ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since these are user submitted numbers, I can only surmise that it's user error, such as running something else in the background. Look at this list of results for T902. Look at that gap between Stoneseeker's and that one idiot second from bottom:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=T902

5Y70 should trounce 5Y10a in every scenario otherwise Intel really F'd up royally.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    Bloody Nokia Adept likes this.
  2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

HP has made their sole goal in life to destroy their own brand. Also, they have, for a whole decade, looked down at the detachable form-factor. Going as far as killing the legendary TC-1100, built by Compaq. So, as much as I profess my belief in meritocracy, I now tend to look at HP with the same amount of disdain as they looked at detachables for the last 10 years.

Coincidentally (or perhaps, unconsciously) I have completely missed the news about the new x2! I only heard about it now that you mentioned it. Does it have variable angles? How much for the 128/4 GB model?

3. Shogmaster

IMO, the only real difference between X2 Pro and Helix 2 is that X2 Pro's larger form factor allows for larger heatsink, and should allow for better real world performance than Helix 2.

4. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

You've made my day! OK, now I see your point! Thanks for such a great example

5. The Bestopapaman

The Bestopapaman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hy everyboy.

Two questions:

Are you sure that the pro keybord will have backlit?
    And what about graphic system: actual spec sheet speak about HD 4000.
    Would'nt it be HD 5300?

Thanx and regards fron France :)

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Helix 2:
    - Tablet Dock (the 'fifth mode' as it is being called - desktop replacement)
    - Quickshot Cover

Unfortunately, it looks neutered compared to the Helix 1 for performance but as everyone is aware, Helix 1 can get hot when you have the pedal to the metal but at least it will go pedal to the metal.

Overall I like the Helix 1. My Helix has impressed me with its battery life and capability. Mine is not suffering from heatstroke so I think it has been 'fixed' since the early days. The case gets warm when doing intense things where the Surface Pro 3 throttles to keep the case from getting warm (perception must be everything) but I have done nothing to get it so hot that I cannot hold it like the early reports after launch.

The dedicated trackpad buttons would be familiar because my '90's era Thinkpad laptops all had them (uh, I still have two of them...the kids use them for homework). I did a lot of typing on those old Thinkpad laptops over the years (my first was a 510C, and I really like the 701 with the butterfly keyboard but never bought one...they were $3,000!). However, if you are not looking at the keyboard when using the Helix 1 you do not even notice the buttons are not there; the lack of dedicated buttons was an actual improvement because it made the pad bigger for scrolling and the like. The integrated buttons are actually fine. Typing on the Helix 1 keyboard, and I bet the Helix 2 as well, is like coming home after a long absence; it is very comfy.

My synopsis is that this will be a winner, especially at the new price. Enough to make me ditch the Helix 1 and buy one? Not yet; i am all set now with the Helix 1 but if I go shopping again it may be on the list. I would like to see the performance figures first.

However, with all that said, if the Helix 2 was 16:10 my Helix 1 would be going off to one of my college kids tomorrow!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Don't forget like the ThinkPad Yoga Wacom and 1080p display is optional.

8. Shogmaster

Fair point. Also Hp is hella more expensive AFAICT, but I was looking at 8GB RAM and such.

9. Tim Q

Tim Q Pen Pal - Newbie

Just some of my own ramblings - but the Helix and other detachables have always been intriguing devices to me given the possibilities with them.

If they took a leaf out of Asus's Transformer Book Trio - have a "base" tablet with an Atom or Core M etc., and then your choice of dock given your needs.

Want portability = Thin "basic" keyboard dock
    Want long battery life and a great typing experience = "Pro" keyboard dock

More importantly...

Want power = a sort of "Power" keyboard dock with a Core i series CPU, plus maybe a mobile GeForce or Quadro GPU and extra storage.
    (If they could play around with Thunderbolt or DockPort when it comes out, could it be possible? Hell, MSI's GS30 Shadow is playing around with this idea of a dock with a desktop grade GPU)

Everyone's got a choice and they're happy.

Of course, it's probably way more complex to actually do it for real, not to mention the cost of R&D, but damn, that would be sweet. Shame it'll probably never happen.

10. Shogmaster

Dude, at least read couple of pages before you post. Those bench links are from THIS THREAD, like one page ago.

Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.