy software that I don't really need on an on going basis, nor to attempt to make one machine do everything again that tends to bog the machine down. Also RT prevents Bloat/Crapware from being installed by the OEMs :)

MS is committed to ARM, as Intel still struggles on the mobile front (they are making strides). Eventually Phone will merge with RT and people will stop their hatred of the RT platform.

8. spinedoc77

That's a very specialized use, it sounds pretty cool though. I haven't run into anything my TPT2 couldn't do yet, and I work it pretty hard. From what I gathered with reviews the RT units were very laggy and slow with lots of programs the the Atom units would run smoothly.

I see where you are coming from though with such a specialized use, if only a RT tablet can do what you need then it's what you need. Although I still think MS caused much more harm than good with the entire RT concept and will continue to hurt itself if they continue to support it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. jnjroach

The RT plays 1080p Video without issue, I play some of the more intense games in fact my son plays HALO: Spartan Assault and Asphalt 7 without issue on his RT. We have a couple of Clover Trail Atoms here and they tend lock up while trying to multitask and are unable to maintain VOIP Calls....

It seems the Firmware Upgrades for the Atoms cause issues with video, and other devices (like Web Cams disappearing or becoming unresponsive).

My RT has been rock solid and will upgrade it to the next version. MS can't abandon the ARM platform with the threat from Apple and Google. The A53 Cortex (and later) will support 64bit instruction sets and these launch next year. Intel's Tablet Version of the ATOM is still going to be 32bit for the next couple of releases.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013