Thinkpad Helix

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by jhoff80, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...when I had the Helix in my hands this morning...It just felt good...>>

Jane: Did you have the opportunity to detach the slate portion? Did the shape (especially the square-ish bottom edge) feel OK?

2. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

CES2013: First look at Lenovo&#39;s ThinkPad Helix convertible notebook - YouTube

So some interesting stuff. One of the first CES vids where you can clearly hear everything she says. Looks like up to 256 GB storage option, which puts it a head of most current convertibles. Also, does sound like the dock actually charges the tablet when connected. Not just sits there. So nice backup battery when traveling from one meeting to the next. I can only imagine the second iteration with Haswell being 10x better. Decisions decisions :/.

3. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator

I asked them this during our product demo yesterday. The base does charge the tablet without the base having to be plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

4. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator

Yes, they've pretty much given Andreas and me free rein in there, and we've spent a lot of time at that particular display table with the Helix and the X1C Touch. We've popped the slate on and off a number of times checking it out. The slate feels good along all the edges.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

5. Taikero

Taikero Pen Pal - Newbie

This post on Reddit (snaky comments on Thinkpad Helix announced) seems to indicate that WWAN-equipped Helixes/Helices also have GPS, which is another big plus for me. So far, I'm seeing the following advantages for the Helix over the Surface Pro:

• 4G LTE
    • GPS (if you opt for WWAN)
    • 1" larger screen.
    • TrackPoint.
    • Larger trackpad (many people say that the sugar-packet-sized trackpad on the type/touch cover is nearly useless)
    • The second battery. This will be especially useful if it really does charge while the tablet is sleeping/off, since it means you can use it in tablet mode, throw the docked notebook in your bag, and have the slate charged once again when you're next ready to use it.
    • Silo for the pen, rather than just a magnetic clip. Adds a bit of security; even if you keep the device in a sleeve, I'd wonder about the pen rolling off the magnet and slipping about in my bag. Also, since the pen on the Surface snaps into the power connector's slot, it seems that you can't dock the pen and charge simultaneously--you'd have to set the pen on the desk while charging.
    • Ability to configure with double the SSD size (256 GB) and double the RAM (8 GB).
    • More stability in the keyboard, making typing in a car or on the bus less precarious. Also might provide a slightly larger, more rigid palm rest than the surface's covers. The clamshell probably protects the screen a bit better than a cover, though this is probably negligible.
    • Ability to use the keyboard as an at-home dock with an external monitor and perhipherals, since it has two USB 3.0 ports and Mini DisplayPort.
    • NFC

The Surface has the advantage of having an SD card slot and having USB 3.0 on the slate itself, and probably has a price advantage; likely a substantial price advantage if you opt for all of these additional features.

They both look like they'll be excellent devices, but I'm personally leaning heavily toward the Helix.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  6. pacca

pacca Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as I understood, you can't have 8gb on the helix. To me the race is between helix and kupa. Kupa has all the ports one could wish. A pity it has only 128gb, no touchpad and no silo for the stylus in the tablet (only in the keyboard)

Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 con Tapatalk 2

7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not much of a race when Kupa doesn't answer their emails. X15 has great specs but who cares if they won't sell me one?

8. pacca

pacca Pen Pal - Newbie

:-D you're right.. But let's wait and see. The helix can't be bought today either

Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 con Tapatalk 2

9. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Kupa does have a slot for stylus in the tablet. It's just inside of one of the bumper accessories you can attach to the side. Hopefully the opposite side has sufficient ports, otherwise you'll be taking that bumper on and off all the time.

That said, the Helix is still the clear winner to me. I would actually prefer a 13" screen, but with the necessary bezel I'm sure it will be approaching 13" sizes for the keyboard anyway (I have big hands). Although there site says 4GB max for RAM, almost every Lenovo rep at CES said 8GB in the higher model. Also, it was posted elsewhere that the i-core is actually the 7W version when in tablet mode, and that it's underclocked when so. Once docked, it jumps back to regular 13-17W. Supposedly this is the overdrive feature they've been taking about, which is why the tablet is so thin but is rumored to last around 6 hrs instead of the surface pros likely 4.

Still, I have a feeling we'll see even better power management with Haswell in the fall if you can wait. Many of these devices will see their mark 2 iterations that will fix the problems in mark 1,have double the graphic capabilities and improved battery life.

10. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

Without a source, it is a pure speculation about 7W CPU. From what I saw from official LenovoVision channel at youtube there is a 17W CPU. More details could be found at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/53433-thinkpad-helix-looks-promising-22.html#post307016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.