ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The Helix 2 has a 2MP front cam and a 5MP autofocus rear camera (hello doc scanning), see the product info page.

No thoughts yet on Helix2 vs HPx2, but I do like those Lenovo keyboards and even the trackpoint (former X220t user here).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Trackpoint, thinkpad keyboard, and dedicated buttons forever, for me. If possible.

The rest is a toss-up, IMO. If another brand had trackpoints and dedicated buttons, I'd probably try wandering, but they're too essential for business habits to try much of anything else.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  3. paalkr

paalkr Pen Pal - Newbie

To be honest, I think they got it all right this time. Maybe they have listened to the user feedback and comments on this and other forums :O

Regards,
    PK

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I agree. I mean, they could have put a silo i8n the tablet itself -- even if for a toothpick Stylus! However, they mostly nailed it. And the price isn't outrageous either. Especially compared to the original Helix.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Wonderful Thinkpad keyboard, trackpoint, dedicated buttons. Smaller, thinner, lighter. Lenovo service. And sure, I'll throw in the nice business black. But those are the basic reasons for me.

They're similar, but they're not the same. I mean, there are actually reasons to like the Helix 2. Though I think it has more to do with the use of the Helix as a laptop though, and less to do with the idea that it's somehow fantastically better as a tablet.

ibmthink likes this.
  6. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, not because its a Lenovo, because its a ThinkPad^^

And the HP Pro x2 612 doesn´t even have Core M, to bring up another point - Helix 2 is a Core M launch device, of course it gets much more attention than a model with "old" technology. Surface Pro 3 on the other hand is a very special device (3:2 form factor).

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Core M isn't anything to brag about. All it tells you is that your CPU has been downclocked yet you are still paying through the nose for it.

8. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

OK, my 2 cents to the discussion: HP Pro x2 612 vs Lenovo Helix 2 based on the Haswell-Y vs Core M benchmarks... Stop, what benchmarks? Yeah... BENCHMARKS! Here we go!

5Y10a @ Helix 2 LENOVO 814EO01008 - Geekbench Browser -- please note, CPU was working on the standard clock of 1 GHz which varies between 800 MHz and 2 GHz in turbo according to ARK | Intel® Core™ M-5Y10a Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.00 GHz)

5Y70 @ Helix 2 LENOVO 814EO01009 - Geekbench Browser -- please note, CPU was working on the standard clock of 1 GHz which varies between 1.1 GHz and 2.6 GHz in turbo according to ARK | Intel® Core™ M-5Y70 Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz)

And... Here is a comparison of 5Y10a @ Helix 2 versus i5-4202Y @ HP Pro x2 612 Hewlett-Packard HP Pro x2 612 G1 vs LENOVO 814EO01008 - Geekbench Browser -- please note, even being at 1 GHz vs 1.6 GHz Helix 2 appears only a hair below HP Pro x2 612. Just wonder to see the picture at the full-throttle :)

PS: I'm curious how come that 5Y70 showed lower numbers versus 5Y10a LENOVO 814EO01009 vs LENOVO 814EO01008 - Geekbench Browser

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Those can't be 1GHz numbers despite what it says. Those have to be max/turbo numbers, just like all other numbers for other models. It aligns nicely (accounting fro Haswell to Broadwell improvements and cooling ability) with other model's numbers if you account for max clock/turbo.

Look at it this way:

HP X2 Pro.................Lenovo Helix 2.................MS Surface Pro 3..............MS Surface Pro 3

4202Y........................5Y10a.............................4020Y...............................4300U
    2.0 GHz max.............2.0 GHz max...................1.5 GHz max....................2.5 GHz max
    3MB L3 cache...........4MB L3 cache.................3MB L3 cache..................3MB L3 cache
    8GB RAM..................4GB RAM.......................4GB RAM.........................8GB RAM
    2137 / 3898...............2064 / 4249....................1585 / 3249......................2642 / 5277

Problem with these numbers are we don't know how long each test took. All the CPUs are designed to turbo up to max as long as there are thermal headroom. Unless the bench artificially limits the clock, they will go to the max clock as long as the cooling allows it.

Given that all 4 systems' bench numbers align nicely with their max clock numbers, I'll have to assume that the tests are short and aren't pushing the thermal envelope.

The million $ question is whether a system like Helix 2, with no active cooling and limited thermal envelope can sustain performance with the real world work loads. Remember, all these Y chips are in essence just cherry picked U chips that can reach low target TDP at reduced clock. They have the ability to max out given the proper cooling.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  10. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

I will take what you suggest if you'll answer my question from the same post:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.