Thinkpad P51 with touchscreen and ThinkPad Pen Pro

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by the3dstig, Oct 2, 2017.

1. the3dstig

the3dstig Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have any experience with Lenovo's thinkpad pen pro?
    I'm assuming it would be a similar experience to other current Lenovo pen experiences?
    Need the extra power (over other lenovo products) for 3D animation/VFX work. I can pack up 64gigs of ram and 3 hard drives!

Looking for pen use in Photoshop and Zbrush.

Coming from using intous tablets, a Cintiq 22" (non touch), and a Fujistu T902.

Any major headaches or caveats?

2. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the P51 with the Lenovo pen pro. I'll start with the bad news first: the touch screen has a very slight haze making the screen a bit dimmer than I am used to compared to other laptops. The fans can whir up intermittently which can be a bit annoying if you are sensitive to that. Also, there is occasional coil whine which, in a $3000 laptop, is very disappointing. The speakers are awful. Really awful.

I have the E3-1535 Xeon version. Lenovo apparently fixed the overheating problem that early users reported. My temperatures sit below 80 degrees C at full load. There is no throttling when plugged in.

I think that the pen works better and more reliably than on the Surface Pro 3. It also seems more accurate than the Dell touch screen laptop I had previously. Compared to the Cintiq 27QHD, well, it's no Wacom, but it's not bad either.

I've owned laptops from Apple (PowerBooks and MacBook Pros), Dell Precision mobile workstations and HP ZBooks. The P51 is the best I've had: powerful, fast, rock-solid stable, built like a brick.

JoeS likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This just in: fluffyfurryball buys supersolidbrick!

I personally wish they'd given it a Yoga style hinge, but I guess that wouldn't have been retro enough. Otherwise, classic ThinkPad looks in a powerful modern machine, sounds like a winner to me! Thanks for the quick impressions.

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  4. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Lol. Yeah, well, heavy with no Yoga hinge, so not for everyone.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

How do you use it for ink work? Lay it flat with the keyboard sticking out?