ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

That was the first spec I looked for. Strange.... I hope the absence of Win7 is a typo. :(

2. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Tablet plus base = 70whr battery. My x220 has a 6-cell 63whr battery and gets about 7 hours doing basic tasks such as web browsing, emailing, writing. The Helix has a more power efficient processor. However, it is also powering a much brighter screen with a higher resolution. I don't think you will achieve lenovo's 10 hour estimate with the Helix unless you have brightness down to about 25% and you stick to basic tasks.

The yoga and x1 carbon have procs comparable to the Helix. The yoga's 54whr battery gets about 5.5 hours according to most reviews, while the carbon's 45whr gets about 5 hours.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Somewhat surprisingly it's the thinnest and lightest core-ix slate of the bunch (1.84lbs, 0.45"). Once you add the KB dock it's among the heavier choices though - as expected given the battery in the base.

4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Grrrr. This just makes things harder. The original specs had only up to 4GB max on their site. 8 is awfully tempting. It made it easier to think about getting the Surface Pro now and a 13" tablet/convertible device with stylus in the next couple years when they're released. I guess a lot of it depends on the price. Decisions decisions...

I wonder how support will be on these, especially concerning the stylus drivers. The surface pro must have awesome driver support and stylus capability if it's coming from Microsoft itself. I just worry this Lenovo will have similar stylus issues to the ativ pro. I know this is a more premium business device, I don't know how important stylus support will be for them. Or how reliable the hardware under/over clock will be considering this is the first device that's tried it of new devices at least.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  5. noxxle

Surprisingly, the Helix is even heavier than an x220/x230 with the 9-cell battery (94whr). The 9-cell provides a solid 10+ hours (12 by some accounts).

6. JoeS

At least it's still lighter than an X220t with 6-cell battery (3.99lbs vs 3.75lbs for the Helix with KB). The lesson seems to be 'fancy hinges are heavy'.

7. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

Why do you think Helix is less power efficient than X220? Let's start counting:
    1. X220 uses Sandy Bridge 35W processor while Helix sports Ivy Bridge with programmable TDP of 17W-13W-9W -- Helix wins
    2. Helix runs Win8 that is more power efficient to Win7, especially with Metro Apps Microsoft explains Windows 8's improved power efficiency - TechSpot -- Helix wins
    3. in laptop mode Helix has a slightly stronger battery than X220 6 cell but weights similarly -- Helix wins
    4. both X220 and Helix sports IPS screens -- nobody wins

For me, Helix is at least comparable to X220 if not better :cool:

...and about comparison to X1 Carbon: in tablet mode Helix has only 9W vs 17W CPU in X1C but in laptop mode when TDPs are comparable Helix has 70Wh battery! Helix wins, isn't it?

8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10 hours seems perfectly reasonable considering the under-clocked CPU. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it lasted even longer.

9. noxxle

My x220 sandy bridge hovers around 7W when on battery. Goes up a bit when I open programs or do other cpu intensive stuff. The only time it is at 35W is plugged in, gaming.

The lower TDP procs are probably hovering around 6W and similarly go up slightly when web browsing, etc. Many of the newer laptops/tablets have to deal with more power hungry screens than my x220 as well. Again, my point with the X1 Carbon and Yoga is that despite their lower TDP, battery life wasn't much better.

Yes, Helix will get better battery life than an x220 with a 6-cell. But with the 9-cell? No way.

*edit*

Just to clarify, I'm not criticizing the Helix in the sense that I believe it will have terrible battery life or that I recommend buying an x230 instead. I'm very interested in the Helix myself. Its battery life should be more than enough for my purposes. Still, I remain skeptical of Lenovo's claims. They tend to greatly overestimate battery life. Lenovo's website lists 8.2 hours for the x1 carbon. Yet, virtually every reviewer has benched 5-5.5 hours of normal, everyday use.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  10. grisjuan

grisjuan Pen Pal - Newbie

There's no ThinkLight or backlit keyboard on the Helix, right?

11. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Definitely no Thinklight but I'd love to know about whether or not it has a back lit keyboard too. My guess is no since they've left it off their other Thinkpad devices and it doesn't daubing the specs, but it would be great if it had one.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

12. deutschauto

deutschauto Pen Pal - Newbie

Details & timeline: Lenovo's webpage of the Helix says 4GB max of Ram. Their brochure says 8GB @ 1333mhz. Critics that went to CES2013 say 8GB @ 1600mhz. Which is it?? Comon people...(INCLUDING VERY MUCH LENOVO!!!) let's get our Specs Straight. Next, while I think suspense in movies is great...when it comes to specs of an upcomming product (especially when showcasing a demo), I really think it sucks and is misleading... Case in point: Microsoft's Surface Pro... Almost nobody can say which processor i5 is in it...not even microsoft... (I think people are even being prevented from mentionning which processor number is in it on purpose.. all you have to do is run a cpuid analysis). If your product is so great, there is no need in hiding and deceiving on the specs... stand by it. With that being said, I think the Helix as a product, with the specs that we know, will be fantastic. However...again.... secretive company politics say it will be released at the end of Febuary!!! It's like when my boss asks me when my report will be in and I answer: 'On the first' and he asks: 'On the first of what' and I reply: 'On the first chance I get' ... Rediculous! Comon lenovo! stop playing games and give a specific release date and stand by it. Some people are waiting for deadlines to do their purchase planning! So... in conclusion, if anyone would have some courage and honesty to shed some light on the real specs with regards to the ram & release date, then I would greatly appreciate that. Oh and BTW... I did find out that it has an ethernet port... Not on the tablet, not on the dock... but as an included USB accessory!!!

13. ahkdigital

ahkdigital Pen Pal - Newbie

Thinkpad Helix - Design & Engineering on Vimeo

HMX Media's (advertising agency) video of the Thinkpad Helix design and engineering.

The 2000+ levels of pressure sensitivity is claimed in this as well.

8 gigs of ram, 256 gig ssd, i7 processor, etc. are in product spec sheets and also mentioned around the web. The processor is mentioned in this video, not sure about the rest of it (I watched it muted both times, and the second I just skipped through it - as of writing this post).

14. snowcrash101

snowcrash101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't get it.

The relatively high priced Helix isn't aimed at the ordinary user. So why does it have a glossy/reflective screen and a 16:9 form factor?

Why can't it be like my trusty X61t which is falling apart as I type on it :D

15. ibmthink

ibmthink Pen Pal - Newbie

Gorrila Glass. ;) There is no matte version of this. All devices with Gorilla Glass are Glossy.

Because 16:9 is the todays standard and widescreen is better than 4:3. Also, Windows 8 is designed for widescreen,.

16. JoeS

Ibmthink, do you have any info on the configurations? From the service information that you linked to in the other Helix thread (Helix Service Training Course) it kind of looks like you can't get an i7 with 256GB which would seem odd. As someone suggested elsewhere they could have accidentally listed the 4GB twice, in which case the columns simply represent independently available config options.

helix-configs.jpg

17. snowcrash101

snowcrash101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, and GG can act like a mirror in certain lighting situations. Imagine presenting in an office enviroment with overhead lights - it's not going to be ideal. (While I'm not a fan of Samsung, some of their new Series 9 ultrabooks are matte, but of course not GG nor touch screen or tablet).

Doesn't it depend on how we define 'better' and for what kind of user/use.

Holding a 11.6in 16:9 in tablet-portrait view dosn't feel right for some folks. For wanting to read and ink documents in portrait, a 4:3 aspect ratio is far more suitable than 16:9 (even Apple figured that out). Consider how much an A4 document is already shrunk when viewing on a 11.6 in screen, and then it's being narrowed further by a 16:9 ratio. Again, for other types of activity 16:9 can be better. Isn't it a case that YMMV?

The problem is that a contemporary matte/4:3/touch/pen-input ultra-hybrid is impossible to find :( I'm sure there are enough users out there who want one?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  18. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

I do. The only thing 16:9 is really ideal for is watching videos in landscape mode. I watch movies .001% of the time so why have something 100% dedicated to that usage for so little time spent in that mode? Since 4:3 is no longer available in an affordable TabletPC (some Toughbooks are still 4:3 but at at a substantial cost), 16:10 is an acceptable compromise, and even that is almost gone. The 'direction' set by Microsoft in their foray into the 'consumer' market is ruining the TabletPC for those of us that like to create content instead of just consume it.Using Windows 8 to justify 16:9 is not a good argument; one has to look at usage and match the hardware to the modes of use.

I would accept a 16:10 device but would prefer 4:3.

19. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

I want one too!!

Hate glossy, hate widescreen, gah gah gah.

20. CostcoLawDegree

CostcoLawDegree Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think any of us want a tablet, that you write on, to not have gorilla glass. A normal laptop screen can function just fine without GG. A tablet is more prone to scratches and drops.

I'd love it if GG came in a no gloss version, but since I don't have that option, I'd rather have the gloss as opposed to a tablet screen which will scratch and crack more easily.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2