ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

My guess is that the base model will be between $1,000 and $1,200 after coupons, instant rebates, etc.

2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At launch...$1,200 is a long shot but possible I suppose. $1,000 though, not a chance. IMHO. Gotta remember, this thing comes with the keyboard dock with built in additional battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

3. Andromeduck

Andromeduck Pen Pal - Newbie

well the official word around CES was $1500 starting with i5 4gb ram and 128 gb ssd

i5 8gb and 180gb ssd is all I need but right now it seems like it'd be cheaper to get an ipad and a zenbook or x1c and a ipad mini

4. loknor

loknor Pen Pal - Newbie

Obviously you are not interested in the stylus, so I strongly advice you not to go for the Helix. The Helix will not be cheap as it is not really a consumer device, nor does Windows 8 work so nice for "Tablet consumption" as either iOs or Android. If you really want a convertible check out the Transformer 300 from Asus, it leaves you with enough cash for a good ultrabook.

You would be paying a premium for the stylus imho.

5. loknor

loknor Pen Pal - Newbie

It's much better than the X230T which it's replacing. It's also right in line with the used components. I understand you need/want more, but what you need can't be fullfilled in Wintel, unless you add a few pounds for battery ;)

And it's not just the CPU, Haswell won't really help unless across the board components are cut (Wintel Mobo's are more compicated than Arm) and unless we are satisfies with ULV graphic options.

Weight, Performance, Battery life. Pick two ;)

I'd say you are overly optimistic there. The best guess is a tad less than the Surface Pro undocked and approx 40% more with the dock. Six hours is pretty much to be expected.

6. Andromeduck

Andromeduck Pen Pal - Newbie

the stylus is important but given microsoft's inability to fix the reader ink corruption bugs, the lack of wacom wintab drivers, the poor accuracy near screen corners (maybe driver fix?) and improved/active styluses like the iPen...

If asus can shove a 600 nit 1920x1200 Super IPS+ display into a $450 device why the hell cant lenovo do the same in a $1500 device

7. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

Can't believe this still isn't out yet. The SP will be 2 months old next week.

8. Seewolf

Seewolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Me was told today, that they expect it in 2 weeks......they told me the same 2 weeks ago....

9. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.