ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I guess we should all thank Fujitsu for sticking with full voltage Wacom equipped convertibles when all others are abandoning the form factor...

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I vaguely recall that an Italian blogger mentioned that an X240t was forthcoming, somewhere on this forum, so maybe not all is lost.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

3. Shogmaster

I hope that is true, and I also hope that it's not another 1366x768 LCD unit. Come the f on... What is this sh*t... etc...

4. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

It's MS's fault for dictating 16:9 format for the UI Snap feature to work. The manuafacturers are rushing to contain that which is terrible. HP is breaking from that pack with the 16:10 Elitepad 900 (still not higher powered like you are looking for but a breakout nonetheless) and catching manure for not 'having a high enough resolution to make Window 8 work....whah.'

I don't buy a TabletPC to be a portable movie player; I buy my mobile device to work. So with that I also despise Window 8 and yes, it is no longer "Windows" as MS is delivering us DOS 6.x like performance once again with non-multitasking full screen 'apps' so to me it is Window 8. On a 10" tablet it may make some sesne but I cannot wait to see the calculator displayed on one of my son's 27" high resolution monitors attached to his quad-core gaming desktop with dual video cards...

5. Shogmaster

Really? Is that why we were stuck at 1280x800 for last 8 years?

Come on dude. Snap has nothing to do with anything. It's the ODMs being short sighted.

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You should see what it looks like on my 2600k, 32Gb, 570 sli, 2x Dell 1920x1200 setup... It's HUGE!

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Putting a 1080p screen on a 10" (or even 12") device is nonsense! People gotta step out of this bubble for a mere 5 seconds and realize that it makes the UI a hassle to be touched with a finger (even by people with small hands!). The result of this is that it makes the Pen an absolute necessity in Desktop-based programs. And when we remember that many new Tablet PCs are shipping without Pens, the demand for 1080p screens become ever more amusing. 1080p also makes text much harder to read if you use the tablet on laptop mode on your lap!

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What? Why not just upscale your dpi? High res isn't for a bigger workspace, it's for a clean nice res.

Why not make an OS that really is made for a tablet, instead of half-*ssing it and keeping the desktop on tablets?

9. Shogmaster

AMEN! Seriously, the ODM are off the mark in both directions by wide margin. It's either 1366x768 on 12.5" or 1920x1080 on 10.1~11.6". WTF you morons!!!

Someone get me $1M venture capital and I'll build us the perfect art tablet. F these marketing driven idiots that we are stuck with...

We finally got that and all the app devs are doing the lowest common denominator dance on Modern UI side. We won't get any apps that uses decent CPU power as baseline in Modern UI for long LONG time. They will all aim for Tegra 3 as baseline, which means crappy weak powered apps like Sketchbook Express and its irk...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

No offense, but art work on a tablet represents what percentage of total sales?!

11. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That and giving us an AMD based tablet with two usb ports and a digitizer, though it is N-Trig(better than nothing). There is also that odd 11.6in model that is the Helix competitor with ulv cpu, but that's also N-Trig. Why can't Lenovo give us this much option in their Thinkpad line.

12. paul.p

paul.p Pen Pal - Newbie

The deciding factor in a laptop replacement for me is available RAM. 4GB of RAM doesn't make for a good laptop replacement. 8GB is the minimum amount of RAM that would be acceptable. I'm hoping that they do make an 8GB version. I'm unfamiliar with with the board architecture but if the Macbook Air with an Ivy Bridge i7 (although a different chip 3667u, I'm assuming the Helix will have the same ulv i7 3517u as the Vaio Duo 11) allows for 8GB DDR3L to be soldered to the board why not on the Helix.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  13. Shogmaster

More room on the Macbook Air. Helix has to contain all the necessary components to run it as a computer in the slate portion. Macbook Air can divide that into two housing, even though one of them will have keyboard that Helix's slate portion will not need to contain, it nevertheless has more room. Also, MBA doesn't need to worry about Wacom digitizer board and it's controller board.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to shove in 8GB of RAM on the mobo on the Helix, I'm saying that even if they are using the same density chips as MBA, it's improbable. 8GB MBA has 16 of 4GBit chips on it. 16 chips! It's probably 8 per each side of the board. That's not gonna fly in 11.6" slates that are super cramped for space.

I think in order to see 8GB of RAM in 11.6" slates, I think we need to wait for the higher density DDR3 chips to be widely available (8GBit).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  14. paul.p

paul.p Pen Pal - Newbie

@Shogmaster

Thanks for the link. I guess I have to give Apple credit where it's due because I never realized how impressive the MBA really was. On top of all the RAM(8GB) and Flash Storage (512GB) they seem to cram a good amount of battery in there(50kwh).

So if the Helix is a Wacom touch/pen enabled 11.6" slim convertible/hybrid with 8GB RAM and an extended battery life with the dock, it would be the ideal Laptop replacement. Here's to hoping that those additional 4GB make it, otherwise I'll have to learn to live with N-trig on the Vaio Duo 11.

15. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The Helix makes me salivate. Probably the closest thing to the TC-1100 so far. If only the TPT2 had a better keyboard-dock....then I'd be able to save some money as the Clover Trail CPU is probably enough for me. The Helix will likely cost over $1,200.

16. ibmthink

ibmthink Pen Pal - Newbie

I don´t think it will be that expensive. Take a look on the Surface Pro, it will cost 899 $ +. so maybe the Helix will start at 900-1000 $

17. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

The Helix will be $1,200+ all day long...at least for the version worth getting ;-)

18. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Plus being heavy. Minus 5 hours of battery :)

19. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha! Yes, this is probably also true :)

20. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

So its been confirmed this has the battery in the dock? Looks like it from the pics, only way an IB is getting 10hours.