ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

True, but the other keyboard with a flexible angel does seem to have a trackpoint with dedicated buttons, which is a BIG selling point to me. Who wants a fixed angle keyboard anyways? I guess there are people out there who might prefer it, but if I was going to buy a keyboard attaché but, first thing I'd want is variable angles.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

No argument there from me, just thought I'd include this picture here. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the weight of the three keyboard combo's.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Fair enough re: weight. I anticipate a heavy keyboard for the "real deal". Perhaps 3-4 lbs total, combined with the tablet. Acceptable to me, if it really provides something. I want the tablet thin and light, but I don't need my laptop that light, honestly. Not at the expense of real functionality (like balance, extra batteries, silo, fans, etc). Well, we'll just have to wait and see for now.... :)

4. JoeS

Looking back at an old wish list I hope they at least implemented backlit keys and included some kind of card slot. And if it's 3 lbs with full keyboard attached, I might have to take the plunge.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I agree 98%. I am enjoying my Helix 1 very much but the lack of a backlit keyboard made typing difficult on a recent trip in a dark motorhome. The lack of a card reader is solved for me with the 256 GB SSD; I sync to my 128 GB microSD card with a USB reader which I can then pop into my other devices pretty quickly...I don't miss it at all anymore.

On a recent family trip I had more questions using my Helix 1 then all the questions I ever had with my Elitepads. Most of the questions with the Elitepads were usually 'phablet' related but the questions on the Helix were more 'is that a Surface?' The question was usually followed by how much the individual did not like the keyboard on the Surface but they loved the keyboard on the Helix. I was demonstrating the removable screen, stand mode, tablet+ mode, and slate mode many times a day. The adjustable angle keybaord with the trackpoint is the way to go if you type a lot. The lighter weight one may be good too for carrying it in your bag 'just in case' if you intend to use it more in slate mode. I use mine in slate mode about 80% of the time and carry the keyboard 'just in case.' So far I really like the form factor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

I could definitely let go of the silo if it means the digitizer is always on. For now the only thing the silo does for me is act as a switch for my fujitsu pen. I can count on one hand the times I've used the mini-stylus!

Wouldn't mind less heat, so long as it can still run PS CC as well as or better than Helix I. I would have very much preferred a larger screen or different aspect ratio, but what can ya do. :/

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I'm getting more and more enamored with the Helix. It's expensive, but it has a bunch of ports....and a silo....and a real keyboard (included in the price)! Too bad they didn't give the keyboard adjustable angles. Man, that was such a crime! It's an expensive business machine, after all!!!

8. JoeS

I'm probably misreading, but just in case: the original Helix AND the leaked Helix 2 offer a rigidly attachable keyboard with variable screen angle. For the new model (from OP):

lenovo_thinkpad_helix48kst.jpg

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

My fault. I wasn't clear. Its keyboard doesn't adjust much. I've seen the videos and the keyboard probably opens to a maximum of some 115 degrees.

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Officially announced as Broadwell / Core M: Lenovo's ThinkPad Helix returns with a thinner design and longer battery life

Also with regards to keyboard:

JoeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.