Thinkpad Helix

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by jhoff80, Jan 6, 2013.

1. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

The only thing that puts the Helix above the Surface Pro for me at this point is that the Helix is using a proven digitizer with a pen garage. The Surface Pro digitizer will really have to prove itself before I can say I'm all in.

2. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like the larger real-estate as well, and the improved battery life.

3. grndZr0

grndZr0 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I got my hands on the PPT of the sales presentation for this thing.

I see only one thing that could be a bummer...

There as a line that siad "MICRO-S" and it was lined out.

No othere mention of a micro sd card.

They will also be releaseing a Haswell in fall, and a Broadwell in 2014

4. Zeelobby

Not gonna lie, 20-30% CPU performance increase, 200% GPU performance of current chips. Extra battery life. I might just have to wait.

5. grndZr0

grndZr0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive been waiting too long!!! these will be a hot item on ebay, enev if used. I can sell it off in the fall.

6. Zeelobby

You think so? I've really been thinking the same thing to be honest. Get a good 6 months out of it, then resell it. Do you think you'll get a good return if it's in good condition?

7. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

Well now that we've uncovered that the Surface Pro is using Wacom, it gets tougher, but I still like the pen garage. I have one on my CL900 and not sure I can give up such a simple function.

8. Zeelobby

Well. On top of that you'd have to live with shorter battery life, less ports, smaller screen and non-standard keyboard. Honestly I really want to like the surface but to me it just seems somewhat expensive for what it gives back in return.

Just curious, but I've always thought a digitized stylus on a 10" screen was somewhat limiting. I always assumed that if you cared about sensitivity, you were probably an artist, and if so, it'd be easier to work with a larger canvas? Maybe there's some nuance with digitized stylus art that I'm missing.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, it's the same battery life in tablet-only mode. It's only when you nearly double the weight that the Helix has longer battery life.

10. Zeelobby

True. Although multiple lenovo reps at CES mentioned that the base also charges the tablet when connected. Now I'm not sure if they meant when it was plugged in but sitting through one meeting/class charging it on the dock before the next and having that life back would be pretty awesome. We'll have to wait and see what the actual battery lives are anyway

11. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to say, I have been waiting for the helix for a while but after the unveiling I'm starting to think the opposite of everything you said. To me the surface pro looks like it offers more for the money. Shorter battery life? Well it's rumored that the surface pro might use the new lower power ivy bridge, if this is true, it will more than likely get closer to 7 hours or more, and also get better life than the undocked helix. Less ports? Actually the surface pro has USB 3.0 as apposed to USB 2.0 as well as a microsdxc slot that the helix seems to have omitted from the current revision. Smaller screen? By one inch I'd say its somewhat negligible and adds to the portability. If it were by 3-4" the helix would have my money for sure. Non standard keyboard? I agree on this point, I would really like a clamshell dock with support. But I'm guessing a third party will make one if Microsoft doesn't at some point and after using the touch and type covers I really like them.
    For me the main benefits for the helix specs wise would be the i7 processor, the 256gb ssd, and the 8gb of ram. But to get these specs you will more than likely have to pay 2000+$ easily double the cost of the surface pro. I have been relentlessly researching the helix for months but as of now I'm really on the fence with this and the surface pro, slightly leaning toward the surface pro due to price.

12. Zeelobby

You definitely make fair points. I guess I'm just hesitant because of Microsoft's past journeys into the hardware department. While I do think the Surface RT is a solid device, the complete lack of sale statistics/profit generated from that venture makes me hesitant to instantly jump on board with the Pro. On the other hand, even if the Helix isn't a monstrous success, Lenovo will still be bringing in hardware profits from it's multitude of other successful lines, and will be able to support the Helix going forward. I don't know why I have this fear of Microsoft just dropping the surface, but I do. Call me a scaredy cat, haha. I mean I use Windows based products on a daily basis, but the sheer blind following the Surface Pro has garnered and backlash people give you for questioning it's viability makes me hesitant to join that crowd, haha. I'm no fanatic.

That said, I guess as a software developer I was hoping they would provide something with a little more oomph, such as i7 or 8GB RAM. I guess I could always use the Surface to remote connect to my desktop/servers though. I would also be interested in at some point, loading Ubuntu up on this thing, which I'm assuming should be possible.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  13. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree I would like something with more power like the helix but like I said, not at the cost of $1000 extra. I'm also no Microsoft fanatic, just for background, I have been using apple products for the past five years since switching from windows and love osx, ios etc.. I did dabble a bit with win 8 on my series 7 slate and while its not the best, it has great potential. My view really isn't biased toward Microsoft AT ALL, but I have a good feeling about the pro. here are a few things that will make me go for one or the other. If the helix isn't offered with somewhat deep discounts, truly doesn't have sdxc, and only has 256 levels of pressure I might not get it. If the surface gets less than 5 hours of battery, uses a shoddy pe technology, etc... I might not get it. For now its all up in the air until about one month from now when we have more info. But it's really between these two and its so close.

14. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

So far, without knowing for sure which specific CPUs the Surface Pro and Helix will be using, it's hard to make a decision based on battery-life. And even knowing the specific CPUs, we cannot trust the marketing. Only the reviews of actual owners will be able to determine how many hours each device will provide. There are plenty of examples of lower-than-advertised battery-life results in these forums.

15. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

North of $2000, like a number of high end Lenovo devices...

No that I'm a glass half-empty kind of guy (yea, right), but with the exception of Apple, I discount EVERY manufacturers battery life claims. They all over-promise and under-perform, or use unreasonable tests.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  16. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Surface vs. the Helix. A tough choice. For me, it comes down to portability. Plus, it's hard to mess with the RT for a short time and not get excited about the pro. The helix looks like more great thinkpad engineering. The overclcking fan in the base to build headroom is inspired. I expect the Surface display to be the better, given how great the RT display is. 3.6 lb weight and 11.6" display of the Helix tip the scale in favor of the 2 lb, 10" Surface. My X301 Thinkpad notebook only weighs 3.1 lb. The Helix would be a good replacement for a notebook. I'm looking for something smaller and lighter. The Surface will travel in the briefcase.

For the second time in a row, it looks like I'm buying a new model slate, sight unseen. Wacom confirmation is comforting.

17. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

I think this is an excellent point, as currently I toss my CL900 in my portfolio, zip it up, and I'm off to the next meeting. Tough decisions...

18. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

For me the biggest deciding factor is the battery life, RAM, and the ability to read pdf files comfortably. Lenovo probably overstated the battery life on the helix but it is still hard to believe it will shorter than the pro.

19. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

While I haven't examined all the specs for it yet, when I had the Helix in my hands this morning, I wanted it. It just felt good.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

20. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I don't have a need for a new tablet at the moment, so I can be picky-- but this is the form factor and quality grade I'm looking for. Haswell and a 13" screen would make it perfect for my usage pattern, but it looks very very nice. What's so sexy about Haawell on a model like this is that with the battery in the base, you wouldn't really have to go through the whole "compromise" process- power versus battery life, etc. I'm interested to hear more about the fan and over clocking system. That's part of what sounds so tasty to me.