Thinkpad P50 with ThinkPad Pen Pro (Wacom AES)!?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by testplayer, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

If Win10 was treated mainly just as an OS that would be fine and I'm not against Win8.1 over Win7 on a production device but feel that Win8.1's UI is awkward on a pure laptop form-factor. As for serious work though Microsoft's policy changes with Win10 make it too risky, full stop. That you "never log into Microsoft account" doesn't change their update policy and you have to directly disable the system service for updates to do that. The update policy is what has turned that OS into a potential game of Russian roulette with ones work and productivity. I'm not against Win10 on a mainly consumption device (again I do have it on a machine of mine and help another install it) but again on a device primarily used for production and doubly so if that is one's livelihood Win10 is a risky and foolish choice.

I'm neither a Luddite nor inexperienced with new tech and software but fun is fun and work is work and MS changes in how Windows is now treated make it a perpetual game of beta testing, I've use software from another company that played that and it is a pain. You don't risk those sort of potential problems with the OS on a machine that is for real work.

Its funny how you (Shogmaster) were arguing against wasting money by her buying too much ram but are for an OS that can potentially downright hinder productivity if it decides that a bad driver is the one you need or another forced MS feature change/addition/update instead causes a sleep of death or boot loop (since it has removable harddrives atleast there shouldn't be concerns of the system being completely bricked).

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Pursuant to what you are saying, I find it makes me anxious that a whole slate of cool new stylus features are being readied for release.., but they are going to come bundled with the next Windows 10 update.

If I turn back on that dreaded update feature, what else are the Microsoft sorcerers going to do to my system?

Is the risk of allowing a bunch of black magic wombats to infect my system worth the promise of new stylus candy?

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't know Ann. Worrying about that one potential update can ruin a day or so to force you to live several years behind the OS curve seems a bit extreme to me. Paranoid even. And I'm someone who enjoys that kind of paranoia.

I fvcking got it! You know what you should do? P70 has like 3 or 4 storage slots. You should dual boot. Have a drive that boot into Win7, and another one that boots into Win 10. If Win 10 install goes down due to forced update that goes wrong, you'll have the Win 7 as back up. Perfect solution.

I use to dual boot two instances of Win 10 for my BB460, so that I could use one install for playing games (I'm paranoid about game installs going wrong and taking my work machine down for the count, so I never game on my work machine). It was pretty damn easy to do. I wish all my other rigs have multiple storage slots like BB460 and VAIO Z Canvas.

4. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

To thatcomicsguy very uncool straw man fallacy and likely but up for interpretation ad hominem attack. Anyway what I've read so far on the "new" features most have read like things that could have been done for years via third party software (or worse actually have been in previous versions of Windows but just in slightly different forms and not well known). They also don't seem too relevant to serious work where the OS primarily should just be a means to loading real creation software.

To Shogmaster dual boot is a good suggestion/solution (Also AnnA not Ann and I've use 2000, NT, XP before Win7 I'm not against upgrades if they actually upgrade something). I personally also do have one machine actually set to triboot but I'm not sure how comfortable an average person/computer user is with creating a multiboot set up. As far as the "OS curve" if Microsoft was actually optimizing the OS and using less storage space and resources then that phrase would mean something but at best the updates have been lateral moves (for starters there is the cluster fvck that has been winsxs since Vista). The OS shouldn't be about gimmicks that 3rd parties have allowed for and done better at for years.

Personally I think if one wants to play with Win10 they should just get a junker or "cheap" laptop to play with and for real work use a good machine with an OS that still treats the user as an end consumer instead of as a product to be sold to others. If one is truly serious they should just have a separate machine for work optimized with as much that they can disable (I've achieved HDD boot times on Win7 as good as acquaintances with their new SSDs that felt so impressed how fast their machine had improved) and one for web and media consumption sticking with MS sh1tty defaults (like that 1.5 or whatever default paging file when with at most 8GB [maybe even just 4GB] of ram a paging file is for the majority of users absolutely unnecessary, just for starters) I'm too tired and old to keep dealing with idiots that can't read let alone think and question the obvious. I've lost respect for a number of you the last few days, not that you care. Lenovo kept a Win7 option on the P70 for a reason, if XoeisCool ordered it that way she made the right choice. Hopefully she won't be lead astray by hype driven lemmings. I'm signing out and eff most of you.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh? Are you directing that at me or Microsoft? I don't really understand it in either case. I'm just talking about Windows 10 and thought you made some good points.

Windows 10 was baffling and frustrating when I first encountered it with my brand new Dell Inspiron 15 a few weeks back. -But the touch features were surprisingly good and very welcome after years of WinXP on my last portable, so I figured I'd spend a week trying to hack it into shape before giving up and trying to fight the future with a Win7 installation.

I'm happy to report that I've got it to a point where it's ticking along quite nicely, but it definitely felt like I was in a constant argument with a bunch of stubborn Microsoft engineers (and probably some humorless dudes from the Matrix stalking around in the background.)

I'm still pretty chuffed about one of my favorite bits of code-jiggery, discovered and re-packaged here.

I saw a hack a while ago where the hardware Windows button on the screen was re-coded to toggle touch on and off. I think that could be useful for Photoshop days. (PS still bugs out with the touch feature on my system.) I might give that a try when I've got a free afternoon.

I think one of my favorite features is that closing and opening the screen works seemlesly with Sleep Mode. I've never had that before! It's like Star Trek.

6. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

The saga continues.

I have received the bamboo 2 in 1 smart pen and can confirm that the P70 does recognize it. The Thinkpad Pen Pro and the Smart are both very similar, with the Wacom pen winning out because of interchangeable nibs. At first the pen pressure issues were the same, until I installed the Surface Book wintab 64 drivers, and then 95% of the software started to work correctly with some hiccups. I'll have to do more testing.

As far as paid Lenovo support, they really haven't been able to tell me anything so far about the tech or the drivers. I believe they "escalated" the case, but they don't call back during the agreed upon times so that's not professional. Has anyone had experiences like this with paid support?

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You installed the Surface Book drivers? That shouldn't work. The P70 is Wacom AES, not Microsoft/NTrig. Did you try installing Wacom's Feel driver? That's how AES devices get their Wintab compatibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. rebelismo

To be clear it was the Surface Book Wintab 64 drivers which install as Microsoft Wintab 64. Before those specific drivers, the pen is recognized but the pressure doesn't work in software like Zbrush, PaintStorm or Krita. The Feel driver doesn't install and it says that a compatible tablet device was not found on the system.

It's a strange situation, and hopefully Lenovo will sort it out.

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know that the Microsoft installer places a file called Wintab32.dll in the System32 and SysWow64 folders. I just checked and found that the Wacom Feel driver does the same. However, the file sizes are very different.

10. rebelismo

Yes the Microsoft installer definitely has a Wintab32.dll file in there. Is the Wacom version larger or smaller?