ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Seewolf

Seewolf Pen Pal - Newbie

I´m really excited about the Helix, looks very promising. All the cons of the Surface Pro don´t exist (battery life, bigger in size 11,6, and the main point for me: The battery is replacable)

It´s terrible with these win8 tablets, all are delayed or not available, does anyone know why ?

2. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

No SD card slot? That's too bad.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hmmmmmm. What could it be. Could some company that rhymes with Psychosoft suck at planning and marketing?;)

4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haha. I think that is exactly it. I also think individual OEMs didn't have mass production completely thought out prior to release. The fact that a lot of these manufacturers purchase their components, specifically touch screens, from the same manufacturer means I'm sure there have been plenty of I got here first moments. Never before has there been such a massed coinciding release of hardware incorporating new technology with old.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

But, it's not Microsoft's fault, IMO, that every other OEM is releasing tablets months and months and months after the OS release. That's Lenovo's, and HP's, and Dell's, etc etc fault, isn't it?

Now, this issue with lack of pressure sensitivity in art programs, that seems to be a Win8 thing, not an OEM thing. So I agree with you there. But the rest doesn't seem to be MS's fault, to me.

6. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Spot on, and not to mention that Win8 was in open beta forever. It's not like it smacked them on the forehead Oct 26th and that was the first time OEM's had the chance to see it. I like to blame MS for a lot of things, but the OEM's manufacturing delays aren't one of them.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

7. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

My .02, and it has been my opinion for a while now and the Win 8 situation kinda-sorta substantiates it a little.

The integrators you are familiar with for this discussion, namely HP, Lenovo, Dell, Fujitsu, Motion, Panasonic, etc. are all in the business to sell to large corporations. Yes, they also sell to individuals but their core business is business. 'Reps' have been out pushing Win 8 devices to IT departments since the middle of last year. The wheels of business grind slow and their operations are just not in any hurry to provide anything to us as individual consumers. Case in point; Emirates Air and the Elitepad 900 announcement by HP even before we knew what a 900 was. These integrators are not consumer companies and they have a more traditional focus. At least we can ride on the coattails of what they design for business use; metal cases, hardened screens, digitizers, and tough MIL specs.

Now, there are at least 2 consumer focused integrators that have released and supplied more what we could call 'on time' although even they slipped a little; Sony and Samsung. These 2 stand in stark contrast to the business focused integrators in delivery, sales channels, and even design (more plastic and no dropsy protection). Samsung even went so far as to develop their own drivers for the Clover Trail 500T to get it out on time.

Microsoft is a new contender in the consumer space and has that focus. Hopefully this puts a little pressure on the business end of things, but, I expect it will not have an effect for a long time yet.

8. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

What about Acer with the new tablets they recently brought to market. I think everyone is just trying to decide if it is worth the effort to make a "tablet for the people". How often have you seen a Fujitsu tablet in the hands of the general public? I'm betting not very often, and they have had tablets for many, many years.

9. bahferretboy

bahferretboy Pen Pal - Newbie

So does lenovo have any dates set for announcements and news on the helix?

Or is it just a case of waiting around till they finally decide to drop nuggets here and there :(

10. CostcoLawDegree

CostcoLawDegree Pen Pal - Newbie

They've given multiple dates. Original release was scheduled for January. According to Facebook it's maybe the start of March. Otherwise it will be released in the "Spring." That probably means we'll see it released in July or August, right in time for better processors.

11. narco

narco Pen Pal - Newbie

Today i have heard by my Lenovo dealer that apparently the Helix' delay is due to problems of it's touchscreen together with the Windows 8 installation and that they should be available in the first week of april.

12. pacca

pacca Pen Pal - Newbie

April? Few days ago they said on their fb page that it would be shipped in early march!

Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 con Tapatalk 2

13. Seewolf

Seewolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Early april.....than let´s hope it´s early april.....I need that thing really for my work.

14. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yes please, although the longer they delay, the less guilty I'll feel about selling this X220t while I still have more than a year on-site warranty on it.

Speaking of which, is the warranty transferable to the new owner when I sell it?

15. czm2000

Yes, it is. Don't even need to transfer it really. With Lenovo the warranty is on the device, not the person owning it. Really quite nice and one of the more owner friendly warranty programs out there.

16. JoeS

17. czm2000

Excellent find. Thanks for the link!

This gives me renewed hope that the next generation of Windows tablets will be something to be proud of. I realize that the current group was a very necessary step in the "evolution". But I can't wait to see what's next. Think I'm gonna skip the Helix (first gen anyway) and stick with my Duo 11 for now (also the Thinkpad Tablet 2 is going back today).

So here's to a bright future and praying for more patience, since that doesn't seem to be a strength of mine ;-)

18. JoeS

That's what I'm thinking, at least on some days.. Wish us both luck. Thanks for the tip on the Lenovo warranty by the way.

19. Seewolf

Seewolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Will we see any Haswell tablets in this decade ? :D

20. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member