ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I like my Helix 1 and, in fact, I am using mine right now. I do not have all the issues that seemed to plague the early adopters. I liked mine so much I bought another for my son who has been using his away at college for probably 2 years now and still loves it.

Other than that I did not read that this comes with the keyboard. You may want to check on that. That's it!

HJK likes this.
  3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice catch! I took the kb dock for granted b/c the picture shows it (or, actually, multiple pictures show it, from several angles), and I was under the impression that the gen. 1 generally had the kb dock as a standard part of the package. If it's not included, that might explain the price. Given the ridiculous price of the kb dock, that will price this one out for me. Too bad.

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

l love mine too!

6. pion2099

pion2099 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey folks, I'm a Helix 1 user and after 3 years of abuse, I just had this thing fixed up at the depot and now it's running better than new. Even so, I'm agonizing over buying a helix 2 - the lighter weight, the no fan, and the new processor is seriously calling to me, and I have some money budgeted for a replacement. There's so many models, and the one I was eyeballing is the 20CG0036US - I want the 256 ssd and 8gb ram, and the pro keyboard for extra battery and viewing angles, and LTE option is nice.

Anyway, now I'm running into the Miix 700 and the x1 tablet and I'm wondering whether the processors are that much better? My use is currently school and work at a law firm so I may find myself going to court or some client's house, or on some overstuffed low couch at the library, trying to make sense of 10 documents and comparing cases on lexis and westlaw, so power and comfort are sort of necessary.

Being able to convert it is handy to read on the subway, and to use as a notepad whenever I'm called into the boss's office and given 17 different tasks which I can keep better organized in OneNote than a legal pad, and being able to switch simply is a godsend.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me an opinion or their thoughts about the x1 tablet and miix 700 compared to the helix 2 or if there's some other contender like the HP Pavilion x2 Asus Transformer Book Chi T300 (although I love the helix's detach button as I can detach it without having to take it out of my bag and open it on a crowded subway).

Thanks.

7. dceggert

@pion2099 - I cannot help you out with a choice between the Helix 2, Thinkpad X1 Tablet, or the Miix 700 but I just put one foot onto another device after doing a lot of reading and investigating....

I have used my Helix 1 (i7 with 256 GB and 8 GB of RAM) for a while as my 'heavy lifting device' when my Surface 3 (my daily note taker) could not keep up. I used the Helix for video editing, CAD, and Visio documents. I started looking when an update caused unwanted performance with my Surface 3. At the same time I was hoping to go to one machine to replace both.

I settled on the HP Elite X2 1012 with the m5, 8 GB, and 256 GB SSD. I was hoping to go to one machine and replace the daily use of the S3 AND the heavy lifting of the i7 Helix. I was concerned with all the banter on the net about how terrible the m5 is compared to even an i3 CPU (somehow an i7 is not even enough for some people). So here is what I have found....

The m5 is fine and unless one plans to play computationally demanding games it will handle just about everything. It is faster than the S3 at just about everything so far (even just opening OneNote) and in my usage case the i7 Helix poses no apparent advantage. There is also no fan and about as much heat as the Atom in the S3!

I get about 10 hours of real work battery life (if the estimate on the taskbar is to be believed) which exceeds my S3. I leave work after making notes and creating OneNote files all day with about 1/2 charge left. That to me is perfect.

File transfers are very fast. Video editing is just as fast as the i7 Helix although I have not yet tried a DVD encoding session.

I have no doubt that one of the m5 or m7 devices will take care of business although I must say I was surprised that the benchmarks for the m7 were not much better than the m5. I am not sure if that is the case with all the m7 machines or not but I saw no value in buying the m7 for $200 more for an almost negligible bump in the benchmark numbers. It is not like comparing an i5 to an i7.

The biggest decision I had to make, however, price wise (and you will have this same decision to make with the Helix 2 or the X1 Tablet) was that for the same $'s the Surface Book is sitting there smiling at you. The SB is a more modern Helix that can even be had with a dedicated GPU. I walked away though for 2 reasons....1) no ports on the tablet part (clipboard), and 2) poor battery life undocked. It is a laptop that you can temporarily undock as opposed to a TabletPC that you can occasionally clip a keyboard to. Planned usage makes or breaks the SB as a contender.

Ultimately I chose the Elite X2 over the others (even over a SP4) for 1) self service - you can take it apart yourself -, 2) full size USB port, 3) mSD Card slot, and 4) 10+ hours of battery life in the tablet.

The m5 CPU with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD is more than capable in the Engineering world so I imagine the Legal world would be fine as well!

8. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Elite X2 is not perfect either.

The screen isn't exactly bright and colors and contrast are merely "ok."
    It is also heavier and thicker than SP4, even though SP4 has a fully functional i5.
    And port wise: you can't connect an external display while charging the device. SP4 might not have TB3, but at least you can connect a 4K display without any hassle.

9. dceggert

Yup...I connect my external monitor through the USB port for now using a USB Displaylink box. I am also looking at adding the WiGig module as well. HP had my model listed as coming with it and it turned out that was not the case. So, since it is user serviceable I will test that out....part is on backorder right now.

I have had no issue with the '320 nit' screen...it is plenty bright. The SP4 has a nicer screen but...other limitations.

10. pion2099

pion2099 Pen Pal - Newbie

That Elite X2 is really catching my eye and sounds just about right for my needs. I'm still debating, but I've found a refurbished Helix 2 (20CG0036US) on Amazon for $900, and after the Lenovo depot fixed my Helix 1 it's running better than when it was new, so I'm less concerned than usual when buying refurbished. I think I'm going to pick that up and put it to the test for a day or two before making my decision. I wish I could just see one in a store... Anyway, if I decide to keep it, can anybody recommend a cover for it? The quickshot looks nice, but I don't like having to take it off to dock it, and it's like $60. I wish there was a Flipsteady case for it like I have for the Helix 1 - its been pretty awesome.