ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

I never had a problem with scratching or cracking with my matte, tablet displays. I have dropped my X41 onto its corner from a chair. No cracking. I have always used tablets without screen protectors, and no scratching. My CL900 is a 'rugged' machine, and it has a matte display. I also dropped it from a table. No cracking. I don't think you need Gorilla Glass to have a display that is durable and scratch resistant.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. CostcoLawDegree

CostcoLawDegree Pen Pal - Newbie

Right, but your experiences are anecdotal. There's a reason most premium cellphones come with gorilla glass or equivalents. It helps protect screens. For every good experience you've had, there's a bad one to match that might have been prevented with a reinforced screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I'm sorry but tablet pc's for years didn't have Gorilla Glass and were fine. They never broke or cracked and had endless pen use. Many of them also had matte screens or anti-glare screens, and were fine. Motion Computing still does so.

The concept that you have to have a glossy finish Gorilla Glass screen to have a protected tablet pc screen is a fallacy, IMO, that is refuted by years of previous experience of tablet pc users successfully using matte and AG screens without real issue.

4. bahferretboy

bahferretboy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm fairly sure I've heard stories from wacom cintiq users who had matte screens, that they got some minor scuffs/scratches after a few months use.

Would GG not stop this? If so, seems like a good addition to me, being a user who is buying a tabletpc solely for the purpose of drawing in photoshop.
    I'm pretty paranoid about this stuff, so even if it does have GG, I'd still be buying a screen protector to go on top anyway.
    Not risking anything- especially after paying $1500

5. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a screen protector on my Duo 11 and love the feel it gives the stylus when sketching. Feels much more like paper than when it was just straight up GG.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

6. snowcrash101

snowcrash101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I too have used a matte screen (X61t) and not had problems with scratching/breaking the screen, even though the rest of it is slowly coming apart!

It's true that GG is scratch resistant, I dare you to 'key' your tablet or phone. Though there's a myth that it is crack resistant, you only have do notice how many cracked phone screens there are, and google will confirm that the brittle quality of GG makes it scratch resistant but not crack resistant.

Anyhow, it seems that productivity (i.e. matte screen and 4:3) isn't high on the agenda of supposedley ultraportable-tablets aimed at business/serious users. It's crazy how for a $1400 Helix you may have to resort to a matte screen protector to make it more usuable in certain environments.

7. Steve B

I too have read about scratches on matte Cintiq's-- this is definitely an issue for them. However, this doesn't seem to be the same material as what is used on matte finished tablet pc's. I have an older matte Cintiq- an 18sx, not a 21ux- and I can only tell you its significantly different in feel and look from my old matte Motion le1600/le1700's, which I've not had scratches on (beyond the normal wear and tear of any glass screen- even my GG stuff). I'm not sure what's going on with those Cintiqs, but my experience is that you don't need to necessarily compare that experience to what we are discussing about matte finishes on tablet pc's-- they don't seem to be having the same response.

Anyways, in truth this is sort of academic. For now, matte screens are a thing of the past for tablet pc's, and it they did release one I'm sure people would give it sh*t for not having as crisp and clear of a screen, even if it was more readable in a host of situations.

The truth is that if you want a screen that works in high-light situations, you need to find one with an Anti-Glare layer, use a screen protector, or buy it from specific vendors that design for business users in Vertical Markets who don't care about glossy screens and just want the device to work at work (such as Motion Computing). It's a niche market for now, though most things go in cycles

8. ibmthink

ibmthink Pen Pal - Newbie

9. CostcoLawDegree

10. czm2000

Looks like it wasn't delayed to include the refresh on the i7 ULV's?

11. ibmthink

Well, only the geizhals.de site, the specific shops (liek this one: Campuspoint - Lenovo ThinkPad® Helix Convertible Ultrabook) don´t list the SD-Card reader.

12. czm2000

The photos of what are supposedly the final production unit show that it's been removed. It's also been addressed by Lenovo who said it was a matter of needing more ventilation. Which I can fully appreciate, but still can't understand for the life of me why they didn't work it into one of the other sides. Seems to me it would have required a little more redesigneffort and they didn't feel like it. Just wanted to remove it and give more room for air flow without having to retool the innards. Pretty lame for a "no compromise" tablet as they keep calling it, imho.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

13. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looks like they send out just enough conflicting information to keep us guessing..

14. CostcoLawDegree

That's if it's intentional. If they are intentionally sending out conflicting information, Lenovo has an abysmal marketing team.

If it's not intentional, Lenovo has managed to botch any momentum they had at CES with the delays and lack of information. So, I guess they still have an abysmal marketing team.

There are two very simple questions they can answer that would actually HELP drum up interest:

1) When is the release date?
    2) What option pairings do we get - and what is the price?

15. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Delays? Lenovo said it would be available 'Spring 2013'...that is starting 21-Mar through 21-Jun. That is a long way off yet; no delays yet.

To me the Helix looked real good right up to the point when I found out it had no USB port(s), HDMI, or SD solution on the slate portion. As a business tool, what the heck is Lenovo thinking? If I wanted a laptop I would buy a laptop. If I want a device that is so dependent on the keyboard being present I will buy an HP Revolve instead. Lenovo took the momentum that they enjoyed unintentionally with the leaks in China and deflated the bubble with their connectivity vacuum.

16. ibmthink

? What are you talking about? The Helix itself (without dock) has at least one USB port and one miniDisplayPort. ;)

17. Steve B

Agreed. The slate is actually quite self-contained on its own, even separate from the base. Even has a stylus silo too. The only thing it's missing is the SD card slot.

18. CostcoLawDegree

This is actually entirely incorrect.

First Lenovo said it would be released at the end of Jan and start of Feb. Then they announced it would be released in the Spring. And then they made a Facebook post about a release at the very start of March (prior to Spring).

That's not what I consider consistency.

Lenovo needs to get its act together.

19. Dragannia

Dragannia Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been so excited about this product I've literally lost sleep over it recently. ng through these forums had blown my balloon. You guys are great at shattering dreams!

All joking aside, I'm a bit disappointed with certain aspects.

The main thing is the retarded usb in the tablet where you can't plug in the dock without the usb. I can live without the sd but would have preferred the Ethernet. What happened to that first dock that had everything in it?

20. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Sorry guys. Too many machines going in too many directions. I guess I hit the limit on keeping track of what has what now. Embarrassing because the only thing worse than no information is misinformation. :(