ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Congratulations for the great reviews all these years. I have linked to some of them in many posts.

2. Taikero

Taikero Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Lisa. Your content is among the best out there. The SD slot is nice to see.

I'm very excited for this device. It really does seem to make fewer compromises than most hybrid devices. In particular, I love that the stand not only powers the slate, but also charges it. I also like the larger trackpad design with the integrated buttons. Its pricey, but it looks like an excellent business companion. This will probably be my next computer.

I prefer this over the Surface Pro at this point because of the 1" of additional screen size and additional stability when using it in your lap (useful while using in a vehicle). The extra battery, pencil nib navigator, and larger trackpad are welcome, too. Lenovo's website is advertising 2 lbs. without the keyboard; Microsoft is advertising 2 lbs on the Surface Pro, so it seems they're comparable in portability.

I am eager to see the price differences. The Surface Pro would require an additional TypeCover purchase to be comparable. I expect that would bring the base model of the helix somewhat closer in price to the Surface (though the Helix seems undoubtedly more expensive still), however apparently having the option to double the storage and RAM. We'll see!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  3. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok so its finally starting to look better and better, from this video the reviewer also says he sees an SD card slot. But its also dark and i have a feeling its really not an sd slot as it isnt labeled. In earlier user manual pics they label both of the matching ports to have windows info tags or something along those lines. But i have to admit im going to hope for the best, just really not expecting it. Lenovo ThinkPad Helix Hands-on at CES - YouTube

Here you can see a better pic of the bottom, and there are two ports that look the same, two SD card slots? highly doubtful.
    http://cdn.pocket-lint.com/images/J...lix-laptop-tablet-pictures-and-hands-on-3.jpg

Now for the good news, the users on this forum are saying it will actually be the lower powered ivybridge and it will start at 1399$ if these things are true, and it does in fact have an sd slot im in. But like everyone else, we will just wait and see. and DIG for info...
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-CES-2013/I-ve-held-a-Helix-Pictures-inside/td-p/981369/page/2

4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you so much for chiming in. Big weight off my shoulders. I love the reviews by the way. Very info filled.

5. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

There's no SD slot. I've held it and scrutinized every inch.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

6. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well. I guess I just have to wait til I have one in my hands. Haha

7. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

Someone, somewhere asked me about the square corners, so I made sure to look at them when I was in the AquaKnox Lounge a little while ago. They are not sharp, but they are square. I don't think they would bother me as they're coated with the same coating as the rest of the tablet.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

8. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Pen Pal - Newbie

He said it was an SD card slot. Did I double-check him? I admit I didn't.

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

So I guess that settles it. The SD slot will be missed. :(

That's good news to me since I don't need a lot of power.

From what I could understand from the AnandTech article about this new Ivy Bridge Y, Intel achieved a lower TDP by allowing the CPU to be slowed down by the OEM. I guess that means the Helix's processor will operate on 7 or 10 watts most of the time, but will be allowed to run at its standard 13 or 17 watts TDP when the user needs it. So that talk about the fans on the keyboard-dock being there to allow over-clock was, perhaps, just "marketing speech". I mean, it appears that the Helix's CPU is not over-clockable at all. Much on the contrary, it is under-clockable! And the fans are there for the moments when the CPU is running on its normal clock... Either way is fine with me, I run my TM2-i5 on Power saver all the time.

So how much battery-life can be reached by the slate alone when equipped with the i3 CPU and operating on 7 watts TDP? It cannot be that meager 5 hours estimate i heard yesterday from the Lenovo rep....

10. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone notice that the Lenovo website lists the Helix's availability as "Spring 2013". What happened to the February launch? Ugh, typical Lenovo...

11. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Scribbler - Standard Member

I was thinking the same thing, if Lenovo decided to go with the new Ivy Bridge processors. But then it probably depends on the size of the battery itself. 5 hours on a 40Whr or so battery would still be good for an Intel ULV, but only possible at consistently low power consumption.

12. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

I'm not sure this thing is using 7W or even 10W processors - there is 17W Ivy Bridge.

At least, if you listen carefully this video Lenovo Unboxed: ThinkPad Helix - YouTube at 5:33 (I've linked to the beginning of the phrase) then you can hear Kevin Beck saying that Helix sports ULV 17W processor that works at 13W in tablet mode. Obviously, it works at 17W in laptop mode.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  13. kvoram

kvoram Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know anything about the possibility of matte display option?

14. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Best guess is there won't be. My advice would be to go with a matte screen protector I use 1 for my sony vaio Duo 11 and it works great, plus it's protecting the screen and it makes the stylus use more realistic.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

15. kvoram

kvoram Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you elaborate a bit on that? Which screen protector are you using? Would be nice to know how yours affects the stylus "gliding characteristics" and the screen brightness, viewing angle and clarity. Does that screen protector have a "sparkling" effect?

16. czm2000

Sure. I'm using a Sony brand so I don't think that would help in this situation since I'm pretty sure they won't make them for Lenovo ;-) . It is anti glare which I really like. Just comparing the glass where it's cut out for the camera and ambient light sensor when there's bright light or its sunny shows just how well the anti glare works. Really quite remarkable. My fear with a screen protector and stylus experience is always that it will ruin it. Make the stylus stick or otherwise inhibit it. But that's not the case at all. I've been using it for several months and it's better. Compared to my Series 7 Slate (which felt like skating on glass, not that good) with the screen protector it feels closer to writing on a fresh sheet of paper. It's the first time I've used a screen protector on a tablet, and it's only because it came with my Duo 11. But now having tried it, it's the only way to go and I will always get one, as long as I can find one similar to this. Not to protect the screen, as strange as that may sound, but because it just makes the stylus experience so much more realistic and enjoyable. The viewing angles are unaffected. If anything they're clearer, and I don't see any sparkle. I once had one like that for one of my smart phones (I think it was my Touch Pro 2) and the sparkle was terrible.

One final note. I've used the new Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro quite extensively and it has a really great stylus feel. This is because they put just a tiny bit of hardened rubber at the tip and so it has a much more natural resistance similar to a real pen. Feels really great. If they did something similar to that with the Helix stylus, I'm thinking that may have a negative impact in the experience with a screen protector, at least if the screen protector has a matte finish like I'm talking about. I'm speculating, but I imagine it could have more of a sticky feel than smooth. Just food for thought.

Hope that helps.

17. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Check out the size of the pen..... what a bummer.

94|000025dc0|26ed_lenovo-helix-8.jpg

I was hoping that atleast Lenovo was going to focus on business users who want a pen that can really get stuff done. This tiny thing is no better than the puny stuff you get in the Samsung tablets that's just there "for emergencies." Seems like it's really only brands like Fujitsu or Motion that still believe in a full sized pen. I don't understand this, as 1) it's not difficult to squeeze one in, and 2) it's infinitely more ergonomic to write with. Even the difference between something like the pen in the Galaxy Note 1 (puny and round, hard to find a button) versus the pen in the GN 2 (triangular, a bit thicker, MUCH nicer in the hand) is a big difference.

I hope I'm wrong, but if not, these tiny pens suck to write and draw with. :( That's something that the Surface is getting right-- though, on that front, I wish it had a proper silo.

BTW, re: the Thinkpad pen, is there any difference in the new Lenovo Atom slate? It looks bigger than this in it's pics.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  18. czm2000

I'm not surprised at all at the size I expected a small 1 it couldn't even fit in micro SD card slot I definitely wasn't expecting a full sized stylus I keep a full size stylus at my desk for the "heavy lifting" so I'm not worried about it.

19. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Ah. My problem is I work in the field.

20. czm2000

Yeah, that would be annoying then. I'm just still tweaked this thing is a "no compromise" tablet and it doesn't have a card reader. Seriously bummed. I guess there will be various things that let people down. What can ya do.