Thinkpad P50 with ThinkPad Pen Pro (Wacom AES)!?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by testplayer, Feb 28, 2016.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You installed the Surface Book drivers? That shouldn't work. The P70 is Wacom AES, not Microsoft/NTrig. Did you try installing Wacom's Feel driver? That's how AES devices get their Wintab compatibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

To be clear it was the Surface Book Wintab 64 drivers which install as Microsoft Wintab 64. Before those specific drivers, the pen is recognized but the pressure doesn't work in software like Zbrush, PaintStorm or Krita. The Feel driver doesn't install and it says that a compatible tablet device was not found on the system.

It's a strange situation, and hopefully Lenovo will sort it out.

3. surfaceproartist

I know that the Microsoft installer places a file called Wintab32.dll in the System32 and SysWow64 folders. I just checked and found that the Wacom Feel driver does the same. However, the file sizes are very different.

4. rebelismo

Yes the Microsoft installer definitely has a Wintab32.dll file in there. Is the Wacom version larger or smaller?

5. surfaceproartist

The Wacom versions are significantly larger: 1882 and 1531K vs. 53 and 41K for the 32 and 64-bit files, respectively.

Some of the Wacom driver must include device specific info because I just tried using the Wintab32.dlls from my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 on my Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700 to no avail. I couldn't get pressure to register in Paint Tool SAI 1.2.5. Like the P70, the Miix is an AES device but isn't compatible with the current Feel driver.

To confirm my earlier post about incompatibility between the N-Trig and Wacom dlls, I also tried with the Surface Pro 3's versions and also wasn't able to get Paint Tool SAI to see pen pressure.

The software works fine with Wintab installed on the SP3 and TPY14 with their respective versions.

Any software that's working for you on the P70 must be RealTimeStylus or Windows INK API aware. The Surface Pro Wintab drivers you installed aren't doing anything. I'd advise removing them so they don't inadvertently cause any conflicts in the future.

6. rebelismo

If that was the case then wouldn't software like Zbrush, Substance Painter, and Paintstorm work with pressure sensitivity without those particular drivers? So far that's the only driver package that actually helps. I guess I'll have to see if Lenovo comes up with anything. In the meantime, it's good to have pressure sensitivity in those software packages :).

7. surfaceproartist

I know for certain that ZBrush requires a Wintab driver for pressure sensitivity. I don't recall the other two off the top of my head.

8. surfaceproartist

I reached out to my contact at Wacom and was told that a compatible driver for all these devices should be out around the time of the Windows 10 Redstone (Anniversary Update) release from both Wacom and the respective OEMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  9. rebelismo

That's fantastic news surfaceproartist! Hopefully that will include the P70 which isn't technically listed under supported hardware on the Bamboo Smart page. I don't know too much about the AES technology, but is it supposed to be universal across multiple different manufacturers? I wonder if it has anything to do with this
    http://liliputing.com/2016/05/microsoft-pen-program-standardize-pen-design-windows-10-devices.html

On a side note, there's also a mention of the G13 pen tech in that article. I wonder if that'll be usable with the current tablets/pcs or if it'll require new hardware as well.

10. surfaceproartist

Someone else can explain it to you better, but Active ES is Wacom's single layer digitizer technology that was developed as an answer to N-Trig used by Microsoft in the Surface Pro 3. Microsoft bought the company's pen tech last year. Wacom licenses its tech to other PC makers like Dell and Lenovo.

Current pens using AES are Gen 12. Wacom's new dual protocol pen, which will work with both its devices and Microsoft's, will be classified as Gen 13. It's unclear how backwards compatible this pen will be.