ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice!
    Do you know if the iWork11 Stylus has the same? I'm intrigued by the dual-boot configuration.

2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There is no dual boot configuration, he bootet a remixOS from usb and it isn't more then a barely running Android.
    Powermanagement is horrible and some things are not working.
    And as the Stylus is the same as for the I7 Book, it is the same as the iWork 11.
    http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-accessories/pp_589639.html

3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry if I was unclear. The iWork 11Stylus is available in a dual boot configuration. It looks to be a cherry trail version of the i7 Stylus/iBook.
    http://www.banggood.com/Cube-Iwork1...-Inch-Dual-OS-Tablet-p-1056468.html?rmmds=buy

4. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Recently bought a Thinkpad Helix 2, and battery drain is terrible. On average, it's using 10+ W/hr, but reviews say it should be 2-6W/hr. Even with the pro dock, I'm barely getting 6+ hr of usability.

Is anyone experiencing this with Windows 10? I've not tried Windows 8, so I'm wondering if it's some driver issue. I ran Lenovo utilities, all drivers installed.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Congrats! :) I haven't heard anything about Win10 being especially power hungry. Is it done with all the initial indexing and updating? Just to clarify, when you say 10 W/hr you mean 10W? It seems like the Core-m Haswell could do 4.5W, but the screen could add quite a bit to that.

6. Rommie2k6

Yes, notebookcheck gave a review with 6.5hrs for the helix without the pro dock. The tablet has a 36Wh battery, so 6hr of usage drains it at 6W/hr. I'm draining almost 2X as much at 10W/hr. That number is way tooo high, something is drawing more power than it should.

No, this is just regular surfing after all the updating and stuff has been completed.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I take it you have checked the task manager for active processes? And have you checked the battery capacity and actual power draw, or are you inferring power draw from the battery life? Something like batterybar will tell you capacity and current draw (averaged over the past minute or so). As an example, below is what I get when I hover over the batterybar indicator. It shows 16W draw at the moment (pretty high, because Windows Search is running at 16% CPU for some reason..) and it shows the actual battery capacity. That way you can make a better estimate of what to expect.

upload_2018-12-17_7-41-34.png

8. Rommie2k6

Yes, I'm using battery bar and I'm draining on average 8000 to 10,000 mW... that's too high. I know my equivalent spec-ed Dell system draws 4000 to 6000 mW. Does anyone have good material on what drivers to reinstall and in what sequence to do that for Win10 clean installation?

FYI this is with clean installation with only lenovo drivers installed. I also manually installed all the drivers that look power related and I don't see an improvement. At 8000-1000 mW drain and I'm only getting 6-7 hours with TWO BATTERIES on the slate and the dock. Reviews state I should be getting 6 hours on ONE battery (just the slate). And yes, my dock has a battery.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  9. Rommie2k6

Ok, on Windows 10 (all drivers installed and updated), my idle drain is 5500mW, and if I have a chrome window playing youtube it goes to 8500mW.
    On Windows 8 (all drivers installed and updated), my idle drain is 4500mW, and if I have a chrome window playing youtube it goes to 7000mW

That means on a combined 54mWh battery in both slate and dock, on W8 I could get 7.5-12hrs. Is the battery drain matching other user's experience?

In comparison, my Dell Venue Pro idle drain is about 3500mW and with chrome youtube I it's 6000mW. I'm guessing the Thinkpad Helix 2 has a higher configured SDP that runs near 6W instead of a 4.5W SDP. Is there any ability to configure the SDP? I also realized that my Helix doesn't go below 800MHz clock speed, but the CPU supports 600MHz clock speed...