ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yes, absolutely. If you prefer the desktop environment to Metro...don't use any metro apps. Problem solved. For someone who stays in the desktop, the start screen is really just a full-screen start menu, with more space for pinning frequently-used program and directories and the exact same "start menu search" functionality of Windows 7.

2. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Or just get Start8 from Stardock (for example) and return the Windows 7 start menu in Windows 8. Enjoy the best of both worlds.

2d

3. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Classic Shell also works great. It is freeware. I prefer it to Start8. Lot more configuration options than Start8. The dev is very responsive and helpful. I paid him since I find it very useful. I tried it on a Win 8 laptop which I returned but still using it on Win 7 system which is pretty much personalized like a Win XP interface using Classic Shell.

On a laptop you have to disable edge swipes on the touchpad. Otherwise the Metro charm side bar thing will pop up accidentally. You have to disable the hot corners also.

4. k0ral

k0ral Pen Pal - Newbie

any news about this tablet?:)

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Nada. I keep looking every once and a while, but there hasn't been a thing anywhere. Sigh.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Interesting comment over on Notebookreview.

Confirmed the speculation that the X2xxT series is being discontinued and the Helix is the new 12" flagship model.

7. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Would seem a bit backwards since the last two X series models were a larger 12.5in model and came with a full voltage cpu, which was nice for those who needed it.

8. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I think traditional convertibles will become rarer and rarer now that the industry has rediscovered the detachable form-factor. But the convertibles can offer a lot of power and that is hard to get from detachables. Unless some OEM tries a detachable design in which there's one Atom CPU inside the slate and an i7 CPU inside the keyboard.

9. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

There is some rumor that thinkpad helix has this architecture: an atom cpu inside the slate and an i-core CPU inside the keyboard. But I am doubtful as it sounds too complicated.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I really like that vision, we saw an early version of that with Android in the slate (forgot who showed that first). It basically makes the screen a relatively dumb slate with some storage, and the user could plug this into an authorized higher power dock, e.g. mobile i7 on a keyboard dock, and some monstrous CPU on a desktop dock.

As rzp2003 implied though, the amount of engineering required may not be worth it given that most consumers are fine with one medium-powered solution that does everything pretty well.

As for the Helix I'm still intrigued, but the complicated hinge/dock design looks a bit scary. It reminds me of the way the wings of your trusted airliner come apart when the flaps extend during landing. I guess as long as the mechanism has the same reliability as airplane wings we'll be OK.

11. paul.p

paul.p Pen Pal - Newbie

12. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

If they were aiming for a December release, they would say it, I think. I'm guessing January.

13. ibmthink

ibmthink Pen Pal - Newbie

14. Steve B

What's the story on the 10W IB chips, btw? Does anyone know anything? My presumption is significantly better battery life at the cost of power? Sort of a cpu that's part way between an Atom and a normal iCore????? It's a trade off I could take-- though the fact that this supposeldy has a battery in the base as well as the slate makes it much more desirable as an iCore tablet.

15. ibmthink

ibmthink Pen Pal - Newbie

Take a look on these slides here:
    Roadmap-Ultra-Segment.jpg Y-Core-Specs.jpg

16. Steve B

Cool... So, does anyone have a translation for that? LOL. I think they're comparing the new IB CPUs with an older 1.1 ghz core2duo, right? And showing that the have similar tdp? Does anyone have any thought on what that should mean when applied to real life, re: battery life and CPU power?

17. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8 pages of discussion and not one comment about how X200T series being replaced by this dainty thing means no more full power art machine from Lenovo... Didn't you guys bothered to think that this wundermachine will ONLY HAVE 4GB OF RAM MAX?

It's horrible fate that the only real proper art Tablet PC option left to us will be the $2000 Fujitsu T902... Great for Fujitsu, but horrible for those on the budget.

18. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

Erm, in that table shown in the previous post, isn't that 4MB the Cache size? In other words, it tells us nothing about the maximum RAM that the chip supports?

19. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The thin and small form factor dictates that the RAM will be soldered on the motherboard. And that and the maximum density they currently use for DDR3 chip size also dictates that maximum ODMs will put on the mobo is 4GB of RAM.

If you want more than 4GB of RAM, you will have to give up the thin form factor to allow a SODIMM slot. Something like the Sony VAIO Duo 11 would be smallest (up to 4GB soldered on the motherboard + one SODIMM slot).

20. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well there is also the 12.5in Fuji T732, which if I am not mistaken is also using full voltage cpu, and wacom pen. Could be another option for those looking for more power than the ULV models.