Thinkpad Helix

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by jhoff80, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am not familiar with the X1 Carbon. But I doubt I will get the i7 version if the i5 supports 8gb of ram.

2. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

What kind of programs are you guys running lol. With such an underpowered processor I highly doubt you all need 8gb unless you intend to leave programs such as photoshop running in the background, in which case the battery will drain extremely fast. Even most gaming desktops these days doesn't need more than 8gb. Although ram has gotten so cheap that it's a passable excuse.

3. michaelws

I am using Corel Painter 12 mostly. Photoshop CS6 and Zbrush 4r5. What do you mean by an underpowered processor on the Helix?

4. brokenlax

I'm saying that the ulv processor won't be able to take advantage of 8gb in most cases.

Don't think much of it. If anyone thinks they can utilize 8gb and maintain not overloading the processor then more power to them. But from my experience ulv processors will start to lag with a medium sized document open in photoshop.

5. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

which ultrabooks did you use? Normally more RAM will make a subtle and yet fundamental improvement, e.g. will make gpu-intensive applications smoother.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. brokenlax

The W700 and 700t. It's just a slow processor. There were no ram bottlenecks as it barely used a gig of space. Not swap either because it's running on an ssd.

I just think people who are getting 8gb models and using it as portable workstations or desktop replacements will be hugely disappointed.

7. michaelws

I am not expecting the results of a workstation. I just need to work in Painter for sketching for oil paintings. I am certain it will be as good as my current EP 121 and more portable and longer battery life. So I am thrilled. I like my Galaxy Note 10.1 but there are still no decent painting apps for android so I just do light sketching...but not to the level of painter 12 sketches.

8. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

The cpu is probably throttled down on the w700 and 700t (my guess) and not used to its full potential because of the heat and noise. On the other hand, helix has additional cooling mechanism in the keyboard and thus can better take advantage of the cpu and more RAM.

9. SrTapir

SrTapir Tabletomized

Adobe Acrobat, Chrome, and Photoshop working together eats more than 2 Gigs of RAM and only use a minimal portion of the CPU;

picu.jpg

Windows 8 needs between 1 to 2 Gigs of RAM, only 2 Gigs for the user, nowadays, is a dead end for the most of us..

10. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly, while having a good CPU definitely improves performance, RAM is critical for multi-tasking. Both my friend and I have ULV i7 laptops, mine with 8 GB and his with 4 GB. There is a noticeable difference in performance whenever he runs multiple heavy weight applications. I have run Photoshop, Eclipse and SQL Developer at the same time and the 3 combined are pushing over 4 GB.

If you're buying this device as a mobile workhorse I would definitely go with the 8 GB, if just using it to sketch I would consider something a lot cheaper. It'd be different if the RAM was upgradable, but the last thing you want to do is limit yourself from the start. I'd probably pick up the i7 as well. If your already spending 1.5K, you might as well pay the couple hundred more to future proof it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.