Thinkpad P50 with ThinkPad Pen Pro (Wacom AES)!?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by testplayer, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm willing to bet it's easy enough to get into. You don't make a laptop with 4(!!) SoDIMM slots and make it difficult to get to.

Also, more RAM isn't always necessarily a good thing. Certain apps have limit to the amount of RAM it can utilize. So if your apps can only use 32GB of RAM max, but you have 64GB in there, is that necessarily the smartest thing to do? Sure you can argue running multiple apps at once is good enough reason, but honestly that's not a great excuse.

In any case, the configuration that was posted seemed like a jacked up just for the sake of jacking the specs. That's my $ .02.

2. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

I double checked and from what I've read it seems you are correct about Photoshop's touch limited to Win8 and later. The "if you ever think you want to use the touch feature of your display, you better forget it altogheter with windows 7" though is pure hyperbole. It isn't like touch and multi-touch aren't recognized at all or that other (more competently written) software won't recognize it. Windows 7 even does have some features and gestures for touch built in. That being said/written it is likely a moot point anyway. If it was a conventional tablet then maybe I think the touch features would be desirable but since it is a nonconvertible laptop form-factor with constant access to the keyboard for hot keys I'm not sure if the touch features in Photoshop will be more than a gimmick, plus gorilla arm.

For clarity I'm not completely against Win10 but there are negatives and risks to it too that should be acknowledged when deciding if to "upgrade".

Edit: didn't see the reply posted as I was typing the above so in reply "I'm willing to bet it's easy enough to get into." I hope so and suspect so but until it is confirmed one shouldn't feel certain since manufactures have done similarly anti-consumer things before. As far as the unused ram in software as I wrote in the earlier message it can be used to make a ramdisk. As in a virtual temp drive that is very fast and wear free (but risky to loss if the machine crashes). If you've never heard of a ramdisk I recommend reading up on it as it can be very useful.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This wouldn't be an upgrade. The P50/70 are machines designed and optimized to run Windows 10. You can be sure that some functionality would be lost downgrading the device to Windows 7.

4. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, they are also made and designed for Windows 7 as well. Windows 10 will be the exclusive OS for next years models, but this years Skylake models are the last ones actually designed for Windows 7 as well (and the Convertible models for 8.1, for that matter).

5. surfaceproartist

I stand corrected! (But I still think Windows 7 sucks for pen and touch users!)

6. AnnAAyms

"optimized to run Windows 10" is such marketing BS if there are proper drivers for all the hardware and Win7 is downright supported and it even can be selected as an option directly when custom ordering from Lenovo, so absolutely no to the "You can be sure that some functionality would be lost" unless you can name something specific that isn't simply a feature of Win10 itself I'm calling BS. It sounds/reads like she specifically choose the Win7 option and I think that was a very good choice. Anyway if one later changes their mind one can "upgrade" in the future. It is easier to install a newer version on top of an old version of Windows than to do a clean install of an older version. Also I know Win7 is fine for pen if it is meant for actual creation and not just putzing around especially when a keyboard is constantly accessible. Plenty of others have also had no problems with Win7 when making real art with a pen.

7. surfaceproartist

Let's agree to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Back then I had a Portege M400 with win 7 attached to a Dell 22" multitouch display: I can assure you using the display was an awful and useless experience until I upgraded to windows 8. ;)

9. AnnAAyms

"Dell 22" multitouch display" I'm assuming that display was touch only and no pen/active digitizer support. If so that is an apples to oranges comparison. I've a Fujitsu t904 multitouch and pen convertible that I've Win7 loaded on it and I find it works fine (let alone a literal dozen active digitizer screen only core and core 2 machines with Win7). When I first got it I did load Win8.1 on it for use for a little while but found Win7 a better experience with how I use it. The issue with Win8.1 on a pure nonconvertible like the P70 or even a convertible like the t904 if often used as a laptop is that the OS UI (User Interface) is too touch centric and pen isn't treated the same as touch and when one has access to a proper pen or pointer device like a touchpad having to switch to finger to do those things Win8 wants done with touch is a pain. That is why most people seem to hate Win8. I actual like Win8.1 as long as it is on the right type of machine. I've also 2 Asus Note 8's (pen and multitouch 8" tablets) one with Win8.1 and one with Win10 (that second I got for $50 off Ebay as a potential spare parts machine but it ended up actually working fine) and with that pure tablet form factor I actually find Win8.1 better. Finally I'm not sure if Win8.1 on the P70 is even properly supported by Lenovo (driver wise and such). That said/written if it was I would be less inclined to argue against Win8.1 if supported than Win10.

My issue and reason against Win10 is a different one. Win8.1 is still a relatively mature OS and the last OS still mostly treated by Microsoft as an OS more so than a service. Win10 though is essentially for Microsoft a means to sell services (for clarity as in how TV sells eyeballs to advertisers not as in MS selling services directly to end users) hence them not only giving it for free but even stealthily forcing it installed on some computers through badly labeled service packs. (If one doesn't/didn't question the end user trade off with getting a "free" upgrade vs their previous business model then you were/are a fool.) Since it is now more of service there are issues. I'm not in the mood to properly go through this but here is an article that goes over some of what I mean not too poorly. I know personally of and have seen and still deal (an acquaintance's machines used when weekly podcasting now has an audio playback hiccup) with Win10 having borked stuff in some contexts with other's machines and also just look though these forums and you will find reports of Win10s behavior causing issues. I can go on in more detail and list more direct examples but I've already done more here than I should've had to.

Also again I'm not saying Win10 is all bad I even advised to and installed it on my father's desktop but for my mother I conversely decided it best she stick with Win7 on her laptop. It is all about context and how a user uses their machine both in the way they operated it and for what end output. The P70 is a machine for serious work and content creation and if someone is going to want to use it that way they want something they know "just works" as in the OS is just a means to get to the software they use to make stuff with and the less time mucking with it the better. That means no forced restarts for updates at inopportune times, no having to undo bad forced driver updates, no having to dealing with sudden UI modifications because MS feels it is the next "in" thing since it isn't just service packs but even the whole OS is now open to be modified by updates.

I serious shouldn't have had to have written all that and I'm not going to waste anymore of my time explaining what should have already been understood and researched. I just wanted to prevent someone that spent quite a decent amount of money on what will hopefully be a great machine used hopefully to create great art work from wasting their time and running into problems because of Win10 and bad unthought-out nor researched "advise." As far as touch UI in and of itself that though is definitely a matter of opinion and I honest would not advise against trying Win8.1 if it was an option for the sake of one making their own opinion. Although I wouldn't outright advice it either as the whole OS backup then upgrade then potential reinstall of the old backup in the end could just be a time consuming mess. If one already knows they're comfortable with Win7 and pen and that is how they plan to use it than why muck about in Win8.1's UI for potentially a few gimmicky touch features?

10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I use to be like that. Used Win 2000 instead of XP for years so the OS can "get out of the way". But I honestly can't go back to Win 7 now because the feature advancements of Windows since then is too much to give up.

BTW, I never log into Microsoft account in Windows 10 unless I'm buying an app or something. I have local accounts on the computer that is not attached to MS accounts. So I don't get bugged by "the cloud".