Thinkpad P50 with ThinkPad Pen Pro (Wacom AES)!?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by testplayer, Feb 28, 2016.

1. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    thatcomicsguy and czm2000 like this.
  2. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, thats real. :vbbiggrin:

Back in the day, the venerable W700 / W701 had a built in Wacom digitizer in the palmrest. Now that sort of returns, only now the screen is used as the digitizer.

Beware though, this won´t be an option for people who work outside: Choosing the touch option will diminish the brightness of the 250 nits bright FHD IPS display (which isn´t terribly bright by todays standards) even further down to 220 nits, which is a bit dim. Also the screen will be semi-glossy, which is even worse for outdoor usage.

Regards,

A happy P50 FHD non-Touch owner^^

3. testplayer

Yep, I remember this beast. But writing on a screen is quite different from writing on a non-display digitizer, and I still remember how awkward it was when I wrote on Wacom Intuos for the first time. Perhaps it is fine for digital artist, but for mathematicians like me it is not acceptable.

For now I'm OK with my W540+ThinkVision LT1423p. Just hope Universal Stylus Initiative can achieve a universal standard this year.

4. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh hot damn that awesome!

Can the p50 or p70 flip backwards? Can't seem to find info on that.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is Lenovo stuck in 2004 with that mentality? Virtually every other OEM can produce IPS/Multitouch/Pen screens without taking a Nit hit. For a device this powerful, with literally every other spec speced out, you'd think 400 nits would be the bare minimum.

6. testplayer

Probably not. They are using the same hinge design as the W540, which can flip to about 180 degrees at maximum.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What the heck..? They put a 15.6" active stylus digitizer on this?

How does one use the pen on a regular laptop screen which can't flip around?

It's basically a useless feature. It's like putting a beautiful drafting board on the underside of a car. Yes, it's there. Yes, it's portable. But...

I'd almost assume this was somebody's idea of a (cruel) joke, -if it didn't cost a licensing fee. I don't think corporations have senses of humor figured into their budget planning sessions.

Wild theory:

The 15.6" AES system is buggy, which is why they scrapped the 15" Yoga series last year. But for some reason, they couldn't return the crappy digitizers and needed to write them off somehow, so incorporated them into a line of laptops where nobody would give a poop if they didn't actually work properly.

That's probably not even slightly accurate, but it makes sense in a childish sort of way. And I'm frowning in a childish sort of way right now, so...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    mathartist likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

9. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually don't mind a screen that can't flip. I rarely use that feature on my current fujitsu laptop. The screen real estate is really attractive on this one though. I was thinking about going for the P40, but larger screens are more comfortable for me to draw on. The 17.3 inch P70 also has pen support, which is...bananas. Nvidia graphics, a stylus, and a large screen. Lenovo must've been checking out the forums.

Would you happen to know whether the Thinkpad Pro Pen is adequate for drawing in Photoshop, Manga Studio, Paintstorm etc?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    jakeyjohn1 likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

Holy smokes! The P70 as well..?

That's amazing. A 17.3 inch screen which accepts stylus input is quite a feature.

I don't see how anybody could draw comfortably for a sustained period on a laptop screen. Perhaps if the screen bends back far enough, you might be able to rig some kind of desk setup which would make it usable as an Alt-Cintiq, but at that price point, ($3000 Canadian bux for the P70), I'd be far more tempted to pick up something like the Huion GT-185HD and use it with a regular laptop...

As for the suitability of Wacom's AES system for Photoshop, etc...

Nobody's tested out the 15" AES system yet, so we don't know exactly, but in general, Wacom's AES system for smaller screens has tested relatively well under MangaStudio 5, but I don't know for sure about Photoshop.