ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

As much as I like the total package, I'd really like both components to be some 30 percent lighter, have the option to snap on something like an MS touch cover for on the go, and have a 15degree inclined desktop dock so I can use it as writing pad while docked. Although maybe I'm designing 'Homer's car'..

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I agree. While not the end of the world, I really wish it came with one. I guess my approach would be to buy the 64Gb model, then upgraded it with a cheap 256Gb drive from NewEgg. I pray the lack of an SD Card slot will be the only problem on the Helix. I'm counting on it being able to run Win7! The Fujitsu Q702 looks great too, but unfortunately it doesn't have a silo....

3. ALFware

ALFware Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey look at this video, there is a silo on the Q702 but on the keyboard.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Yeah, but that tiny pen is cr*p, e-schreiber. What's the point of a silo if that's what it's holding? I doubt you'll ever use that pen, but instead will have to carry a loose one with you all the time anyways. Did you see the photo I uploaded on the last page? It makes me think the 702 ain't so bad. Atleast it has a full sized pen and a silo in the base, so you'll have one all the time. I'll take that as a preference over the silo in the tablet, if this is the sort of pen we're gonna get. :(

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  5. e-schreiber

I would have to handle that Pen to know if its size and thinness would bother me. I did see the picture when you posted and it did look tiny. But I like small keyboards like the one on the TC-1100, so there's a chance I'd be fine with the Helix's Pen. I haven't discarded the possibility of getting the Q702 yet. I'm 70% inclined to get the Helix and 30% to get the Q702.

6. FC1032

FC1032 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, I've been lurking long enough.

Since my Toshiba m750 is aging (actually kinda dying), it's time I looked for a replacement. I had my eyes set on either the Ativ smart pc pro, duo 11 and now this...

Duo looks nice and is pretty well priced where I am right now i5 version will cost me 1220 AUD, but I have yet to see what the keyboard is like and how sturdy (or not sturdy) the hinge is... I also can't get over how I will scroll on that touch point thing... (though to be fair, I end up having a mouse with me anyway)

Ativ pro would be better than Duo: better battery, (it should have) a better keyboard with touchpad... but it's expensive when comparing the same i5 model $1455 AUD and comparatively heavier/thicker with the dock :( Overall, I think I'd be happier getting the duo for less $$$ and living with those disadvantages.

Helix looks like THE one to have, but I'm so confused to the pricing and configs: I've been reading "From $1499" and "up to i7 CPU"... So does this mean that the i5 (i3?) CPU options will still start at 1499 or is 1499 for the i7 version? Can someone clarify please? $1499 for an i7 would be well priced compared to current offers.

Any owners of the duo or ativ want to say what they think about this?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

$1499 is the MSRP price for the base model, the real price is probably lower than that with coupons.

It's not clear whether the RAM and SSD are user upgradable on the helix.

8. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

RAM is soldered. SSD is not soldered but would be difficult to upgrade. The comment was to "choose your configuration carefully considering future requirements".

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

9. e-schreiber

I know, but the silo should be in the component that interacts with the Pen....that is, the slate, not the keyboard.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yea ... I think the placement in the base is a*s backwards. If you take the tablet while on the go, how many times are you going to leave the pen behind?

11. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I agree completely. But it having the silo in the tablet gives me a rinkadink pen like the one in the photo or on the Samsung slates, I'll take a silo in the base and get a real pen. Atleast it'll have a home, and will come with you anywhere you take the laptop.

12. e-schreiber

Every new model announced forces us to deal with different demons. The Q702 lacks a silo on the slate, and its digitizer is N-trig (hated by many), but its Pen is adult-size and the slate comes with an SD Card slot. The Helix has a silo on the slate and uses Wacom tech, but it's Pen is baby-size and there's no SD Card slot.... Neither is 16:10.

WTF. No free lunch! :D

13. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly. At this point I may just have to go with the surface pro as a temporary device. I just can't justify spending $1,500+ on a device and still having to compromise. Yet I'd spend upwards of $2000 if it meant I got what I wanted. Until my device is available, surface seems like a good supported temporary stopgap at only $900.

Just for giggles my dream device would have:
    Haswell i7
    Dedicated GPU
    Wacom Digitizer (1024 pressure) with silo
    13" 1080 19:10 IPS display
    8+ GB RAM (or user upgrade)
    Replaceable battery
    256+ GB SSD
    Convertible/docking form factor.

Swappable dock would be cool and adequate usb 3 and display out ports. Sadly I think it may be a year or two til something like this exists, so the pro will hold me over til then. But I'd be willing to pay $2500+ for such a device.

14. pacca

pacca Pen Pal - Newbie

T902?

Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 con Tapatalk 2

15. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Point?

That's in a different class.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

16. pacca

pacca Pen Pal - Newbie

Zeelobby said he would spend 2500+ for i7, 13" 8gb 256gb ssd wacom etc... T902 seems to have most features he cites.. Why different class? Because you can't take the keyboard out?

17. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ahhh, I see. Good point :) the X220t woukd also fit the bill then.

Yes, that's exactly why it's in a different class. I've owned a couple of the twist and folds (x200t & x220t) and a Tablet PC (Series 7 Slate) and a hybrid mix (Duo 11) and I'd say each style is in a different class...with some overlap of course. But there's always overlap :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

18. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Honestly, that does come the closest, and I have been looking at it for a while. I guess I'm just hoping that like the T901, they come out with a version with dedicated GPU. 1080 resolution would be really nice as well. If they do that, then I will definitely be in :D.

19. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

20. pacca

pacca Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wait ;-) It could fit my budget and I find it very nice... My fear is that it's not going to serve as a tablet, rather as replacement for a traditional notebook - too thick and heavy, and no detachable keyboard. Again... I don't want to come to compromise if i spend more than 1500€