ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea, I guess I'm just a big guy, and don't mind using whats basically a laptop as a tablet, especially if it has the all the specs I want, and the customization to help keep it somewhat future proof (RAM upgrade, switchable bays for graphics/hard drive/etc.).

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looking at that picture of the pen, it looks identical to the original Samsung S-pen. If that ends up being the case, Samsung has a larger 'shell' that you can fit that pen in to make it more usable, for what it's worth. But then the shell is another thing to need to bring along with you (might as well just bring a regular Wacom pen) and I also agree with the sentiment that it's pointless to have the slot on the keyboard part.

3. Zeelobby

Yea, There are very few cases where the slot is on the tablet portion and is also full size. I also don't know if they'll do the shell, as that was a major release for Samsung, whereas this will be more of a niche release for Lenovo. I expect some accessories but not boatloads. That said, I do like that the Surface Pro had a solution for this giving it a magnetic holder. I don't see how else you'd really dock a fat pen in the device without having lots of wasted space.

4. arvindsond

arvindsond Pen Pal - Newbie

Once again this looks great, the size is right, the hardware looks good (and RAM can be upgraded), decent cpu, but still one main question for Digital Artists everywhere is:
    Just a couple of questions for me is (not sure if anyone knows the answer to these) but for a digital artist:

- how many levels of pressure will the pen support
    - and can we use artDock/paintDock or something similar when using software like photoshop and zbrush, because you dont want to keep accessing the keyboard you need some sort of on screen overlay

Has anyone got any more info on these issues?
    Thanks

Arvind!

5. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

- It's up in the air on the pen. Lenovo has said both 256 and 2048 so we'll have to wait and see. My best guess is it won't be 2048, IMHO.

- With regards to an Art dock that's not a Helix or even a Lenovo thing. It's my understanding from reading other forums is that there hasn't quite been enough development on that software yet to run on Win8 or to even jive well with CS6 in some circumstances. Either way I think the ArtDock topic is best left for another thread. But again, that's not a Helix thing.

Cheers!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

6. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

My best guess is that it will have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. The Ativ Smart PC Pro had the same, which I ended up returning because it kept disconnecting from the keyboard.

According to the slides linked by Bloody Nokia Adept, the tablet has a 42Wh battery and the base has a small, 28Wh one. This pretty much means that in tablet mode, there will be about 5 hours of battery life (42Wh/8W), while in docked mode, there will be the same amount from full charge ((42Wh+28Wh)/15W).

7. arvindsond

arvindsond Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah makes total sense czm2000, I was just wondering if anyone knew if artdock works on Win8 or even if the Lenovo Helix had some sort of shortcut options that would work like artdock or something similar, maybe even actual hardware buttons around the frame? Just something to overcome the shortcut issue, because its lovely having a piece of kit like the Helix, but wou;d be even better if it had the ability to overcome this, as the Helix is definitely one of the better if not best tablets out there I reckon.

Arvind

8. czm2000

Yeah, no hardware buttons around the edge, programmable or otherwise (just look at the pics for proof of that). You woukd want to roll with the Fujitsu tablet if you desire programmable hardware buttons. That's definitely got some. Top right edge.

9. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know the output voltage specs for the Helix? Not that it is a big concern...but I am intending to purchase a portable battery...and it requires 5V/1A or 5V/2.1A.

I am going to pick up the Helix unless something similar beats it out before it's release. I am going to use this with the graphics program Corel Painter 12 and ZBrush. As far as Painter is concerned...how much difference will an i7 have over an i5 ? I know I will need the 8 gb of ram but not sure how the two iCores will affect performance with this program. I need the higher res screen to fit the entire UI for Zbrush. Right now 800 pixels in height cut off the tools on the right side of the screen and those toolbars do not scroll.

Thanks for any info on this. Looking forward to the release of this hybrid.

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Great info, mate! I wonder if there will be a way to enforce the lowest TDP of 9W on all modes. That would make possible to extend battery-life to, perhaps, 13-15 hours with the keyboard-dock. By the way, while reading the PDF, I made a discovery that made me all warm and fuzzy inside.... Fujitsu and Lenovo fighting for my money! :)

[​IMG]

11. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

Same thoughts here! I believe there will be a number of TDP specific power plans in ThinkVantage Power Manager... And what is more important is that Lenovo is saying about TDP and not this brand new weirdness named "SDP" -- Anand wrote some interesting words about that AnandTech - Intel Brings Core Down to 7W, Introduces a New Power Rating to Get There: Y-Series SKUs Demystified

Thank you! :hi2:

You know, that's interesting that nobody was searching through the Lenovo site for Helix-related info and it was me back in December who found Helix User Manual & Specs around 2 weeks before the announcement http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/53433-thinkpad-helix-looks-promising-11.html#post303659 and one of few who initially saw this hottie at Lenovo IL site back in October http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/53433-thinkpad-helix-looks-promising-5.html#post295479 -- Lenovo's website is a great source for preliminary product leaks :D

12. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

For those who know how to find it. :) Every time I went there I found nothing.

13. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know what is the weight of the helix slate-only? Is it comparable to the Surface Pro?

14. czm2000

1.87lbs

15. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome device, looks very promising indeed! BUT, what's about its key features? The S-pen doesn't have the best reputation as far as I know. So it won't be writing like with a normal Wacom or even a 3rd gen N-Trig stylus, will it?

16. Zeelobby

I think most of the changes done to the S-Pen are software related though, such as hovering, etc. At it's heart it's still a Wacom digitizer and wacom pen. I don't think the issue is the hardware but the way they implemented the software. That said, I see Lenovo sticking pretty close to pure Wacom functionality. Now the pen is still going to be small. If I get this device I will most likely buy an additional pen or maybe a pen enclosure, if they provide them like Samsung did.

17. grisjuan

grisjuan Pen Pal - Newbie

18. grisjuan

grisjuan Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like my first attempt at a comment got caught in moderation. I'll try again without adding a link, maybe that will get through...sorry if this ends up as a double post.

The Helix specs are now up on the US Lenovo site, 8GB of ram is an option.

19. czm2000

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  20. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Sorta lacking in the port department but I like how the smallest SSD is 128 GB. I do not see a Win 7 option either. One question, however, why bother building and certifying a 1.7 and a 1.8 GHz CPU?