ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, this:
    ThinkPad X1 Helix Ports and Features
    pretty much clears it up (assuming the chinese manual is correct). It has no Ethernet, no VGA, no card reader, nor mini-HDMI.
    It has mini-displayport (on tablet and dock), 1xUSB2 (tablet only), 2xUSB3 (docked only), WWAN, audio.

It's a pity. I know you can get dongles for all these things (and displayport is great) but I'm not sure how they can sell it as a business convertible without standard ports. And the Sony Vaio Duo manages to provide a 2xUSB3, SD/MS card reader, full-size HDMI and VGA (can support both at the same time) and Ethernet in a similar sized package.

2. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At the same time I've played with the Duo in stores, and those floor models look pretty bad. I know they probably take a rough beating, but I like to imagine that under moderate conditions, that's what the device might look like a year from now, and those hinges were wiggling left and right. I definitely think the dockable tablet, flip model (yoga) or twist and lock (Fujitsu 902) will be the successful form factors. That said, the Sony is a beast of a machine. If it had some kind of track pad and a way to change the viewing angle it would be much more of a contender in my eyes. I can always add dongles and USB devices to gain additional functionality, but there is no way I am changing the tilt of that screen, haha.

3. sethk

sethk Pen Pal - Newbie

8 GB!!!! YES! Unless the Surface Pro has both a Wacom pen and 8GB, this one is a lock for me. Disappointed with the lack of full size ethernet, and VGA would have been nice, but I can live without both. USB 2.0 on the tablet - hope that's a typo. USB 2? On an i7? Why?

4. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah I have to agree. Although this is the one I plan to buy, for the price I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. The early model pics show a camera flash and micro sd port. Although neither of these are a deal breaker I feel like all the little things are adding up to make it less attractive at it steep price. Really USB 2.0? You couldn't just make it 3.0, the current standard. If the pen is only 256 levels of pressure I might have to pass and see what the surface offers. I'm still hoping this pans out but if you have to pay 2000 for the i7 model, I'm going to pass.

5. Zeelobby

Yeah. I just feel like I should keep holding out for better. Like someone will soon announce a 13" convertible with wacom, usb 3s, card reader, hdmi out, Haswell chips and dock able keyboard with full ports extended battery and a dedicated GPU. I'd spend 2k for that.

Still. Lenovo usually offers pretty decent discounts when devices are first released so it might not be 2k. What would the resell value on a high end Lenovo like this be? I'm tempted to get it, but if my dream machine comes out in 9 months it would be nice to trade in.

6. k0ral

k0ral Pen Pal - Newbie

How can i understand, before i buy it, if this model is noisy or quiet? Years ago I bought tx2000 and it is very noisy!

7. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait for others to buy it and comment on that point. Also, I'm sure there will be a review or two coming out that speaks to not only it's performance, and heat, but also fan noise.

I have found though, that sound can be highly relative and perceptual. That is to say, what I might consider not loud, you may consider to be too loud. That's when you have to rely on the old dB chart and what you know yourself to be able to tolerate.

8. k0ral

k0ral Pen Pal - Newbie

9. czm2000

That's just dumb. They even say for their definition of Micro SD Card Reader that it's "The easiest way to add storage and upload or download files to and from your tablet." and then the proceed to leave it off of a flag ship product. No sense. I know it won't be a big deal to many, but for someone like myself who has a 64GB SDXC card that I store media files on it so as not to use up valuable SSD space, it's getting awful close to being a deal breaker...and I've waited so long for this :-(

10. czm2000

11. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I cant agree more.. I have been waiting for this for months, thinking this would be the end all and the perfect solution. The more and more i find out, the more im leaning toward the surface pro. Why would they omit such small details like a micro sd card slot while including it in the more budget friendly models? Also there is no way in hell im paying 1500$ plus for a tablet with only 4gb, that was a huge selling point for me. I really hope that at least will be a typo and they will offer an 8gb version with deep discounts otherwise im counting it out. God i hope the surface pen is wacom with 1024 levels of pressure. This is all so disappointing. I might just have to use old school pen and paper until the haswell comes out and we some some real tablets. Waiting, waiting and more waiting..

12. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words,-"Wait and hope".

- Alexandre Dumas

13. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, it is disappointing. I had also been holding out for one, but in the end bought a Vaio Duo, and don't regret the decision.

What about the Asus transformer book?
    ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS ASUS Transformer Book TX300

also only 4GB ram but it has a FHD IPS screen, 128GB SDD in the tablet + 500GB HDD in the dock., card readers, RJ45, mini displayport and micro HDMI. So it seems to have almost everything the Helix has (except 3G) plus much better port selection. It may have a bigger screen but doesn't seem that much heavier.

14. mark.kemp

mark.kemp Pen Pal - Newbie

Just read the in-depth look over at The Verge and they mentioned that 'This isn't a Wacom implementation, but its pressure sensitivity and apps like OneNote and Fresh Paint responded well to the pen use'.

Will want to see some inking demos before committing.

15. czm2000

UPDATE: Just realized you were talking about the Surface Pro when referencing it wasn't Wacom. My bad. Still bummed about several other things on the Helix though.

Interesting. If it's not Wacom and it's not N-trig I wonder what tech the digitizer could be.

Regardless, absent 8GB of RAM, no Card Reader, and not Wacom, plus over $1,500 (probably closer to $1, 800+ for what I want) and I'm pretty sure I'm out. I can't even describe how disappointed I am. Especially having been a long time Thinkpad customer (A20, T20, T400, T400S, X200, X220, and just bought my daughter an e430), I'm sad to say I may need to shop elsewhere :-(

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  16. czm2000

No Stylus...

17. czm2000

The Wacom digitizer on the Helix only has 256 points of pressure sensitivity. It's like the news just keeps getting worse...

18. Zeelobby

Honestly. With its initial announcement, I had really REALLY hoped that the transformer book would be my first adventure into touch windows 8. Everything looked great: digitized stylus, dedicated GPU, 13" screen and the recent device quality that Asus has shown had me holding on to the edge of my seat. Now though: no stylus, only 4 GB RAM, only storage in keyboard and honestly one of the worst advertisements I have ever seen for an "art" device and I just can't help but scratch my head.

Helix then became the prize of my eye. I was willing to sacrifice screen size for stylus, but now it appears to only be 256 levels of pressure. No SD slot. And very expensive...

When will the device I want ever be released...

19. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

When did everyone start dealing out about 256? That's what basically all tablets have. It's no big deal.

20. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

I was told they had to choose between cooling and the card slot.