ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Agreed, plus they only showed a fanless design. Which is why I deleted my original clueless post that you're responding to. :)

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Was that Sandy Bridge? I'll bet it's more powerful for CPU dependent art apps. GPU, I don't know.

3. JoeS

Not sure, this is it on passmark. It scores 3900 vs. the 3300 of the Surface Pro 2.

Anyway, back on topic: for most users the Helix 2 will be pretty great, but for raw computing performance I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Just curious, which art apps are GPU-dependent?

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

None are 100% obviously, but Photoshop and others lets you use Open GL to accelerate some operations. Even Sketchbook Pro uses the GPU for things like canvas rotation if you allow it in options.

6. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It'll all depend on the maximum clock speed that the CPU can sustain. For each newer core i generation there has usually been a 5% to 20% increase clock for clock in performance depending on the workload. So, assuming the worse case scenario, multiply the max sustainable clock speed by 1.16 (1.05^3) to get a rough equivalent to Sandy Bridge with Broadwell. I'd assume that under burst turbo situations, the Core-M will outperform a full voltage Sandy Bridge CPU, but sustained load will really depend on what clock the CPU can sustain under sustained loads. If the cooling is adequate, it should be able to sustain it's max turbo speed.

If Core-M is supported by Intel XTU, you should be able to get a fair amount of info on it, like what is the burst TDP and max sustained turbo limits once products with it are released.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    JoeS likes this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It wasn't clear, but I take no SD slots of any kind? I also take it's the keyboard dock that coming in January with USB 3 port(s)?

8. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Hands-On by Digital-Trends: Hands on: Lenovo ThinkPad Helix | Digital Trends

They say the Pro-Dock comes with backlight.

It has a Micro-SD slot on the Helix tablet part, and the Pro-Dock has 1x USB 3.0

bloodycape and JoeS like this.
  9. JoeS

Wow, basically apart from weight and performance (TBD) I think all my concerns are gone. I think this is the phase that kneehowguys calls 'hype hype hype'. Consider me interested!

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I am still sad it's microSD and not full size SD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.