ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

For science:

Helix Angle.jpg

Also, since the screen is reversible, this means you can also get from 237°-360°. So I guess my question is... what's the use case for 123°-237°? Not doubting, just legitimately curious.

JaneL and Bloody Nokia Adept like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Now why on earth would they wait until January before giving us the good keyboard?

And does anyone have an idea about the max performance of the Helix 2? Would any model outperform say an X220t?

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As far as I know, we haven't seen any Core M benchmarks yet. I'm pretty curious to see its performance myself.

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Very interesting...with the magnetic keyboard it will be $999 (to start I am assuming + optional stuff). Sounds like Surface competition and, I must add, way better than Helix 1 which when released was something like $1,800 (but it came standard with the keyboard dock).

For the record the thickness is only 7/16" on the Helix 1 and not 1/2". So v2 got slightly thinner.

Too bad it is not 16:10 aspect ratio with a microSD card slot. Other than that, I am enjoying my Helix 1 so far and slightly more battery life and less fan 'on' time with the v2 would be in the right direction as long as it does not compromise performance like the Surface Pro 3 did.

Even better yet is that my i7/8GB RAM/256 GB SSD Helix 1 was just a bit more than the TPT10 and it came with the keyboard dock. It may have compromises but I do not miss the Surface Pro 3 I sent back. I do miss my Elitepad 1000 though but I am trying to force myself into a 2-unit situation (Helix + V8P) as a trial run for the future.

5. JoeS

From the wish list thread: a better look at the keyboard. Looks like they didn't screw this one up. Dedicated home/end, no crazy 'adaptive function keys'. The right alt is a little small, and the print screen is in a weird spot, but I can live with that.

helix2-keyboard-layout.jpg

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Plus, surprisingly, it looks like the TrackPoint buttons are actually back.

dceggert likes this.
  7. JoeS

So from the product intro video it's clear that the lightweight dock has a built in silo on the right.

On the Lenovo forums they say that the hinge angle can now go to almost 180deg.

Edit: the product tour video mentions a charging tray. I wonder what that's about? Wireless charging or something else?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Taking bets: Core-M will be marginally more powerful than top end Baytrail and trail Broadwell U by a healthy margin.

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ummm.... Broadwell U Helix 2 ain't happening with that thickness. It's gonna be Core-M only product for sure.

10. JoeS

This is why I was asking whether the Helix 2 could outperform my ancient X220t. I know, full voltage vs ulv fanless is not fair, but I'd really like a powerful hybrid, as in 'more powerful than a convertible from four generations back'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.