1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Thinkpad Helix

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by jhoff80, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is the first tablet I've seen that even comes close to matching the Surface Pro in terms of my desire for it. I think I'm still leaning towards the Surface, but this thing looks great:

[​IMG]

Lenovo ThinkPad Helix tablet / laptop hybrid gets a power-up when it docks | The Verge

Apparently starting at $1499 and available in February.

Also, 3.68 pounds with the dock, 1.84 pounds for just the tablet.
    http://www.pcper.com/news/Mobile/CE...lix-Convertible-Ultrabook-Rip-and-Flip-Design

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-official/
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. I like Thinkpads. I use an X301 now. My only problem with the Helix is its display size. The 11.6" tablets I've held are all too big for me. Even the 10" Surface display is bigger than I would have liked but I think I can live with it.

The Helix is tempting though. The keyboard looks great and the glass trackpad looks incredible. The overclock cooling sounds innovative as well.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

I wish it was 10" too. Holding anything larger in portrait mode is really awkward.
  4. marcelor

marcelor Pen Pal - Newbie

5. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a X230 and thus would like helix to have similar size but with a stylus and a touch screen (x230t is too thick). 10" is not comfortable for pdf reading for me.
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Also, oops, I didn't realize there was already an old thread for it. :D
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Actually the older thread was based on the early rumor, it might not be a bad idea to focus discussion on the official specifications in the new thread. Not sure how to make that happen though.
  8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member

Done. Let's just do it. So I'm hearing that it comes with 8 GB RAM, which is awesome. Assuming I can pair this with a nice i7 and the keyboard isn't too small for my big hands, I think this is a sure winner for me, if it is Wacom enabled. While the surface is definitely a contender, I was not too impressed with either keyboard cover in actual use. I also doubt it will be nearing 10 hours of battery life. Honestly, a dock able keyboard with additional battery was what made the Asus transformer the first successful android device. It will make this device just as successful for the same reasons. The fact that this also has ports and a stylus are just bonuses. The only think which might deter me is if Asus somehow announces a transformer book with stylus and/or dedicated graphics.
  9. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

With a base price of $1,499, what do you think a fully loaded one will be?
  10. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like I may be replacing my Thinkpad Tablet 2 with this when it inevitably comes out! I doubt it'll be out by February knowing Lenovo's track record (the TPT2 was delayed 2 months) but who knows.
  11. dodgeis4me

dodgeis4me Pen Pal - Newbie

the x1 touch is the same price ($1499), but you can get it for under $1200 with the discounts. so maybe we will be able to get it cheaper then the $1499 price.
  12. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

In this video around 1:26 they state twice that the digitizer has 2048 levels of pressure, weather or not this is true is still up in the air. Lenovo ThinkPad Helix Hands On | english - YouTube

So far this is the tablet/laptop I plan to buy also I have seen versions with and without micro sad and camera flash but for that price they better include both.
  13. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm actually surprised that the TP2 hasn't been discounted more. Lenovo normlly makes its new devices available at a steep discount when they're released to drum-up interest. If the X1C is any example, you should be able to get the base Helix (also going to be called an X1 I believe) for > $1,200.
  14. Zeelobby

15. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah that's actually what I was thinking too. It seems to be a marketing ploy, at it high and offer discounts. I don't mind, especially if I can ge the most decked out version for around 1500$. I'm not willing to pay 1500$+ for an i5.
  16. valdarsh

valdarsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Q1 2013? That's not too far off. Is it mentioned anywhere that they are using a full voltage processor? Early rumors said it was a full power processor, but 6 hours without the base battery seems a bit long.

If its a full powered device, I'll be queuing up to get one ;)

If its not, I'll...probably still get one, but less queuing. I've been wanting to try Lenovo for ages.
  17. Zeelobby

It is highly unlikely that it will be full voltage. Even Intel's new line of Haswell chips, expected to be released later this year, are all looking to be low voltage in comparison. I still think a ULV i7 would be more than adequate for most work, but this obviously sacrifices some computing power for portability. Personally, I'm tempted to wait for iteration 2 with Haswell chip inside 20-30% performance increase over Ivy Bridge, and on-board GPU that is twice as powerful as HD 4000. Hopefully some more details will be released at Intel's CES address later today.
  18. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

What I got from one of the videos is that the keyboard dock has two fans that can kick in when the tablet is plugged in to enable overclock of the processor.
    Basically running low when in tablet only mode, but giving you full power when docked.
    This is also why there are so many connectors between the tablet and the dock as it looks like they have an in an out air channel built in between the tablet an the dock so the dock fans can extra cool the tablet.
  19. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

A week ago, on the original Helix thread, I conjectured about the possibility of the Helix using 2 CPUs. I was almost right! ;) The intricacy of the keyboard-dock was quite suspicious. My guess was that Lenovo would put both an Atom and an Ivy Bridge processor in the kit.

Now that I know it's just one CPU, I wish they had picked the new 10-watt Ivy Bridge to spare the battery a bit more. On the YouTube video, the Lenovo rep claimed 5hrs of battery life for the slate alone, but he was demonstrating the i7 model then. I wonder if the i3-based Helix can give 6-7 hours -- even if only on Power Saver mode.... That would be neat!
  20. Zeelobby

Looks like Haswell chips this spring. Wonder what this will be packing.