ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. dodgeis4me

dodgeis4me Pen Pal - Newbie

i wounder if you can buy the tablet and not the keyboard. maybe saving some cash and being able to get the keyboard later.

2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Available with 8GB of RAM :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

3. czm2000

Ridiculous, no SD or MicroSD card slots.

4. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a microSD slot, I saw it in one of the pictures on the Verge article

5. czm2000

I sure hope you're right because I really need a card reader of some kind.

The review I just read (my previous link) from someone who was hands on time with it said no card reader. I remember the Verge article too, that's why I'm holding out hope. Would be pretty ridiculous to include a mini display port and mini HDMI. I'd say if they ran out of room to just ditch one of those, and preferably the mini display port. Would be really dumb not to include a card reader. Fingers crossed...

6. bathala

bathala Pen Pal - Newbie

7. czm2000

Awesome! Thanks for the great news.

8. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

Snag is that these ports are hidden when it's docked. It's difficult to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like you get many ports in its docked form. The ports on the dock only seem to be in the back, where there's a display port, 2 usbs, and power. So if you mainly use it in docked form (as I would), you have a pretty limited selection of ports. Perhaps I'm wrong, as I have seen claims that it has an Ethernet port, but no idea where that would be.

9. czm2000

@bathala

The picture of the bottom of yours shows a MicroSD card slot. But the picture that Laptop Magazine just took of it doesn't show one. Looks like it was removed. How recent is your photo, where did you get it from? Unless the have a couple of different early builds floating around, I fear the MicroSD card slot may have been removed :(

uploadfromtaptalk1357557748263.jpg

10. kvoram

kvoram Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh boy, I was also happy when I saw the picture with the microSD card slot. So there are definitely two versions on display at CES 2013.
    Sources with microSD:
    Gallery: Lenovo ThinkPad Helix hands-on pictures | The Verge
    Sources without microSD:
    helix-21
    Lenovo ThinkPad Helix pictures and hands-on - photo 4 - Pocket-lint

Unfortunately the one without microSD seems to be newer. The photos on the first page of this thread show a microSD slot and are dated ca. Oct. 2012. The chinese manual that is online, is dated Nov 14, 2012 and shows the version without microSD slot and also doesn't mention it at all.
    The press release is not mentioning all the ports and there is nothing yet on the Lenovo website. I wouldn't count on it but let's cross our fingers. Having no microSD or regular SD card slot, would be a serious obmission.
    Also there seems to be no Ethernet and no VGA port. Add to this the fact that it doesn't offer regular sized HDMI and Display Port, and you can be sure that you will almost always need to have one or even several adapters with you. They should have made the dock 2-3mm thicker and give us regular sized ports. With the tablet being detachable there is no need to make the keyboard dock as thin as possible.