ThinkPad Helix looks promising

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Oct 21, 2012.

1. kvoram

kvoram Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I wouldn't have been a fan of a micro SD slot anyway, since I am only going to use regular SD cards in my camera. But I think not including a regular SD slot in the keyboard dock was merely a design decision to make the combo as slim as possible. I would have expexted that for consumer-oriented deevices but not for a 'Thinkpad' product.

2. mark.kemp

mark.kemp Pen Pal - Newbie

No kidding, my X220T is looking blooming marvelous :)

3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because now that higher levels are possible, why include anything less on a premium, expensive high end device. Kind of like the SD card slot. When I'm paying 1800+ I expect it to be able to do everything and don't require it to look pretty or be the thinnest possible. Especially for a Lenovo. But I guess Apple has brainwashed everyone.

4. Zeelobby

CES2013: First look at Lenovo's ThinkPad Helix convertible notebook - YouTube

So some interesting stuff. One of the first CES vids where you can clearly hear everything she says. Looks like up to 256 GB storage option, which puts it a head of most current convertibles. Also, does sound like the dock actually charges the tablet when connected. Not just sits there. So nice backup battery when traveling from one meeting to the next. I can only imagine the second iteration with Haswell being 10x better. Decisions decisions :/.

5. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the thing that toasts my oats the most is, in every video I watch I keep hearing the Lenovo reps say that they wanted to build a "no compromise" device and this device has "no compromises" when obviously it does have compromises. I get needing to have more room for ventilation but they can't tell me they couldn't fit a card reader on this thing anywhere. They squeezed one into the Tablet 2 for goodness sake...well, anyway...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

But no one actually has more levels that's using Wacom. You're complaining about a pipe dream not being true. Did anyone ever say it was going to be any different than any other premiere pen-abled Wacom tablet pc product? The S-pen isn't really any better, despite its advertised 1024-- people havent been flipping out over the "sensitivity" of the pen. So, the Helix having Wacom and having 256 levels of pressure is right about what anyone should expect. The only "tablet pc" product that really has more levels is the Macbook tablet pc.

Look, I think the Helix not having Micro SD is something to complain about. But this stuff about pressure levels is just weird to me.

I would also have to say that I'd just __wait__, and see what's actually released when we start complaining. The sky isn't falling yet guys-- we just don't know exactly how this product is going to turn out. Just read the last few pages-- first it's Wacom then it's not, then it is again, first its SD card then Micro SD, then nothing, first it's Haswell then it's not, first its 4 gb max (much complainging ensues) then it's 8 gb ram (yeah!), then its 4 gb ram again (boo!).

I mean, we don't know yet. Complain angrily when the device is released and we see what it's shortcomings are.

7. czm2000

LOL, so true! Wise words Steve B :)

8. michal_n

michal_n Pen Pal - Newbie

it looks great. just what I would be happy with but it will come no sooner then in 4 months? which means june probably with ask the pre order delays... and I need something sooner then that... looks like I will need to get something now and then sell to get this... I am tired of waiting for those new realises.... there is always something better ahead ;)

michal

Wysyane z mojego GT-I9100 za pomoc Tapatalk 2

9. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

LOL...almost as much drama than a Kardashian divorce!

10. Zeelobby

At least for me, the source of my complaints are two fold. A, Frustration that none of the initial wave of W8 devices had half of what I was looking for. And B, I'm just plain excited to find my dream device, even though it may be months off. Regardless I enjoy talking over these points rather than just waiting, it keeps my hopes alive. So sorry if I seemed whiny, that's just my excitement leading to impatience... I'll sit quietly until I hear something new.

11. pacca

pacca Pen Pal - Newbie

We DO know. Helix is now on lenovo website

Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 con Tapatalk 2

12. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Eh, I believe it all when someone buys it. ;). Lots of time to still change things for the better or f*ck things up irrevocably, ya know? Remember when the Surface Pro was positively Wacom, there was "proof", then it wasn't, and now it is again. And that was all based on reputable sources with proof too. As before, when someone orders it, then we'll know.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  13. Zeelobby

14. czm2000

I'd love to believe her on the SD card slot (that would be even better than Micro SD) but I think she just miss spoke. I'm inclined to believe the specs sheet on Lenovo.com which is pretty clear about it not having one. She also says the Wacom pen has 2,000 levels of pressure sensitivity and that's just not going to be the case. At most it would be 1,024 and it probably won't even be that and more likely will be 256.

But hey, like Steve B says, I'll beleive it once they start taking orders.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

15. Zeelobby

Yea. I noticed that too. Normally she's pretty good about her specs. Honestly her reviews are the most unbiased I've run across and she's usually pretty accurate but it does seem like her specs were pulled from a mix of rumors and old images.

16. czm2000

Yeah, totally agree. Lisa's one of my favorite reviewers. She's just a little mixed up on this one. Probably some long hours, too many tech specs floating around in her brain, and like you said, her memory is pulling previously rumored details. I forgive her :)

17. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Pen Pal - Newbie

This is "she" here (Lisa from MobileTechReview) and the odd 2,000 levels of pressure sensitivity came from the Lenovo product managers and they were pretty insistent when I said "really?". Lenovo's website sometimes isn't correct about specs on pre-release products but their product folks usually know their stuff.

18. czm2000

Whoa! Sweet. I can't believe you chimed in!

Well that's very encouraging to hear. I still wont hold my breathe until it comes out, but that's good to know.

Thanks for taking time out to respond, and thanks for the awesome reviews!

19. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, thank you for the awesome review. Did the Lenovo product managers say any more about the sd slot?

20. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah i saw a few videos with one of the reps saying it had a pressure level of 2048 and other videos of another rep saying 256 which seems more likely but im guess it will be 1024. Also there is no SD card slot, it looks like two sd card slots on the bottom but they are actually part of the dock locking mechanism. Still have my fingers crossed with this one. If it has 8gb ram, at least 1024 levels of pressure and an sd or micro sd slot im going to get it for sure.