ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone done this?:

- Be taking notes in onenote
    - Quickly take a picture with rear camera of blackboard/whiteboard and have it go directly into onenote without having to find the file, copy it, etc

I'm a student

The rear camera seems to be the only advantage for notetaking for TP helix 2 vs the TP yoga

2. pion2099

pion2099 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just tried this in class 20 seconds ago for you. First, it depends on your onenote, apparently - some version lets you do this natively. Mine does not.

That said, it was pretty simple - start menu, camera, snap picture, then just copy/paste it into onenote from my pictures (or wherever). Took maybe 5 seconds, and I was unprepared to do so, and have never used the camera on this thing before.

3. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Only the "metro" or app store lets you do this

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

4. rirawin

rirawin Scribbler - Standard Member

everyone still happy with the helix 2 or regret buying it?.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was never a fan. It's very overpriced given its performance and features vs. Core M tablets released in recent months. Mine also has very bad battery drain even when off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rirawin

I got one coming through for an excellent price for a top line model, beats even the recent released tablets with core m money wise for what I got. My only gripe is the 16:9 ratio, I had a Companion and was never a huge fan of that in portrait mode and I can easily see the same thing happening. However, this is tempered with the fact I did get a bargain

surfaceproartist likes this.
  7. rirawin

It arrive!!

I'm in love at the moment, I just snagged a top end model with all the 4G, Pro keyboard, stylus max memory and processor for an insane price. Plus its EMR!!!

I had a thinkpad yoga 12, and while I did like it I just wasn't comfortable having the keyboard sit on the desk where it could pick up dust, etc. The Helix solves that issue with being detachable, the only gripe is the 16:9 aspect ratio however, even in portrait mode its wider than my 10.1 2014 Note for drawing so it shouldn't make a huge difference. Plus I was hoping I could lay the tablet and keyboard completely flat, but it seems you can't do that.

At the moment battery life is fantastic, drawing is great, the m processor is handling my 300dpi photoshop files with no issues at all. Plus its silent, which is freaking cool so no more fan noise.

Mi An and kvoram like this.
  8. norazi

norazi Pen Pal - Newbie

Just picked up a refurb for $499, its the 5Y10/4gb/128gb unit with the Pro keyboard. So far this thing has far exceeded my expectations coming from an Asus Vivotab Note 8. I prefer something in the 8-10" range but $500 for a Dell 5855 or HP 608 with an atom cpu and emmc in this day and age? no thanks!

I think I actually prefer the 16:9/10? aspect ratio when in portrait mode. I can view an entire webpage with no scrolling... with the 4:3 and 3:2 ratios, I dont think there is enough of a difference between landscape and portrait for there to be a point to even swap.

Only thing I would change is allowing the hinge to open up a smidge more and also redistributing the weight of the batteries in the pro keyboard to the front so its more stable in clamshell mode. Oh and a dedicated stylus silo would be nice. Very happy with the performance of the 5Y10, it seems snappier than the 5Y71 in my wifes Macbook im guessing due to thermal throttling.

9. Mi An

Mi An Pen Pal - Newbie

I snagged a second ultrabook pro (yes, really the pro, hinged, battery packing backlit) keyboard on ebay for $30... and though it does have a small crack on one corner it is generally in very good condition and works perfectly :vbeek: actually it holds my helix 2 more firmly than my first board (my original flexes/creaks a little at the point of docking when I close it or adjust the angle).

My Helix has always had a hissing noise when power is passing from the keyboard to the tablet, either because it's plugged in from the keyboard plug or running off the keyboard's battery. Same for both my pro keyboards. I plug it in from the tablet port or the keyboard battery runs out and the noise goes away. That's handy to know if you're near an outlet, but less useful on the go. The noise isn't noticeable if there's other background noise, but when everything else is quiet it annoys. Anyone else deal with and/or fix this?

10. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does the helix 2 use the same charger as the thinkpad yoga gen1/ t550 (which both use the same charger)?