ThinkPad Helix 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Q

Tim Q Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    JaneL likes this.
  2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The only thing "hi-tech" in the keyboard is the TouchPad, which, in most laptops, leaves a lot to be desired. The ports and the battery are relatively old tech. The battery must cost $20 in China....

I know people who work with imports. It is amazing the difference between the factory's price and the price pople pay at the stores. A Bluetooth Keyboard should never cost more than $40. And this one shouldn't be more than $120. People are being milked. A mere keyboard (with or without battery) shouldn't sell for 20% of the cost of the actual computer.

I guess that's better (or less worse) than "not making a keyboard for the device" and hear us complaining about it.... :confused:

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Oh, I don't deny that Lenovo is making bank. Is it expensive? Sure. But Thinkpads are generally well built, are wonderful to type on, and have good service. If I want a Thinkpad-quality keyboard for a Helix 2, and I want a trackpoint and dedicated buttons badly enough, then they command the market. They can charge what they want, because they're the only game in town. There are no alternatives. That's capitalism for you.

Paying a premium for the fact that it's a device that fills a specific niche is fine with me. Right now, I've stayed with the x230t, because there are simply no other devices that let me work the way I do right now. So, 200$ for a fancy keyboard that connects to a Wacom tablet if fine with me-- right now, I can't pay 1000$ and get that keyboard, no matter what. From that perspective, 200$ seems like a steal.

If you don't really want a Thinkpad typing experience, or you don't need a trackpoint with dedicated buttons, then I don't see any reason to get the keyboard. If you want those things though, then I think there are lots of other options anyways. The Helix 2 is only one among manyother perfectly fine options, IMO, once you take away the keyboard.

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The snap on flimsy keyboard for the Surface Pro 3 is $130. You get a second battery wih the Helix Pro KB, trackpoint, ports, hinge, etc. as already pointed out but really what you get is the most developed 'laptop' experience on the planet when you dock the device to it. For that it is priceless!

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

General caution on HP consumer machines such as the upcoming Envy x2 will be. While they often build an awesome product (recently: Spectre T-3000, earlier Envy 14 Spectre) they have a nasty habit on the consumer side of discontinuing great products 6-9 months from first release and they don't upgrade them, they entirely abandon the model line and form factor and start all over! It's maddening. I owned both of those and I sold the Spectre 13 because I just didn't want an orphan product I'd paid $1.100 for. Kept the other as I'd only paid $400 open box and it is, as I describe in one of my sigs: "a very competent computer disguised as a work of art!

With all the knocks on HP over the past, I have to say they come out with fabulous designs and often give excellent support, but if you want continuity you really have to stick to their Pro and Elitebook lines.

6. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Well simple... just think about how many go and by a Macbook? *shrivers*

Though I am thinking if I should pick up a Helix 1 now. Saw one fully loaded refurbished, i7 with 8GB on eBay for $900, seems like a nice deal while I wait for Helix 2 to come down in price.

7. dceggert

Yup! I just picked up a second one because my son called from college to let me know the harddrive is failing on the old Fujitsu T580 he is using and he wanted to get something with a larger screen. I am so impressed with the Helix 1 I am using that I bought a second off eBay, with 2.5 years of warranty left, for him! This one was significantly less than a TPT10 (unless you got one of them for $399) and it came with a keyboard, power brick, pen, and Office 2013 already installated!

8. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree that you (and I) as an individual are likely to do this. However, organisations looking to deploy a Line-of-Business app that includes a document scan/closeup photos as part of the business process (e.g. Insurance Adjusters working in the field) would probably prefer to deploy a platform that handles all functions of the app, rather than get their employees to juggle multiple devices.

9. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, I agree with gcoup on this item. Our business "world" consists of people who inspect properties (appraisers/valuers/surveyors, depending on the country), Insurance types Emergency First Responders, etc. We cover approximately 70% of this business here, so we have a lot of people who express this to us. They absolutely desire a decent camera for documentation purposes on their Tablets over a separate device, be it a DSLR, point-and-shoot or phone. A Core M SP3 with a decent camera would be a great fit, especially if it had an anti-glare screen and was available in a "mini"... Oh, and a Helix/Transformer-style keyboard dock ;-) As it is, the H2, even with its inferior 16:9 screen (and glossy, to boot!) is more interesting to them. The "business rugged" aspects fit an outdoor work environment but the main item we hear about is the camera. A Nokia 2520 with active pen and the camera from the L1020 or even the Icon/930/1520 would suffice, too...

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

10. dceggert

Yes, I use my TabletPC camera for:
    - barcode documentation of parts
    - issue resolution photos - before and after
    - document scans
    - whiteboard documentation

I use it at warehouse locations, lab environments, and even in conference rooms to document the notes on the whiteboard. Having it integrated into one device is important.

I will not use the integrated camera for vacation pics or other photos/snapshots although I have used it for cat videos just because I was working in the chair when the cat decided to come over and try something insane but it is not its main purpose for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.