ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Sure, I agree, though for my use micro SD is fine. I'll take it if we get the trackpoint and dedicated buttons back.

Still, honestly, just as important is having variable angles for the screen. I don't see how were supposed to have a legitimate work laptop if we can't tilt the screen while typing. I mean, really? I hope that we'll get more flexibility, as the tablet portion get thinner and lighter with each generation.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Viva science! Down with conjectures! :D Your picture shows the angle very well. Makes me feel better regarding the Helix 1 as I could live with that angle.

Neat-o!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Dang! Sounds pretty wonderful, if its true.

Let's see- checklist....
    trackpoint- check.
    dedicated buttons- check.
    pen- check
    400 nit (very bright!) 1080 screen- check.
    variable angle for screen- check.
    lighter and thinner- check.
    real clamshell ergonomics- check.

Sounds pretty awesome, and seems to resolve various issues I've had with a number of convertibles too (q584, helix, etc). I, too, wish that the screen was 12.1" 16:10, but I expect it has more to do the laptop not being too top heavy than anything else. 16:9 allows for better balance with the tablet-as-screen experience. I'd take a (less-than-ideal) 11.6" 16:9 tablet, if it meant I got a real, honest to god, laptop experience.

I wish they made the pro dock thick in the back (behind the screen) like they do on the normal one- then we'd have a silo for a full-sized pen on the laptop, which would be perfection. I've actually been using an additional pen for work on my TT2 while mobile, and a 2-button one when at my desk, so I've gotten used to carrying a non-silo pen around all the time, but every great once in a while, I've been very happy I had that backup in the silo. If I get something like this, I'll probably carry my normal one in my bag, and a spare in the glove compartment, or something like that. Litter them everywhere. Still, it seems like it would be so easy to remedy, by stealing a design element from the standard dock.

Oh, well. So much else seems very positive about the design.

I wonder if they're going to force different thermal plans on us, the way they did with the Helix 1. That's probably the only last real concern I have, I guess. Of course, there'll be issues when they release, since there always are. The question is how long it'll take it for them to fix them. My guess- 6 months! :) Given that I want the Pro-Keyboard, and I don't like buying when they're brand new anyways, I would probably be just in time for Windows 9... hahahaha!

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

It's still 16:9. You can get a Helix 1 with keyboard dock for $600 used, $750 refurbished (and still un-neutered performance); $1200 for 16:9 Helix 2 is too much in my opinion. If it was 16:10 or 4:3 it would be a much better value.

Bronsky and tijo like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For lack of science: screenshot from the product tour video showing the screen fully folded back using the pro dock. Looks like it opens far enough for most, right? ;)

flattened-helix-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Wow! I just didn't wet myself because I watched the video already knowing that the price was outside my range.... But I'd recommend a condom to others, nonetheless. Just in case.

7. dpeters8445

dpeters8445 Pen Pal - Newbie

As a Helix 1 owner. MY opinion is they make a great laptop but the Helix is way to heavy to be a tablet. My understanding is that the helix 2 is even slightly heavier. I'm very happy with my new Thinkpad tablet 10 and will be happy go sell my Helix.

Helix = Great ultra book / Poor Tablet. Your YMMV

8. antonioz

antonioz Pen Pal - Newbie

16:9 again! Why Lenovo? Why?

9. Tim Q

Tim Q Pen Pal - Newbie

Hands on video from Notebook Check:

[video=youtube;o1OhDwCCHg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1OhDwCCHg0[/video]

BTW, I don't see any dedicated trackpoint buttons on that dock there?

10. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes that is disappointing. If the Helix 2 were 16:10 or 3:2 I would have an easy answer for all things tablet PC. Now I have to make a choice between superior aspect ratios (SP3 or TPT 10) and my dream convertible tablet PC (i.e. a laptop with a detachable screen).

I was hoping the SP3 would start something, seeing as how the TPT 10 went back to a more sane 16:10. I want to use portrait mode again. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.