Thinkpad tablet 10 WWAN slot for SSD

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by norman82, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norman82

norman82 Pen Pal - Newbie

My thinkpad teblet 10 is the model without WWAN, so I'm interested that the WWAN slot support the M.2. ngff SSD or not? If it's support, maybe we can have another option to make it more powerful and faster. That's maybe a crazy idea.

I have tried to use the PLEXTOR M.2 ngff 128G SSD, can installed in the WWAN slot, but the bios and OS can not recognized this SSD, maybe some settings is wrong with the bios, or maybe this WWAN slot completely do not support M.2. ngff SSD, just for WWAN device, so, the problem is because slot not support? or bios problem? or Z3795 not support M.2. ngff SSD? or PLEXTOR not compatible with TPT 10?

2. Wesley

Wesley Pen Pal - Newbie

I am afraid that M.2 NGFF SSD is not on the BIOS white list.

Update: see the post below by alextrela182. It is rather because Bay Trail T SOC doesn't support SSD.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  3. norman82

Hi, Wesley

If it's the problem of BIOS whitelist, may be able to solve. I'm afraid that the TPT10 completely do not support M.2. NGFF SSD, or the connector only support WWAN device, not support PCI-E, and WWAN device worked through the USB channel, that's mean TPT10 does not support in hardware.

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nothing wrong with the bios.
    The Bay Trail T SOC don't support SSD but only eMMC storage.
    Only Bay Trail M or D SOC support SSD.

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina using Tapatalk

5. norman82

Thank you for your reply! I will give up my mind to add the SSD in TPT10. I also wonder that in TPT10 is USB2.0, TPT8 is USB3.0. So, the speed in TPT10 will be more slow to use the USB3.0 device.

6. Wesley

Wesley Pen Pal - Newbie

In one of the videos, they say that they leave USB3.0 to the dock. They would have to rework some common design of the board once they try to make the tablet USB port also USB3.0. So, it is engineering tradeoff, not an issue of TPT10 speed.

7. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe the problem has an othe reason. M.2 SSD cards may expect a SATA port. The WWAN slot maybe has only PCI-E?

8. electronbee

electronbee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hrmm... maybe... but, it's a crap shoot as a PCI-E slot in a laptop may or may not be a full spec PCI-E slot. There are provisions for WWAN usage, etc. So, connecting something that should be compatible won't be. They basically use the physical connector and omit the signals that they do not need. Another issue is power, a WWAN expansion card may require significantly less current than a storage device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.