ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sethk

sethk Pen Pal - Newbie

Since you ask... there are things about the x220t that drive me crazy. These may not apply to you, or happen to you, so read into it what you will.

- Screen. The x220t was / is an expensive laptop and the quality of the screen was not my favorite. I thought dull screens + touch capability was a given until I saw the Helix (and Surface Pro). Then there is the resolution.

- Battery life and size. Given the weight, the battery life always bothered me. I had an older Vaio that lasted an hour longer and was thinner and lighter. Tech moves on, but I always wished Sony had tried a tablet (duo 11 was not what I had in mind). The form factor was not one that was conducive to laying back on the couch and in bed and using. Really appreciate being able to choose between battery life and portability / lightness with the Helix.

- 'Phantoms'. This one is more arguable but I have had issues with docking / undocking and screen rotation on every x220t I have used. The wireless radio on 2 of them had issues.

- Lacking specs. At the time, the limited SSD choices and prices drove me crazy. I bought aftermarket SSDs and installed them myself. Not what I wanted in a brand new 2000$ laptop. Then there was the lack of USB3. My personal laptop was an older Envy with USB3, and I appreciated notnhaving to mess around with expresscard usb3 adapters.

- Crappy software pre-load. Buggy from day 1 and intrusive. Not as bad as some, and has improved over time, but I am impressed with the improvements in the Helix, given its not even available yet from Lenovo officially. The wintab driver for the Wacom pen is the only exception, and that is now fixed.

I won't bring up Win 7 deficiencies, since youncan now load win 8 on the x220t, I presume, but I'm very pleased with the Helix (applying some tweaks like Start8 though.) I'm sure there are things I am forgetting about the X220t.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks for all that. After upgrading (yes, I said UPgrading) to Win8 and installing an SSD, this X220t is a pretty good machine, but as you say it's pretty heavy for the battery life it gets. Ever since the Win8 upgrade I get around 3.5h out of it (used to be 5+, not sure what happened), and with that it weighs 4.1 lbs.

So there's the weight, and the x220t touch screen isn't fast enough to work well in Win8, or at least that how it seems on my machine. Jump lists don't work well, edge swipes are often misinterpreted. Given all that I'm holding on for dear life trying not to order a Helix before Haswell, but it's definitely a challenge!

3. wolfindersteppe

wolfindersteppe Pen Pal - Newbie

Following statement describes mine pain point with Helix release date:"It's getting a little tiresome ending all pre-Computex laptop reviews this way, but it's worth repeating nonetheless: unless your laptop dies a sudden death leaving you without a computer, you should wait until Intel launches its next-gen Haswell chips before making a purchase." The source: ASUS Transformer Book review: meet ASUS' first detachable Ultrabook

4. loknor

loknor Pen Pal - Newbie

I read the article and they have zero data on how Haswell will improve everything into nirvana. What you don't mention is crucial, namely they simply test the current gen CPU's and have no Haswell on test at all.

1. The battery life is a red herring. Considering the wattage gain it will be minor, as there re other parts that take a lot of energy too.
    2. The graphics argument is the best one... but the ULV's get a castrated GPU design.

Will Haswell be better, of course. Is it worth waiting for? Yes, if there's a clear release data and accompanying product. Right now there's none, so if you expect it to hit convertble ultrabooks with Wacom before Christmas I think you are misstaken.

The Haswell hype is fantastic work by Intel. I never saw more exictement about a stepping upgrade.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  5. Taikero

Taikero Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  6. CostcoLawDegree

CostcoLawDegree Pen Pal - Newbie

Only the i5 and i7 model is available, starting price $1,679.00.

Availability Estimated ship date: 6/6/13. Almost three weeks!

7. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Still coming soon on the Canadian website. :(

8. pion2099

pion2099 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well that's extremely disappointing. Has anybody heard anything about mobile broadband?

I also heard about Lenovo discounts, does anyone have any info on that?

9. jasoncli

jasoncli Scribbler - Standard Member

I just ordered mine. I wanted to buy a second power adapter but couldn't find one when purchasing. I was a little disappointed about not having the 3g or 4g options but I'm so tired of waiting. Hopefully I can add it manually afterwards. For those who own one, does it appear easy to open up?

10. loknor

loknor Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd say it's absolutely impossible to manually add 3g/4g functionality. However, there's an easy workaround: tether with your phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.