Thinkpad P50 with ThinkPad Pen Pro (Wacom AES)!?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by testplayer, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

I received a tracking # with my order, but unfortunately it doesn't work :). I'm being optimistic about the P70 working with this pen, but we'll see.

2. rebelismo

I wouldn't say that 64GB of RAM and Xeons are a total waste. Lots of RAM and a stable processor, along with a good GPU are the base ingredients for a very good rendering workstation. I understand that everyone has different needs, but both 2d and 3d software will use up A LOT of system resources when the projects get more complex. The funny thing is that projects ALWAYS grow in complexity. As long as the cost vs value is right then I'm all for getting a beefy workstation.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If he wants a render machine, i certainly wouldnt recommend a laptop for those duties. And if he is not buying it for render box duties, Xeon and ECC RAM over quad core i7 and normal ddr4 definitely is a waste of money.

Xeon and ECC is for when you need days and weeks and months of continuous runtime, not for reboot every few days content creation rig.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  4. rebelismo

According to my (quick) Cinebench check, the Xeon is a little bit more powerful than both of the i7 offerings. Whether that's worth the extra cash is dependent on the user, but what you said about the continuous Xeon runtime is true. That's what they're sold on: stability. Personally, even though I have a good workstation, I will definitely use the P70 to render on the go. From the beginning I was looking for a machine that could handle a list of software like: Maya, Houdini, Zbrush, Substance, 3dCoat, Resolve, Fusion, After Effects, Manga, PS etc. There are plenty of times where a fast processor and plenty of RAM will make the content creation process a lot less painful. Try Zremeshing an object with millions of polygons on a lower-spec machine. It's the definition of pain :)

5. Shogmaster

You definitely need quad core. That's not in question. The question is whether you need to pay for ECC thus Xeon. If the Xeon rig benches 5% faster but costs $1500 more, I would think that's a bad deal. But then again I'm a cheap bastard... :D

6. rebelismo

I completely understand what you're saying about cost vs value. Though you might as well replace the "cheap bastard" with smart shopper :). I'm sure that not everyone likes this idea, but I tend to get my laptops as refurbs with warranty. If I'm pricing it out correctly, there was about a thousand dollar price difference. So far so good...Other than Lenovo "not knowing" what pen tech they're using in the P70 :D.

Shogmaster likes this.
  7. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

She didn't say if she got ECC ram or not I thought the Xeon could be configured with either. As far as "64GB of RAM for what? Total waste." There though you are totally wrong. Even if her software usage doesn't use that much real ram she can always turn most of that into a ram drive which is both much faster than a SSD and doesn't suffer wear like a SSD does.

Also to "I would never consider a touch and penabled device running Windows 7" that is also wrong going with Windows 7 is NOT a bad ideal. With windows 7 you know you have a stable matured system but with Windows 10 you can't be sure if a Microsoft update and new feature change will bork something especially since Windows 10 is more a service now than as just an OS. This is a legitimate concern especially if one is using it for real work. The only thing I think that might make Windows 10 worth it is if one needs DirectX 12. The possible issues and policy changes Microsoft implemented with Windows 10 are significant and one shouldn't just upgrade unless they are sure it is what they want. Serious XoeisCool please research before deciding to upgrading to Windows 10. If she was getting a handheld tablet/hybrid for note taking than the upcoming features might be worth it but for her planned usage from her other post make me certain that the upgrade will be more headache than benefit.

Vaga likes this.
  8. Shogmaster

How about this then? getting 64GB of RAM from Lenovo is total waste. Did you see what they were charging for RAM? Get it home with minimum RAM from Lenovo and pack it yourself with more reasonable price for DDR4 from newegg or something.

9. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

"How about this then?..." That I completely agree. Only potential counterarguments would be either if it was hard to get to the ram I.E. if it was manufactured so you have to practically disassemble half of it to get to the ram slots or if the person rather the over charge than the effort of doing it themselves.

Edit: I don't personally know how difficult or easy it is to get to the ram on these particular models.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Well, lets say that if you ever think you want to use the touch feature of your display, you better forget it altogheter with windows 7: it's capable of recognizing touch, but it's not touch ready like 8.1 or 10
    If I remember correctly even Photoshop touch gestures don't work in windows 7.

surfaceproartist likes this.